BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
Hello,

I have been into vaping for 1 year now.
I have owned two iJust S's, a smok fit,
And now owning a smok Alien 220W kit with the
Geekvape Zeus dual RTA & an iJust with the DROP RDA, both
Running dual Alien claptons @ 0.21ohms.
This has been the dream setup I had been wishing for.

I have always liked the mech look, the small form factor
And also the huge vapor output.
So to get a similar experience, that's why I went for the iJust S + drop RDA,
but the power output is less than enough.

I have been thinking a lot about building a mech mod,
But the safety question always comes up first. Yes, I do understand
The ohm's law, battery safety etc., but so did my friend until his
Mech mod just popped on the table of his room.

Is my confidence on point and I should look forward on building a mechanical mod,
Or just stick to the regulated mods instead?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Building a mech mod is not particularly difficult. There are many kits out there. Your assumption that mechs make bigger clouds is false though. Mechs DO tend to be small for their relative power because there is no pcb to take up space. You pay for that savings with safety though.

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
Building a mech mod is not particularly difficult. There are many kits out there. Your assumption that mechs make bigger clouds is false though. Mechs DO tend to be small for their relative power because there is no pcb to take up space. You pay for that savings with safety though.
Well I didn't mean that directly mechs make bigger clouds, but they tend to make bigger
Clouds then their form factor competitors like the iJust S's and iJust 3's battery.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I'm no mechy, but the resistance of the atty and the voltage and amp output of the battery determine your cloud production. They don't have to be subohm lunghitters. If you want to dial it in you have to adjust your battery type or your coil build, whereas on a regulated mod you just push a button...

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
My thoughts need further information from you. Are you talking a purely mechanical mod, a FET switched Mod, single cell, multiple cells, series or parallel if multiple cells, etc?
I'm talking a VGOD Mech Pro 2 with the VTC4's. As far as I am aware - a purely mechanical mod with a single cell.

Reactions: stols001

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
I'm no mechy, but the resistance of the atty and the voltage and amp output of the battery determine your cloud production. They don't have to be subohm lunghitters. If you want to dial it in you have to adjust your battery type or your coil build, whereas on a regulated mod you just push a button...
I understand that, but I have seen some mad builds on a single cell, like .09 ohms, pulling 40Amps etc, while the ijust is limited to 50W and 80W.

Reactions: Mark Spivey

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I understand that, but I have seen some mad builds on a single cell, like .09 ohms, pulling 40Amps etc, while the ijust is limited to 50W and 80W.
Well that ain't super safe lol but if you know what your doing I guess. Hope they were dual battery mechs.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
That just sounds like a boom waiting to happen, there's no 18650 capable of doing 40 amps (i doubt there's any REAL battery capable of such anyway, unless maybe 26650 but i don't own any)

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
Have you checked out something like the Nunchaku? I think that's what it was... Mechs are going to be the smallest form factor compared to single 18650 80 type mods, I get that.
I haven't been aware of these kind of mods. Thank you! But I guess this is where the iJust 3's battery comes in. More compact, slicker, but lacks the output control.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Seriously, though, something like that is your goal, don't start anywhere near that low and learn learn learn.

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
That just sounds like a boom waiting to happen, there's no 18650 capable of doing 40 amps (i doubt there's any REAL battery capable of such anyway, unless maybe 26650 but i don't own any)
Well, I was thinking more of the "pulsing" prespective, not the CDR. Saw RipTrippers pulling 180W 60Amps from a parallel dual mech mod with the VTC4's.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I haven't been aware of these kind of mods. Thank you! But I guess this is where the iJust 3's battery comes in. More compact, slicker, but lacks the output control.
Oh yes there are a slew of 80 watt or close to it single battery regulated mods that are barely bigger than a mech, the ipv D2 was a really good one a few years ago, many others now.

Mark Spivey

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Knoxville, TN
I'm talking a VGOD Mech Pro 2 with the VTC4's. As far as I am aware - a purely mechanical mod with a single cell.

I thought you were talking about a DIY build. I’ve built just about everything I could imagine, from purely mechanical to DNA250s utilizing just about every battery source. Personally I like a PWM LiPo Mod about the best. I’ve built my own circuits and have used manufactured boards. It all comes down to a personal preference and you defining exactly what your wants and expectations are.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I don't use any 26 or 27xxx batts but there are some that do 40 amps from what I've seen in other posts.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Isn’t the iJust a starter kit? They use these in cloud competition?

If clouds are your goal get an RDA and learn how to build coils with large surface area and low ramp up time. And use max VG juice.

I wouldn’t try pulling 40amps out of a VTC4 with a mech mod. You’re asking for trouble there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread