Building a mech mod? Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Spivey

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Knoxville, TN
Dude has some serious trick skills. Some of the volume illusion is from slow motion utilization. Also, on one of the tricks he takes four hits to do it.

He is running what appears to be a dual fused Claptons with 4/3 wraps. I’m guessing they are around 3.5mm diameter. Using steam-engine.org wire wizard and assuming the Clapton’s are dual core 28AWG with a 40AWG wrap with a 3.5mm ID (all Kanthal A1) each Coil would be around 0.48 Ohms resulting in a 0.24 Ohm dual coil build. This would result in approximately 18 to 19 Amps draw on a freshly charged battery with no appreciable mod voltage drop. If it were a fairly new quality 18650 with a CDR 20A or more I would vape it!

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Well this is one of the guys:
Really blows my mind and leaves me a lot of questions.
Any idea?;)
I agree with @untar and @Mark Spivey Deep multiple inhale technique. Slow motion and light enhanced recording.

He never did show the battery he is using. The large diameter mod he was using could have been using one of the 21XXX size batteries which often have a higher amp rating than an 18650... up to 40 amps (?). He is also using thick twisted wire and huge diameter coils which can accomodate the use of larger than average wick. He probably uses a few ml of e-liquid with each drag he takes.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
So I have had this question for quite a while in my head:
What about all the Instagram vapers? They seem to have
A single cell mech mod but they're throwing some massive
Clouds with short hits and even make my 0.16ohm dual claptons
Look like a 10 year old's coughed up juul vapor.

Probably like what I do, run a single coil that might or might not be a Clapton/Alien or just plain wire at 0.30 - 0.50 ohms. Then, you can use a tight or small chambered RDA and wind up with enough cloud to fill half a room or some full rooms. A lot of it comes to airflow, pg/vg ratio too. I know for example that I use full on all vg or if not all vg at least 98% vg, that creates more robust clouds. Pg carries your flavor or so it used to be said. Well, use a small chamber rda and you get hella flavor as well.

Take a look at a Wasp Nano rda once. They aren't too big. There's the Tiny Demon Killer which is smaller at 14mm diameter but shoot the 22mm diameter Wasp does fine. :) I'm using a simple 0.50 or so Kanthal 24 awg wire coil, it's nothing fancy just a bit of Kanthal wound around 2.5 mm ID. But, it makes decent cloud cover. :) And for bonuses, well the Pico Squeeze has a Switchfet or Mosfet to protect from shorts. My brass Coppervape has no fuses, no screens, no chips and is full mech. It has a Gorge on it now with the same kind of coil. I get a solid day out of an 18650 charged battery, maybe two depending on chain vaping or not, and on both mods.

TL;DR Version: As said earlier: Technique & Lighting. *chuckles* I also agree with @Baditude , we need to respect our batteries. I have had one minor accident with a battery that was probably on me, user error. I now keep my poop clean more so, near obsessively. I don't want bits of metal on my batteries, no matter if it's just metal dust. Put that battery in mod, feel the glow! I was fortunate and got the battery out of the mod before it either A vented B blew the F up in an aluminum mod becoming a literal pipe bomb. You need to watch what you're doing.

Hint: Playing hot potato with a hot battery as you run outside with it to get away from others is no fun at all.

The other minor incident I've had was more than likely due to the battery having been a cheap faker & about a year old. It stopped working and I being silly tried to get it to hold a charge. It too got a little warm. My dog, good service mutt he is, barked at me and alerted me to a little poof of smoke. Got it out of the charger and it went outside too.

Last edited:

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
Dude has some serious trick skills. Some of the volume illusion is from slow motion utilization. Also, on one of the tricks he takes four hits to do it.

He is running what appears to be a dual fused Claptons with 4/3 wraps. I’m guessing they are around 3.5mm diameter. Using steam-engine.org wire wizard and assuming the Clapton’s are dual core 28AWG with a 40AWG wrap with a 3.5mm ID (all Kanthal A1) each Coil would be around 0.48 Ohms resulting in a 0.24 Ohm dual coil build. This would result in approximately 18 to 19 Amps draw on a freshly charged battery with no appreciable Mod voltage drop. If it were a fairly new quality 18650 with a CDR 20A or more I would vape it!
Hmm, pretty detailed I must say, thank you! Not sure what half of that means, but I'll make sure to find out. ;) So basically as I understand it is 50% the skill of building and wicking and 50% the techniques used to capture the footage. As I saw he had close to none realtime footage, the building, wicking and pulsing part sped up and the slow motion part was when he was firing for few seconds before doing the tricks.

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
I agree with @untar and @Mark SpiveyHe is also using thick twisted wire and huge diameter coils which can accomodate the use of larger than average wick. He probably uses a few ml of e-liquid with each drag he takes.
Sounds good, but sadly I'm stuck with my 8 in 1 coil kit:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/KOLE-Prebuilt-Coil-Coils-48PCS/dp/B01LFI8CIM

Can't complain, but I have no idea how others perform except the Alien claptons that I'm
Running on my DROP and Zeus Dual @.2ohms.
Any recommendations for my iJust S that is limited to 50W?
I have no experience with other coils.

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
Probably like what I do, run a single coil that might or might not be a Clapton/Alien or just plain wire at 0.30 - 0.50 ohms. Then, you can use a tight or small chambered RDA and wind up with enough cloud to fill half a room or some full rooms. A lot of it comes to airflow, pg/vg ratio too. I know for example that I use full on all vg or if not all vg at least 98% vg, that creates more robust clouds. Pg carries your flavor or so it used to be said. Well, use a small chamber rda and you get hella flavor as well.

Take a look at a Wasp Nano rda once. They aren't too big. There's the Tiny Demon Killer which is smaller at 14mm diameter but shoot the 22mm diameter Wasp does fine. :) I'm using a simple 0.50 or so Kanthal 24 awg wire coil, it's nothing fancy just a bit of Kanthal wound around 2.5 mm ID. But, it makes decent cloud cover. :) And for bonuses, well the Pico Squeeze has a Switchfet or Mosfet to protect from shorts. My brass Coppervape has no fuses, no screens, no chips and is full mech. It has a Gorge on it now with the same kind of coil. I get a solid day out of an 18650 charged battery, maybe two depending on chain vaping or not, and on both mods.

TL;DR Version: As said earlier: Technique & Lighting. *chuckles* I also agree with @Baditude , we need to respect our batteries. I have had one minor accident with a battery that was probably on me, user error. I now keep my poop clean more so, near obsessively. I don't want bits of metal on my batteries, no matter if it's just metal dust. Put that battery in mod, feel the glow! I was fortunate and got the battery out of the mod before it either A vented B blew the F up in an aluminum mod becoming a literal pipe bomb. You need to watch what you're doing.

Hint: Playing hot potato with a hot battery as you run outside with it to get away from others is no fun at all.

The other minor incident I've had was more than likely due to the battery having been a cheap faker & about a year old. It stopped working and I being silly tried to get it to hold a charge. It too got a little warm. My dog, good service mutt he is, barked at me and alerted me to a little poof of smoke. Got it out of the charger and it went outside too.
I guess a single coil build is a must do in the future!
Well, the battery problems. I ordered 2 sets on ebay: VTC4 and 30Q's.
Both came from reputable sellers, one from a german seller and one well known in china.
Guess I won't be doing that again. Local vape shops rip people off by not specifying battery names, like VTC4's or 30Q's or VTC5a's and charging up to 15 euro for a single cell!
Gladly found better sellers at home country, providing cheaper batteries (single VTC5A for 7 euro), with a lot of good feedback. Now they have sales and I'm thinking of grabbing the deal with the price of 3.88euro for a single VTC4.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
I guess a single coil build is a must do in the future!
Well, the battery problems. I ordered 2 sets on ebay: VTC4 and 30Q's.
Both came from reputable sellers, one from a german seller and one well known in china.
Guess I won't be doing that again. Local vape shops rip people off by not specifying battery names, like VTC4's or 30Q's or VTC5a's and charging up to 15 euro for a single cell!
Gladly found better sellers at home country, providing cheaper batteries (single VTC5A for 7 euro), with a lot of good feedback. Now they have sales and I'm thinking of grabbing the deal with the price of 3.88euro for a single VTC4.

My lesson was learned as well, do not accept what a B&M just tosses at you for batteries. Some battery companies misreport info on their batteries as well. Can say I no longer use Efest batteries. I buy batteries here and will likely next buy AWR brand batteries.

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
My lesson was learned as well, do not accept what a B&M just tosses at you for batteries. Some battery companies misreport info on their batteries as well. Can say I no longer use Efest batteries. I buy batteries here and will likely next buy AWR brand batteries.
I am sticking only to Samsung and Sony batteries. Those rewraps have always made me curious with all the fake specs. IMR batteries have a really high shipping cost to europe. I ordered from nkon.nl, the shipping cost 10 euros. Well I guess guaranteed safety comes with a cost. By all meanings, huge thanks for the information! ;)

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Sounds good, but sadly I'm stuck with my 8 in 1 coil kit:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/KOLE-Prebuilt-Coil-Coils-48PCS/dp/B01LFI8CIM

Can't complain, but I have no idea how others perform except the Alien claptons that I'm
Running on my DROP and Zeus Dual @.2ohms.
Any recommendations for my iJust S that is limited to 50W?
I have no experience with other coils.
If coil building arent your thing these guys build some really nice coils for a decent price
Advanced Vape Supply

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
If coil building arent your thing these guys build some really nice coils for a decent price
Advanced Vape Supply
Hm, thank you! I'll be sure to check them out!
What type of coils would you recommend to use personally?
Tigers, quads, flat twisted's, hive's or the claptons or other options?
The Alien Clapton's turned out too low for my iJust S battery, it just struggles heating it up.
Note that I am running a dual coil RDA/RTA*

Last edited:

Mark Spivey

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Knoxville, TN

I use only three Brands: Samsung, Sony, and LG (the LGs are in my regulated sub-200 watt and Sony exclusively in Mechs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread