Building a mech mod? Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
In a parallel 18650 cell mod you can safely pull 40A because the current is only 20A per cell. 40A on any single cell or series dual cell is a disaster in wait.

I agree but isn’t the objective to make a small device? The VGod that is referenced is a single 18650 cell. Unless I am looking at the wrong VGod.

Mark Spivey

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Knoxville, TN
My thing here is, you really don't need to go to that extreme to get pretty huge clouds and tons of flavor.

It really comes down to the coil build that you want to run to achieve the cloud/flavor/temperature of vape. It really is a system. Coil, battery or batteries, actuation/housing.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Well, I was thinking more of the "pulsing" prespective, not the CDR. Saw RipTrippers pulling 180W 60Amps from a parallel dual mech mod with the VTC4's.
if there's one thing i NEVER recommend is doing what youtubers are doing, specially rip they are dangerous and i NEVER EVER would say they know what they're doing.

I don't use any 26 or 27xxx batts but there are some that do 40 amps from what I've seen in other posts.
If it dosen't come from our own Mooch i would'nt consider this as real or accurate at all. The highest i've seen for 18650 is 30 amps not 40.
If it comes from a Mooch post though ignore this comment :p

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I understand that, but I have seen some mad builds on a single cell, like .09 ohms, pulling 40Amps etc, while the ijust is limited to 50W and 80W.

Yes, I do understand
The ohm's law, battery safety etc.,

I hate to say this, but these two statements just don't go together. But maybe this is a good starting point. You know you want a certain style of vape, you also need to learn more about how to achieve that and the gear to use, this will help you get there.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
if there's one thing i NEVER recommend is doing what youtubers are doing, specially rip they are dangerous and i NEVER EVER would say they know what they're doing.

If it dosen't come from our own Mooch i would'nt consider this as real or accurate at all. The highest i've seen for 18650 is 30 amps not 40.
Definitely correct. I was mentioning a larger size batt, and I could be wrong.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
If it comes from a Mooch post though ignore this comment :p

You're absolutely correct. Mooch's take on the subject:

There are no 18650 batteries with a genuine rating over 30A! | E-Cigarette Forum

Mooch has mentioned that there may be some batteries with higher ratings coming, but they're not here yet.

Well, I was thinking more of the "pulsing" prespective, not the CDR.

'Pulse ratings' are not valid. First, there's no standard so they're not comparable from battery to battery. Second, they don't account for misfires and the like. The first rule in mech battery safety is never exceed the CDR. (Or is the first rule 'know the (real) CDR'?)

Here's Mooch on pulse ratings:

Battery pulse ratings are useless! | E-Cigarette Forum

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
It really comes down to the coil build that you want to run to achieve the cloud/flavor/temperature of vape. It really is a system. Coil, battery or batteries, actuation/housing.
I thought you were talking about a DIY build. I’ve built just about everything I could imagine, from purely mechanical to DNA250s utilizing just about every battery source. Personally I like a PWM LiPo Mod about the best. I’ve built my own circuits and have used manufactured boards. It all comes down to a personal preference and you defining exactly what your wants and expectations are.
In a parallel 18650 cell Mod you can safely pull 40A because the current is only 20A per cell. 40A on any single cell or series dual cell is a disaster in wait.
I have a good impression you know what you're talking about.
Going full DIY, oh boy, that truly would be a disaster.
I guess I'm sticking to the regulated, fixed output mods then.
P.S Wasn't it that in a series 18650 cell Mod you can safely pull 40A because the current is only 20A per cell?

Last edited:

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
You're absolutely correct. Mooch's take on the subject:

There are no 18650 batteries with a genuine rating over 30A! | E-Cigarette Forum

Mooch has mentioned that there may be some batteries with higher ratings coming, but they're not here yet.

'Pulse ratings' are not valid. First, there's no standard so they're not comparable from battery to battery. Second, they don't account for misfires and the like. The first rule in mech battery safety is never exceed the CDR. (Or is the first rule 'know the (real) CDR'?)

Here's Mooch on pulse ratings:

Battery pulse ratings are useless! | E-Cigarette Forum
Well I guess this is bad news for me. Hopefully when I show my friends this thread, they will stop pulling 220W from a baby beast with the T8 coil, with unnamed batteries they have no info about except they're "green".
Sounds like the iJust 3's battery with the powerful up to 80W output is just for me.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Wasn't it that in a series 18650 cell Mod you can safely pull 40A because the current is only 20A per cell?
In a dual battery series Mech the current has only one path to ground. Each cell sees the full amount of current
Exactly. In a simple circuit like ours the current is the same everywhere, so if you pull 40A on series stacked batteries the full current goes through both and doesn't split.
In a parallel configuration the current is split and more amps can be drawn (though a bit less than twice the amount).

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
To preempt a common misconception - that doesn't mean a parallel configuration puts out more power than a series configuration.

P = U*I
(in plain english: power is voltage multiplied by current)

parallel increases power by current, series by voltage. If you double the voltage but current stays the same or double the current but voltage stays the same still results in the same power output.

2*U * I = U * 2*I

Mark Spivey

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Knoxville, TN
To preempt a common misconception - that doesn't mean a parallel configuration puts out more power than a series configuration.

P = U*I
(in plain english: power is voltage multiplied by current)

parallel increases power by current, series by voltage. If you double the voltage but current stays the same or double the current but voltage stays the same still results in the same power output.

2*U * I = U * 2*I

And that’s why I asked about the coil earlier on! Voltage=Current*Resistance and Power= Voltage*Current
If he wants to run a higher resistance coil, which is what one really needs to do with a series stacked. If he wants to run low resistance coils then parallel batteries are a necessity. I think too many people have the misconception that you have to go really low resistance to get clouds and flavor.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Well I guess this is bad news for me. Hopefully when I show my friends this thread, they will stop pulling 220W from a baby beast with the T8 coil, with unnamed batteries they have no info about except they're "green".

I would certainly hope so. That use of batteries is profoundly unsafe.

Sounds like the iJust 3's battery with the powerful up to 80W output is just for me.

Two points:
  1. The iJust 3 uses an internal battery, not an 18650, so it's irrelevant to my comments.
  2. Even if it did use an 18650, I quoted Mooch saying that the limit was 30 amps, not 30 watts. A 30 A battery in a regulated mod would safely go to 90 W. There's a nice explanation of the various electrical units here.

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
I understand that, but I have seen some mad builds on a single cell, like .09 ohms, pulling 40Amps etc, while the ijust is limited to 50W and 80W.

With a single cell mech you really should not be pushing it much further than the ijust, even with good quality cells. Some build that low and get away with it. Some don't. It's far easier and safer to get big clouds out of a decent regulated mod. If you want high power levels you have to accept a larger form factor.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Well, I was thinking more of the "pulsing" prespective, not the CDR. Saw RipTrippers pulling 180W 60Amps from a parallel dual mech mod with the VTC4's.
:facepalm:
Word of advice. Rip Trippers is a complete idiot. Don't believe everything you hear on his channel.

I don't use any 26 or 27xxx batts but there are some that do 40 amps from what I've seen in other posts.

I don't use or even look into the 26xxx batteries so I cannot say anything about them. But with 20700s the highest CDR I have seen is 30a (multiple cells rated at this levell 21700s the highest CDR I have seen so far was 35a, which is the 30T
Bench Retest Results: Samsung 30T 21700...an incredible 35A 3000mAh battery!

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
I understand that, but I have seen some mad builds on a single cell, like .09 ohms, pulling 40Amps

Wow. That's unlikely for a few different reasons. Someone is going to wind up with a roman candle or pipe bomb going off their hands.

I use single cell 18650 mech mods. The lowest sub ohm coil I hit on was about 0.13 ohms. I did it just to see how it vaped. Imho, it was way too hot & choked me out. The battery also got just a little warm. I took that coil out of the deck and built a new 0.30 ohm coil. Enjoyed a fresh battery that had been charged two days before, and a good day vaping as the battery from the mod cooled and then got put on to charge.

The lowest I keep aiming to hit with no real success is a 0.25 ohms coil. No success for me means I still keep finding that way too hot to vape. It also saps the battery charge on 30 amp battery way too quick. Like to vape all day, maybe two days on a battery if I can.

Instead of building a mech right away, you might want to try learning some more about them, maybe get one to learn using. Whatever you do though, keep safety in mind. Not trying to scare you away with my post nor trying to tell someone lacking experience to go dive into the deep end. My message is ... please take your time & learn some more. I think you might do alright on regulated mods using a 0.30 ohm coil too. You can try that, set it up as a bit of a goal, "build a good vaping 0.30 ohm coil".

A hint, I find it is usually five or seven wraps around 3 to 3.5 mm inner diameter. :) Kanthal is great too by the way, NiChrome 80 if you want to try Nichrome. NiChrome 60 is not good for vaping applications. I think it's used for something nautical, a heater of some kind. Well, hope you can get along well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread