Building a mech mod? Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
:facepalm:
Word of advice. Rip Trippers is a complete idiot. Don't believe everything you hear on his channel.

His videos are beyond obnoxious as well, I remember the first time (and last time) I had the misfortune of stumbling upon one of his videos. My ears were in complete agony. It blows my mind anyone can put up with those style of videos. Clips of obnoxious shouting in a childrens cartoon voice. Makes my brain hurt even thinking about it.

Its like taking 4 to 6 second clips of Barney (or whatever childhood show) and mashing them together into a 10 to 20 minute video. That would be a real nightmare.

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
Wow. That's unlikely for a few different reasons. Someone is going to wind up with a roman candle or pipe bomb going off their hands.

I use single cell 18650 mech mods. The lowest sub ohm coil I hit on was about 0.13 ohms. I did it just to see how it vaped. Imho, it was way too hot & choked me out. The battery also got just a little warm. I took that coil out of the deck and built a new 0.30 ohm coil. Enjoyed a fresh battery that had been charged two days before, and a good day vaping as the battery from the mod cooled and then got put on to charge.

The lowest I keep aiming to hit with no real success is a 0.25 ohms coil. No success for me means I still keep finding that way too hot to vape. It also saps the battery charge on 30 amp battery way too quick. Like to vape all day, maybe two days on a battery if I can.

Instead of building a mech right away, you might want to try learning some more about them, maybe get one to learn using. Whatever you do though, keep safety in mind. Not trying to scare you away with my post nor trying to tell someone lacking experience to go dive into the deep end. My message is ... please take your time & learn some more. I think you might do alright on regulated mods using a 0.30 ohm coil too. You can try that, set it up as a bit of a goal, "build a good vaping 0.30 ohm coil".

A hint, I find it is usually five or seven wraps around 3 to 3.5 mm inner diameter. :) Kanthal is great too by the way, NiChrome 80 if you want to try Nichrome. NiChrome 60 is not good for vaping applications. I think it's used for something nautical, a heater of some kind. Well, hope you can get along well. :)
Thank you very much for this recommendation!
Even though I get so much support here, I guess I will stick to the regulated mods until I meet a person that is smarter than me in person. So far everyone around me has minimal almost to no knowledge about vapes, and those who have built mechs, ended up them blowing up on their desks.

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
His videos are beyond obnoxious as well, I remember the first time (and last time) I had the misfortune of stumbling upon one of his videos. My ears were in complete agony. It blows my mind anyone can put up with those style of videos. Clips of obnoxious shouting in a childrens cartoon voice. Makes my brain hurt even thinking about it.

Its like taking 4 to 6 second clips of Barney (or whatever childhood show) and mashing them together into a 10 to 20 minute video. That would be a real nightmare.
Well
:facepalm:
Word of advice. Rip Trippers is a complete idiot. Don't believe everything you hear on his channel.

Well I get the feeling he's high before every single video (Don't get me wrong, this is only my opinion), so I'm not taking him so serious and that's why I made this post with the abnormal resistances and withdrawals from a single cell.

Mark Spivey

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Knoxville, TN
Thank you very much for this recommendation!
Even though I get so much support here, I guess I will stick to the regulated mods until I meet a person that is smarter than me in person. So far everyone around me has minimal almost to no knowledge about vapes, and those who have built mechs, ended up them blowing up on their desks.

I tried to get the needed information from you to help. I’ve got wiring/build diagrams and I’m an electronic engineer. Best of luck with your endeavors.

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
I tried to get the needed information from you to help. I’ve got wiring/build diagrams and I’m an electronic engineer. Best of luck with your endeavors.
I got the overall idea of building mechs. I don't want to go too much into detailed questions, since I'd make myself look even more of a fool than it is. I hugely appreciate all of your help, so I mustn't disagree with an electronic engineer ;).

Mark Spivey

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Knoxville, TN
I got the overall idea of building mechs. I don't want to go too much into detailed questions, since I'd make myself look even more of a fool than it is. I hugely appreciate all of your help, so I mustn't disagree with an electronic engineer ;).

Oh, you can if you want to... [emoji6] You can always PM me. I don’t mind.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The thing with mechanical mods and super sub-ohm coils is you MUST know what you are doing. Most novices aren't aware of what they DON'T KNOW. Coils must be measured with a reliable meter (never assume so many wraps = XX ohms). You have to calculate the "amp draw" of the coil and know the true amp rating of the battery you are using.

The three most important things to know when using sub-ohm coils for an UNREGULATED MECHANICAL mod are:
  1. Know the true amp limit of the battery you have.
  2. Know the amp draw of your coil.
  3. Never exceed the continuous discharge rating (amps limit) of your battery.

Nothing wrong with using a mechanical mod, but always consider safety first when using one. Most mechs have no protection circuitry to help keep you from doing something stupid or help keep you from harm's way. Using a mech, the only protection you have is between your ears. And using a metal tube mech with no ventilation holes (in case a battery vents), means it is literally a potential pipe bomb waiting for you to make a mistake.

upload_2017-12-19_16-22-46-jpeg.706937
upload_2017-12-19_16-22-2-jpeg.706933

Concerning those crazy low coil builds using a single battery mech:
oozm79d.jpg

Last edited:

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Mechs dont have to be scary, they just have to be respected. Personally I fuse every mech or PWM I build. Its cheap insurance. To be honest, for my first mod I would choose something simpler. If you just want to build one yourself there are plenty of good kits out there including DNA. If you want I can help you with a kit or I can put you one together. There are some good videos out there to. I suggest "analog box mods". He has some excellent videos on youtube with everything from mechs to pwm to dna.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

The best reason to go with a regulated mod is safety. Other reasons are high wattage and adjustability from as low as 1 watt up to about 235 watts. If your atomizer shorts the regulated mod will shut down and display "atomizer shorted". If that happens on a mech you could get serious burns or at worst it would spew and eventually blow the cell casing (possible but not guaranteed). You can fuse a mech and make it safer, but you'll have more fun and greater peace of mind with a regulated mod.

There's really no reason to use a mech for high wattage. Mech users typically vape at 10W to about 30W.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Mech users typically vape at 10W to about 30W.

Not fully disagreeing here, merely stating that some mech mods might hit around 50W to start out on a charged battery. After vaping a while then, due to battery drain wattage does drop off and continues dropping off. Yes though, mechs do vape at lower watts as a general rule.

I try being cognizant of vapor production in regards of battery drop off to try leaving the suggested 20% for head space on a battery. Sometimes, I don't realize it and end up fully discharging a battery. I'm a human being and aware none of us are perfect, none of us know the future either. We can do our best and hope for the best.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014

Richard Bach writes that if a person argues for their limitations then those limitations will indeed limit that person.

That noted also notice that Richard Bach does not pass any judgment regarding good or bad in having and knowing your limitations. I think you have quite proven your intellect & maturity by openly admitting you might not know what you don't know. To me that is admitting ignorance, that is to say you're saying "hey, I don't know X." That can be managed, or solved by learning & experience. Sometimes the wisest of us have to admit not knowing, and it's alright to do that.

Better that than hurling yourself into the chasm and expecting Providence to gently halt your fall before you hit the bottom terminally. As I tried to convey, I did not want to stifle your ambition or to simply let you go leaping without mentioning some risk. After you had landed at the bottom I'm sure you would have thought I was such an a**hole for letting you jump, I too would have thought likewise of anyone not mentioning risks. *grins*

Don't sell yourself short at the same time use a bit of care. Someone else pointed it out too, mechs don't need to be scary or dangerous but they do need respected. I think you got a pretty square head on your shoulders, even if it is round. :) I'm glad to have helped, even if it was in giving you a little pausing to think. I myself have not built a mod, mech or regulated. I'm a Linux hacker, you think I'm going to do that kind of hard work? *chuckles* Nope, not when Reo Grand clones run only $25 and they function very well as mech mods.

Well, I better rack out. Seems silly me might have talked himself into soon being on 12 hr shifts doing some pack-out for a temp service's client, then on to hopefully full time hire in with the client. *shaking my head* Ah, the promises we make to spouse's grandfather's. Think I'll be, ...

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
The thing with mechanical mods and super sub-ohm coils is you MUST know what you are doing. Most novices aren't aware of what they DON'T KNOW. Coils must be measured with a reliable meter (never assume so many wraps = XX ohms). You have to calculate the "amp draw" of the coil and know the true amp rating of the battery you are using.

The three most important things to know when using sub-ohm coils for an UNREGULATED MECHANICAL mod are:
  1. Know the true amp limit of the battery you have.
  2. Know the amp draw of your coil.
  3. Never exceed the continuous discharge rating (amps limit) of your battery.

Nothing wrong with using a mechanical mod, but always consider safety first when using one. Most mechs have no protection circuitry to help keep you from doing something stupid or help keep you from harm's way. Using a mech, the only protection you have is between your ears. And using a metal tube mech with no ventilation holes (in case a battery vents), means it is literally a potential pipe bomb waiting for you to make a mistake.

upload_2017-12-19_16-22-46-jpeg.706937
upload_2017-12-19_16-22-2-jpeg.706933

Concerning those crazy low coil builds using a single battery mech:
oozm79d.jpg
Haha thanks. The first picture, I know the whole story behind it. That man was using a mech mod with an Aspire sub-ohm tank, that didn't have the extended golden pin, in a result it got a short and just blew up.

Reactions: Baditude

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
Mechs dont have to be scary, they just have to be respected. Personally I fuse every mech or PWM I build. Its cheap insurance. To be honest, for my first mod I would choose something simpler. If you just want to build one yourself there are plenty of good kits out there including DNA. If you want I can help you with a kit or I can put you one together. There are some good videos out there to. I suggest "analog box mods". He has some excellent videos on youtube with everything from mechs to pwm to dna.
I will make sure to get all the information clear, that there are no second doubts about the build and will do a lot of research before buying a mod. Thank you for the help!;)

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
Not fully disagreeing here, merely stating that some mech mods might hit around 50W to start out on a charged battery. After vaping a while then, due to battery drain wattage does drop off and continues dropping off. Yes though, mechs do vape at lower watts as a general rule.

I try being cognizant of vapor production in regards of battery drop off to try leaving the suggested 20% for head space on a battery. Sometimes, I don't realize it and end up fully discharging a battery. I'm a human being and aware none of us are perfect, none of us know the future either. We can do our best and hope for the best.
So I have had this question for quite a while in my head:
What about all the Instagram vapers? They seem to have
A single cell mech mod but they're throwing some massive
Clouds with short hits and even make my 0.16ohm dual claptons
Look like a 10 year old's coughed up juul vapor.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Clouds with short hits...

They are probably abusing/misusing their batteries in disregard to their own and other's safety by using extemely unsafe coil builds. That's why I posted the below meme:

oozm79d.jpg

full

Above is what is left of a mechanical mod when it exploded at a cloud chasing contest a few years ago. The link in the article no longer works.

"August 2014: We have now had the first confirmed mechmod explosion due to sub-ohming, which took place at the recent VapeBlast event. The device exploded, blew a hole in the ceiling 20 feet above, brought down a ceiling tile, and burnt a hole in the floor. As this was witnessed by dozens of people (also, the explosion was heard by a hundred people or so) and the photos are widely available, it is impossible to deny that it occurred.

It seems lucky that no one was hurt; indeed the mech mod owner ran away in order that if any injury occurred he wouldn't be held accountable and to avoid paying for the damage. As the device became hot he threw it down, then it exploded. The incident occurred at a Cloud Contest although it is not known if the vaper who caused the explosion was a bystander or a competitor; since he was clearly stressing-out his rig it seems possible he was about to compete."

Here is another interesting article: First vape related death

What can be learned from this
An incident like this is caused by a chain of design errors, user actions, and possibly a battery fault.

- Sealed metal tubes will probably explode if a battery vents violently
-The battery itself may physically block gas from escaping to the bottom of the mod
- Small vents at the bottom of the tube are useless, only very large gas vents near the top have a good chance of preventing an explosion
- Building coils lower than 0.2 ohm will raise the amp draw exponentially
and this increases risk - the power graph shows a significant change at 0.2 ohms and starts to climb vertically as resistance is reduced further
- Using cheap batteries with ultra low res coils is a certain route to high risk - it needs 30 amp batteries of guaranteed high quality
- Using long draws or machine-gun draws to create monster clouds stresses the battery much more
- Cloud Contests are events where people put ultra high stress on their rig to create monster clouds; if spectating, you could consider standing at the back of the room to stay safe
- If you run a Cloud Contest then you should probably check that your personal and business insurance is really, really good and is appropriate for dangerous sports
- People are now discussing the safety (!) involved with putting 100-amp pulses on their batteries in order to create the biggest clouds with the lowest resistance coils; there is only one way this is going to go and you don't want to be within the explosion radius: someone may have a counterfeit battery, or one that is just too small for this extreme usage mode together with ignoring the device getting warm or even hot.

I don't mean to be fear mongering, but we must respect the destructive power our batteries have if misused/abused. Vape with reasonable coil builds and don't vape over the amp limits of your battery.

Last edited:

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
They are probably abusing/misusing their batteries in disregard to their own and other's safety by using extemely unsafe coil builds. That's why I posted the below meme:

oozm79d.jpg

full

Above is what is left of a mechanical mod when it exploded at a cloud chasing contest a few years ago. The link in the article no longer works.

"August 2014: We have now had the first confirmed mechmod explosion due to sub-ohming, which took place at the recent VapeBlast event. The device exploded, blew a hole in the ceiling 20 feet above, brought down a ceiling tile, and burnt a hole in the floor. As this was witnessed by dozens of people (also, the explosion was heard by a hundred people or so) and the photos are widely available, it is impossible to deny that it occurred.

It seems lucky that no one was hurt; indeed the mechmod owner ran away in order that if any injury occurred he wouldn't be held accountable and to avoid paying for the damage. As the device became hot he threw it down, then it exploded. The incident occurred at a Cloud Contest although it is not known if the vaper who caused the explosion was a bystander or a competitor; since he was clearly stressing-out his rig it seems possible he was about to compete."

What can be learned from this
An incident like this is caused by a chain of design errors, user actions, and possibly a battery fault.

- Sealed metal tubes will probably explode if a battery vents violently
-The battery itself may physically block gas from escaping to the bottom of the mod
- Small vents at the bottom of the tube are useless, only very large gas vents near the top have a good chance of preventing an explosion
- Building coils lower than 0.2 ohm will raise the amp draw exponentially
and this increases risk - the power graph shows a significant change at 0.2 ohms and starts to climb vertically as resistance is reduced further
- Using cheap batteries with ultra low res coils is a certain route to high risk - it needs 30 amp batteries of guaranteed high quality
- Using long draws or machine-gun draws to create monster clouds stresses the battery much more
- Cloud Contests are events where people put ultra high stress on their rig to create monster clouds; if spectating, you could consider standing at the back of the room to stay safe
- If you run a Cloud Contest then you should probably check that your personal and business insurance is really, really good and is appropriate for dangerous sports
- People are now discussing the safety (!) involved with putting 100-amp pulses on their batteries in order to create the biggest clouds with the lowest resistance coils; there is only one way this is going to go and you don't want to be within the explosion radius: someone may have a counterfeit battery, or one that is just too small for this extreme usage mode together with ignoring the device getting warm or even hot.
Ahh, yes. I thought the answer build be more like:
"They are using low resistance coils like 0.4ohms", that would explain the very short warmup times, but since people are so selfish and grind for fame, that wouldn't surprise me if they're taking big risks like let's say, rip trippers. :)
Ahh, and yes, I have seen some pretty stupid battery tests, where they tested the VTC4's drawing 140amps for .5 seconds and 100amps for 5 seconds... This is when I created this thread, where asking if drawing 40amps seemed like a child's play for the battery, but as it turns out, it's not so safe as I thought it would be. When I got the Alien at first, I was so terrified by all the "Vapes exploding" massacre, that I felt like throwing away the mod after pulling 15amps from my 30Q's for 3 seconds.

Mark Spivey

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Knoxville, TN
Clouds with short hits and even make my 0.16ohm dual claptons
Look like a 10 year old's coughed up juul vapor.

I don’t know the exact ones that you are trying to compare but one thing consider the source. If I’m not mistaken, it’s just a photo (which can be edited and layered). Do they show they show the coil(s), the Mod, and the cell being used or are you only getting to see the Atty and a huge cloud? Do they purge until the coil is thoroughly heated up then start the inhale for the plume exhalation? Vapor production has a lot to do with coil surface area in contact with the wick as well as the e-liquid being used. You will get greater cloud production with high to 100% VG. Also, technique in harnessing all the vapor you can and controlling the exhale is involved. Additionally there is optimization of the entire thing. Are you familiar with steam-engine.org? It’s a great resource. Don’t ever be backward about asking questions! It is great that you are and how to gain knowledge.

Mark Spivey

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Knoxville, TN
If you use a regulated device with good batteries (that as good as or better than the Mods recommendation) you don’t have much to be concerned about. When you get into the Mech aspect the only safety measure is the user. I’m a firm believer in having a margin of safety therefore I never exceed the battery constant drain rate (that has been tested and confirmed by Mooch). You can’t exclusively go by what the wraps say because of rewrapping and unknown conditions of how that rating was obtained. Get your cells from a good reliable source. Look up testing information. Monitor your batteries (are they getting warm, the number of charging cycles, the physical age, any discharge differences when you put them in the charger and the amount of difference, etc.).

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

BeginnerOfVaping

May 23, 2018
I don’t know the exact ones that you are trying to compare but one thing consider the source. If I’m not mistaken, it’s just a photo (which can be edited and layered). Do they show they show the coil(s), the Mod, and the cell being used or are you only getting to see the Atty and a huge cloud? Do they purge until the coil is thoroughly heated up then start the inhale for the plume exhalation? Vapor production has a lot to do with coil surface area in contact with the wick as well as the e-liquid being used. You will get greater cloud production with high to 100% VG. Also, technique in harnessing all the vapor you can and controlling the exhale is involved. Additionally there is optimization of the entire thing. Are you familiar with steam-engine.org? It’s a great resource. Don’t ever be backward about asking questions! It is great that you are and how to gain knowledge.
Well this is one of the guys:

Really blows my mind and leaves me a lot of questions.
Any idea?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread