Burning Hot USB Passthroughs - 3 x Fried!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlight

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
UK
I've been using automatic passthroughs for the 901 and 801 since Feb or March. I have (or rather, had!) 4 of them, all connected at the same time to a Belkin USB AC-powered hub (not to the computer). I'd pick one up, use it, put it down, pick another one up a few minutes later. I know it sounds crazy having 4 at once :lol: but it's my way of having different flavours and nic levels at hand without having to keep changing atties or carts all the time.

Several months ago, I reached out to pick one up and jumped sky high as it burnt my fingers, which is when I realised the switch must have got stuck in the "on" position. I couldn't rush fast enough to disconnect it. It had also burnt the cart and melted part of it. I threw out the PT and the atty as it was no doubt fried.

Yesterday afternoon, the exact same thing happened... so in the bin went a 2nd PT, fried atty and melted cart. A few hours later, I'm sitting here and smell a very slight burning smell. I then see the LED of one of the remaining PTs is on, so I realise I have a 2nd one stuck and burning out... That's 2 on the same day! 8-o

Neither of the other 2 had their LEDS on when they were burning hot, so it was only when I picked them up and burnt my fingers that I knew about them as otherwise I'd have been alerted by the LED being on. None of these PTs were old or well used as they'd all been replaced at some point when older ones just died, no doubt from the wire being broken as a result of long-term use even though I was always careful in handling the wire as I know how fragile they can be. If I thought the switch might be stuck or that I'd accidentally flooded one (even though I don't drip), I'd just tap it or shake it out, stand it up atty end down in a warm airing cupboard for a couple of days to drain and dry it out and it would be fine again afterwards.

I know there are warnings to disconnect PTs when not in use, but mine were actively in use! One surely can't expect one to disconnect them every single time in-between uses, as it would be more of a nuisance to have to keep doing so every 5 minutes than it is to charge batteries a few times a day?! So I don't know why it's now happened to me 3 times, let alone twice in one day!

Might it be possible that my USB hub has become faulty after many months' daily use? I also had another thought: I have a brand new manual 510 PT (with battery) and wondered if that might have something to do with it, as it uses a battery which the others don't, not that I can see why it might affect anything unless it's faulty and causing a short or something somewhere? Before you ask, yes, the 10440 battery is in the right polarity :)

I've now disconnected the remaining ones out of fear and it's p***ing me off no end as it's made me highly wary of using PTs again. I'm at my computer for most of the day, so I used PTs at the PC and ordinary batts everywhere else - I have about 10 e-cigs on the go, lying around by my computer and sofa, all at the same time :D. I loved the PTs for their consistency as well as for not having to keep charging batteries all day long.

I'd happily get several big batteries (3.7v as 6+v would be too high for me) to use instead of PTs but I have Multiple Sclerosis which make my small, slim hands weak, so I have difficulty holding and using big batteries unless it's slim and lightweight. It also needs to be with a side button as I can't use an end button - I've tried an SD and my fingers cramp up and get sort of locked in that position (and it was too heavy too), making it difficult if not impossible to use an end button because of the way one has to hold it, however small or short the mod might be. Unfortunately, there are few suitable big battery mods available in the UK (which are often out of stock anyway); and many if not most US suppliers who stock the models we don't have here, like the VP1 or Spade, don't ship to the UK except Dietsmokes but the shipping at $60+ is way too high! So choice is somewhat limited for me, apart from which I'm someone who likes variety so I'd be happy having several different big battery models ;).

I've considered the PureSmoker PT but it's too bulky for me and the wire is too thick as well as too long (I'd keep tripping over it and strangle myself, LOL). The side buttons on EcigCity's PTs are too far down near the end, making it similar in use to an end button and my fingers can't reach that far without shaking because of mild tremor on stretching out fingers. So those PTs are out of the question, sigh.

As I'm now fearful of using PTs after not 1 but 3 of these experiences, I'm at a complete loss as to what to do to replace the PTs with something else that has the power and consistency of a PT and which my hands can handle but which isn't a fire hazard... :(

I'd welcome any suggestions, if at all possible! :)

<whoops, just seen how long this is :oops: Sorry..! >

tolip

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
I doubt the Belkin hub has anything to do with it.
They are nice for multi PT's! :)

It sounds to me like you got liquid in the switch(s).

It has happened to me too.
Mine usually are stuck OFF but I have had them stuck on before also. Luckily the LED went on and I noticed it.
I have heard of them sticking on with no LED warning.

You may be able to salvage the PT's by blowing hard thru the wire/LED end and/or storing it connector down for a day or so.

EDIT: You could try manual PT's for the 801 & 901??

Hope this helps!

YMMV
tolip

Last edited:

emsmom

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2009
Arizona
I have had the exact same problem with passthrus after they have been used for a while. Liquid seems to get in there and make the switches stick. I just had two manual passthrus stick on the on postition with no LED indication! These were the same age and used about the same amount of time, so I believe age has a lot to do with this also. The only thing I have found that will fix this, is to either firmly hit the casing on a table which will sometimes release the sticking switch or soaking the unit in EverClear. I know this seems like it would ruin it, but I have had good luck with this as it dissolves the liquid. Just be sure to let the unit totally dry out before using it. Just as with the standard batteries, the passthrus seem to have a life span that is limited. From what you posted, the time frame of life you got from yours is very good!! Especially for the automatic ones! The auto passthrus are not sealed, so liquid gets inside quite easily. I have had auto passthrus stick after only a couple weeks of use! It appears, from your post, that you have gotten months out of yours which is excellent! Good luck!

Starlight

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
UK
Thanks emsmom :) I hadn't thought about age being a possibility, I guess I should have! Sometimes, it's the simplest thing that one misses and doesn't think of which might be the cause...

Yes, I have had mine for quite a while, and I do try to be very careful with both the delicate wires and with flooding. I've had other batteries get stuck, both PT and ordinary ones, but only these 3 PT ones got burning hot (one of them was even smoking a bit!). The others were always stone cold and either just... gosh, it's so long ago now that I've flooded one or that one's got stuck that I've forgotten what they did, LOL, but as I said above, whenever it happened, I'd always either tap them or blow and dry them out standing on their atty end to drain in a warm airing cupboard for a couple of days - sometimes it helped, sometimes it didn't, in which case I assumed they just died or that the wire broke in the PT ones. We don't have EverClear here in the UK and I don't know what the equal to it might be.

On one occasion I had an ordinary 901 one get stuck in the ON position and no amount of tapping would get the LED to go out. I just had to wait till it completely discharged, which took much longer than I expected, at least 12 hrs!

I know that manual ones are sealed but unfortunately there aren't any 801 or 901 manual PTs in the UK :(. I'd have to get them from China if I wanted one. I'm not sure a manual PT would make any difference if it got stuck due to a sensitive switch rather than to flooding; in which case, it could still cause the atty to burn itself out if it got stuck in the ON position.

It's one thing to disconnect them at night or when one's going out, but there are so many occasions when one leaves the computer for a few minutes for one reason or another but ends up getting tied up for a couple of hours with having to do something else away from the computer. My problem is that I'm now too nervous of using any PT again in case one gets that hot, or hotter still as I'd not be there to notice, and burns my desk when I'm away from my computer for just a few minutes - they all got burning hot in minutes.

Maybe I should just give up on PTs and see if there are any more big battery mods I can get hold of that would be suitable for me and my MS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread