Passthroughs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broseybrose

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I just burnt out my second el-cheapo 5V USB PT. This time it fires at random as opposed to constantly.

Since i vape so much on the PT and its the only access to 5V that i have, im willing to invest (im thinking $50 max) in one of these high quality 5V USB PTs that ive heard mentioned. I just dont know where to go for them.

Would you kindly recommend a value but high quality (510/manual) 5V USB PTs?

Superbals

ECF Veteran
Actually someone recommended to me when mine burned out that when i get my new one cover the cord part in electrical tape until its almost as fat as the part of the battery it comes from then cut a straw and put that over the electrical tape, then wrap it up a few more times since thats the weakest point on the thing

tweazee

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2010
USA, MO
Actually someone recommended to me when mine burned out that when i get my new one cover the cord part in electrical tape until its almost as fat as the part of the battery it comes from then cut a straw and put that over the electrical tape, then wrap it up a few more times since thats the weakest point on the thing

Do you have a picture of yours you could share? Thanks

tweazee

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2010
USA, MO
I just burnt out my second el-cheapo 5V USB PT. This time it fires at random as opposed to constantly.

Since i vape so much on the PT and its the only access to 5V that i have, im willing to invest (im thinking $50 max) in one of these high quality 5V USB PTs that ive heard mentioned. I just dont know where to go for them.

Would you kindly recommend a value but high quality (510/manual) 5V USB PTs?

PM LowThudd -- he is very knowledgable on the 510's -- and might be able to give you a good supplier for 510 PTs.

Superbals

ECF Veteran
Do you have a picture of yours you could share? Thanks

I don't have a new PT to do that to yet but here's exactly the suggestion that was given to me:

I had a PT that did the same thing. The weakest point on most of them is the cord were it attaches to the body. I fixed it with black electrical tape and a peice of a straw. wrap the electrical tape around the cord right next to were it connects to the body. continue this until it is built up to the same level as the body of the PT take about a one inch section of a straw and cut it lengthwise. slip the staw over the tape and the body of the pt make sure that it's making good contact and then tape over the staw and the black tape. Leave a little gap were you can see the LED. Mine has been going good for several months sense I did this. I did buy another as a backup and I actually did this right away so it wouldn't get loose in the first place.

I hope this helps and good luck staying smoke free.​

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Weird. I don't get where all these bad PT's are coming from.

My PT is a regulated 3.7v 510, with an in-line battery and that skinny little cord. To boot, it's also an auto. And I drip with it.

I got it second-hand, after it had been used heavily for 2 or 3 months. I have been using it heavily for a month or two. It's plugged into a USB port that's only a few inches from my desk chair. I've run over the cord several times, and no, I haven't re-enforced the cord in any way.

It still works great. I'm vaping it right now.

It's just bizarre that I keep hearing these things randomly dying. Is mine made of fairy dust or something? It's from CigNot, but I'm sure they all come from the same factory in China.

Most of the super-strong PT's I've heard of are modded ones. I'm unaware of anything better than what you have that comes from a store. I could be wrong. I agree, LowThudd may be your man.

Well... I guess the suggestion I would pose is one of two things.

1. Re-enforce the cord with electrical tape, especially at the USB and battery connectors.

2. Get an eGo PT. That way, at least if the PT dies you still have a functional eGo.

Last edited:

Broseybrose

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Superbals, i read the same post you did, i think. It was about a week ago? Anyway I had been using this 5V PT no problems for about 2 months and figured some preventative maintenance would be good. 1 week after applying the electrical tape the device decides to start firing at random. (AND it happened while experimenting with my first carto in months... grrr... "dont blame cartos, its not the cartos fault").

MisstressNomad, its funny, i have the same 3.7 in-line-batt PT that you have, and im using it right now while my Rivas charge. I guess those models are a little more reliable, but they dont come in a 5V version.

So i placed an order for a replacement $17 5V PT from indyvaporshop.com. Now to take a look at these eGo PTs... going out on a limb to assume these work with Riva batts? Ive no eGo batts.

Last edited:

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Superbals, i read the same post you did, i think. It was about a week ago? Anyway I had been using this 5V PT no problems for about 2 months and figured some preventative maintenance would be good. 1 week after applying the electrical tape the device decides to start firing at random. (AND it happened while experimenting with my first carto in months... grrr... "dont blame cartos, its not the cartos fault").

MisstressNomad, its funny, i have the same 3.7 in-line-batt PT that you have, and im using it right now while my Rivas charge. I guess those models are a little more reliable, but they dont come in a 5V version.

So i placed an order for a replacement $17 5V PT from indyvaporshop.com. Now to take a look at these eGo PTs... going out on a limb to assume these work with Riva batts? Ive no eGo batts.

Hmmm... I don't think so. The eGo that accepts the PT cord appears to have a specially designed endcap that is different from a normal eGo. So I don't think it would work with a Riva.

You could always try an LR atty on the 3.7v PT. That'll get you pretty close to the power of 5v.

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
I had all sorts of problems with PTs until I gave up and built my own. I used a 1xAA battery box, horn switch and 510 connector from madvapes and a USB cable I had lying around. Total cost was under $7 and it hasn't given me a single problem in about 4 months of constant use. You'll also need a good 2A USB power supply, but that's true of any PT.

Superbals

ECF Veteran
Good to know i was planning on doing this wiht my next PT

Broseybrose

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Good to know i was planning on doing this wiht my next PT
Well just cause mine decided to fritz out one week after applying the tape doesnt mean the tape was the cause of the fritz. I honestly doubt that the tape was the cause of the fritz. These PTs just fritz out, there's no telling when its gonna happen.

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
I've had two 5V 510 passthroughs since last Thursday, bought from Madvapes. The quality is pretty good. The manual button could be better, but overall, the quality is better than the Volcano Magma PTs. The higher voltage (more heat) is causing burning-type pain in my mouth (throat, gums, and roof), so I'm gonna have to use them just now and then and not constantly.

I wanted to give you the link, in case you're interested in reading the reviews posted at Madvapes:

MadVapes 5 Volt 510 Manual USB Passthrough

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
I just taped a loop in the wire on my 510 passthru to prevent any sharp bending.

510-pass-thru.jpg

Superbals

ECF Veteran
I've had two 5V 510 passthroughs since last Thursday, bought from Madvapes. The quality is pretty good. The manual button could be better, but overall, the quality is better than the Volcano Magma PTs. The higher voltage (more heat) is causing burning-type pain in my mouth (throat, gums, and roof), so I'm gonna have to use them just now and then and not constantly.

I wanted to give you the link, in case you're interested in reading the reviews posted at Madvapes:

MadVapes 5 Volt 510 Manual USB Passthrough

That looks very similar to the one i had...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread