The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

button cleaning 101 (with magnet)

Discussion in 'The GG' started by SAX, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. SAX

SAX Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Anyone know of a youtube guide to cleaning my GG button?

2. MrKrinkle

MrKrinkle Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    that sounded naughty...

3. CaptSteve

CaptSteve Airborn ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2011
    41,000ft at M 0.85
    Well just as bad as me posting about polishing my tube :D

4. SAX

Sep 11, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Come on now....do I just take it apart and ask for help later :laugh:

5. martinc

martinc Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 12, 2011
    Montreal,Quebec,Canada
    The 3rd magnet when you remove the botton head is reversed compared to the other 2,so that is why you got a return action on it;

It might get ejected when you remove the head,so be carefull.

that is the bulk of it :)

Oh yeah,use contact cleaner,no lube or the top magnet might just stick and your botton wont work.

Perhaps silicone spray,I use DeoxIT gold and it stuck for a lil while but eventually started working.

6. silentt

silentt Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 14, 2011
    Virginia
    Just be careful with magnets as martin said. Take it apart and clean everything good, polish the little parts if you want. You will have fun trying to put the magnets back in :)

7. SAX

Sep 11, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well. I did my first FULL breakdown and clean / lube and put it all back together. Not only did it work:blush: it worked even better. my wife came in with all the parts on the counter my toothbrush and hot soapy water. :evil: She told me that I would never get all back together....hehe...I showed her:toast:

8. Torqueguy

Torqueguy Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline ECF Veteran

May 14, 2011
    Central Virginia
    Be careful, you'll go blind. From the bright shine of course, what were you thinking???

9. Huffelpuff

Huffelpuff Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Any help in taking button off of GG? Thanks for any advice :)

10. buGG

buGG Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 10, 2009
    brush²
  11. Huffelpuff

Aug 27, 2011
    Philadelphia Burbs
    How does the stinking thing come off? Just screws as one piece through the hole in the bottom tube?

12. buGG

buGG Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 10, 2009
    brush²
  13. Huffelpuff

Aug 27, 2011
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Ok. New button will go on new tube coming next week :facepalm:. Have run out of patience today maybe will try again another day.

14. Para

Para Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 15, 2010
    Texas
    The only bad part of the videos is those big ... pliers he uses. DO_NOT_USE_PLIERS

I've got some pics around here somewhere I'll find and upload that will show you how to take a switch apart w/o damaging it.

Later.....

15. martinc

martinc Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 12, 2011
    Montreal,Quebec,Canada
    I do have one of my stainless buttons that tend to stick (locking ring against star washer) and in order to lock the switch I got to try and retry several times or break out the pliers;I might have to file the star washer some

16. Para

Para Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 15, 2010
    Texas
    Yep, unscrew it from the tube. If it's really dirty and stuck, spray with some penetrating oil.....let it set for a while and then unscrew it.

After you get the switch off, clean it really good with denatured alcohol....then:

Use a small amount of JB Quik and attach an old carto or atomizer to the button....let set for about 30 min. Take a flat head screw and do the same for the plunger

[​IMG]

After about an hour it's set enough to hold.....so unscrew the top from the plunger

[​IMG]

Since you don't give the JBQ time enough to fully cure, work back and forth and the two button pieces will detact from the tube and screw head. If the button is hard to remove from the tube, gently squeeze the tube with pliers to deform it and the button will drop off.
    Peel off any JBQ residue with your fingernail or a plastic coffee stir stick

[​IMG]

Once it's clean, reassemble and tighten everything up with your hands. Hand tight is good for GG parts.

17. CaptSteve

CaptSteve Airborn ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2011
    41,000ft at M 0.85
    Ingenious Para, thanks for that

18. wreimer

wreimer Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 11, 2011
    Calgary, Alberta
    I use polident tablets for cleaning. Dissasemble it as far as possible, drop the parts and a tablet in a cup, and water and wait 10 minutes, then polish with a toothbrush

19. Huffelpuff

Aug 27, 2011
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Do you all take the buttons off when you do normal GG cleaning/polish? Excellent demonstration Para, thank you.

20. imeothanasis

imeothanasis Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    how did you thought of that Para :lol: Exellent thought buddy. You know how much I like you do you?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.