buying an e-cig for my mom for Christmas. help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacilunarain

Dec 14, 2009
Florida
My mom has been a smoker for the past 30 years and since I was a kid she's been trying to quit. She's tried the pills, patches, gum, even acupuncture to no avail. So now she's kind of given up on quitting.

For Christmas I'm considering getting her an e-cig so atleast she won't be taking in all the toxic chemicals but she can still have her nicotine.

My only problem is I don't have a clue where to begin on what brand and type and etc.
I'm a college student so I do have a budget of around $100 for the cig itself. I also need something that its relatively easy to get refills and any technical assistance should she need it.

Any suggestions? Where do I begin? What looks, feels, and tastes most like a real cig?

frogbmth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Dorset, UK
www.jantyclub.com
Firstly welcome to ECF.

Secondly I wish I got ecig things as presents, everybody gets me socks :D

Thirdly my opinion. I would say the 510 in white or the KR808D-1 would be good places to start looking. Both are available from multiple vendors and brands. The thing with cartridge based ecigs like the 510 is that almost all of us have to refill our carts, top them up or drip liquid into the atomizer to make it a real alternative to smoking. This means that a supply of liquid is needed as well as the patience and inclination to do it. The KR808D-1 does not have this problem. Refilling is still popular but it is very possible to just dispose of the cartomizers as the makers intend although this does work out more costly. Again you can get them in white.

As for flavour, I am afraid none of them taste of cigarettes. If you can stretch to it, I would recommend a selection of flavours and strengths - don't just look for tobacco flavours. Then your mom can try them out and get an idea of what she might like to keep getting in future.

Whatever you decide on, have a great Christmas

Andy

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
I'd just like to expand on frogbmth's wise answer ... and reiterate his welcome to ECF, tacilunarain! You've placed your first post in the "Ask the Experts" forum, but we here are only a handful of the hundreds of knowledgable, helpful people who hang out on ECF. During the weeks and months to come, I hope you (and your mother) will reach out to all of us by posting your questions and your own observations in many of the forums here.

Now to your question about "What looks, feels, and tastes most like a real cig [and is] relatively easy to get refills." BTW, that $100 budget will be no problem. You should be able to get a starter kit for around $50 and an intitial supply of e-liquid or prefilled cartridges for around $25, leaving $25 to put back in your pocket or for a personal charging case (PCC), if she spends a lot of time outside the house (and away from an electrical outlet or computer USB port).

Personally, I agree that the Joye510 or the KR808D-1 are the way to go. Both are the basic shape of a "real" cigarette (we call it an 'analog') and not that much longer than a 100s cigarette. The Joye510 is the most popular among ECF members (for good reason) and is very likely to deliver a satisfying initial vaping experience. The KR808D-1 is the simplest (and dramatically increasing in popularity). It is very "easy to get refills" for either. Only online, however (for any type of e-cig that anyone here would recommend).

However, I urge you strongly to find out more about those two models - and investigate others - then decide for yourself. The WWV Illustrated Guide referenced in my signature was created for that very purpose. Part 4 may be especially useful, since it points out the pros and cons of each category and model of the smaller electronic cigarettes. [You'll see that the Joye510 is in the "mini" category and the KR808D-1 is a "cartomizer" (at the same size as a mini).]

As for taste, as frogbmth indicated, none of them taste taste exactly like cigarettes. Thank goodness! Most of us find that e-cigs taste much better, although preferences range through the vast spectrum of flavors available. Tastebuds vary from person to person, so she will need to experiment.

Your mother will have to start somewhere, so why not start with the same "brand" she now smokes? For example, Marlboro (however it is deliberately misspelled), Menthol, Winston, Kent, Camel, Parliament, Dunhill, Bensen & Hedges, etc. Or simply go with Marlboro - you'll find it everywhere (it's probably in the carts that come with the starter kit you order). You may want to give Flue Cured a try (don't worry, there's no H1N1 in it;-)). Many people say it tastes most like tobacco. However her taste buds may completely disagree.

And consider some of the flavor enhanced tobacco juices - e.g., RY4, Hilton, 555, TAB (Turkish American Blend, not the predecessor to Diet Coke), etc. - or Cuban Cigar or French Pipe.

And then there are the wonders of all the flavors that don't even pretend to taste like a cigarette: from Chocolate to Kung Pau Chicken. For more on e-liquid (including links to some of the least expensive sources), check out Part 3, the second half of Part 5 (especially for where to get samplers), and the middle of Part 6 of that WWV Illustrated Guide (which also talks about that PCC that I mentioned).

For both the hardware (e-cigarette models) and software (the e-liquid and cartomizers), read/watch reviews in the E-Liquid Reviews, Model Specific Discussion, and Video-Reviews forums. And explore the forums of the wonderful Supporting Suppliersto find out where to get all this stuff.

As you present to her your gift, include a holiday greeting from us and encourage her to spend time with all of us here at ECF!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread