Buying ingredients around town?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
........ Some extracts, like Vanilla, often have PG or VG, Alcohol and pure extract, which is okay, but if there's anything else, I'd skip it and move on to something else. ........

I'll second that, and most of the vanilla extracts have corn syrup. I've just been trying some Rawleigh vanilla and it was a no go. It lists corn syrup as an ingredient but doesn't say how much. I was hoping there wasn't enough to make a difference but it proved to be a coil gunker, big time. It was delicious but I won't be using any more of it.

I may try the Watkins. It lists glucose which is a sugar but it might not be added sugar, just what's from the alcohol and vanilla bean itself (I'm probably just hoping against hope here lol).

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
./.... I found a local pharmacy that sells it in 99.5% purity. I guess the other .5% is contaminants. But would that level of purity be safe?......(online)

I read somewhere that the .5% is water. Personally, I think food grade is good enough for vg, but usp is readily available so why not use it. I usually order a quart at a time from essentials.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
to start DIY, you can get the humco VG at walmart, distilled water, and some food flavorings like watkins in the baking section.

I like those towns where they won't give walmart the necessary building permits, cause it changes the town and kills all the small businesses.

Can go either way. My little town of 5,000 was drying up, until super walmart came, many new smaller businesses grew up "around it" that would not have been there w/out Walmart as the "anchor" store.

Plus there are a lot more jobs than the "1" job our local mom and pop stores were able to supply in each of their stores...

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
I found my VG, now looking to buy PG locally. No luck so far.

Tractor Supply has some and it says USP on it, BUT I haven't used it and can't tell you anything more. All I know it's in the Animal Health section. Hopefully someone can tell you if it's OK to vape.
Sometimes vape shops that sell their own e-liquids will sell plain PG. Couldn't hurt to ask.

Bennylava

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2013
Texas
if you look at the picture, it's 99.9% pure USP.. same stuff everyone else is selling at 50 dollars a gallon..

Thank you sir. But I am looking to do a VG only DIY ejuice. But is that even advisable? Is there any reason I shouldn't? Why do they even bother to mix VG and PG anyway? Why not just go all VG, or all PG?

thatguy2

Moved On
Oct 24, 2013
Thank you sir. But I am looking to do a VG only DIY ejuice. But is that even advisable? Is there any reason I shouldn't? Why do they even bother to mix VG and PG anyway? Why not just go all VG, or all PG?

That takes the conversation in a totally new direction.. if going all VG, you'd need to get VG based flavorings. Otherwise you have a VG/PG mix because most flavorings are PG based..
Then you need to look at your equipment.. a lot of clearomizors / cartomizors won't do well with heavy VG.. it's a wicking issue.. if your dripping, then all VG would be OK.. other option is to thin the VG with distilled water or pure grain alcohol..
All PG liquid is OK also, but does not produce much vapor.. so if your one who needs big clouds, you won't get them with all PG..

MD_Boater

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Maryland Chesapeake Bay
Not according to the link to the sticky, provided by another member in this thread. It says that USP could be food grade, which may or may not be suitable for inhalation. So does anyone know for sure what the percentage is that is safe?

Benny... I have a friend that works for USP. If the label says "USP" on it and the vendor is not flat out lying, it conforms to the USP monograph. I was sitting in a restaurant within view of the USP HQ building in Rockville, MD with a USP employee (that I have known since I was 5) who told me that.

He was even wearing a shirt that said "USP" on it while we were having lunch. :2cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread