Status
Not open for further replies.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Looks like the ANTZ don't care too much for the truths that nicotine in eCigs is only a little more addictive than caffeine. The tax-hoes love the ANTZ, yeh they do. I don't know about you, but I see taxes looming on the horizon.
One speaker explained what addiction means, but of course, that went in one ear and out the other with the journalist's paid perspective.

Caffeine dependence tied to physical, emotional problems - SFGate

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Looks like the ANTZ don't care too much for the truths that nicotine in eCigs is only a little more addictive than caffeine. The tax-hoes love the ANTZ, yeh they do. I don't know about you, but I see taxes looming on the horizon.
One speaker explained what addiction means, but of course, that went in one ear and out the other with the journalist's paid perspective.

Caffeine dependence tied to physical, emotional problems - SFGate

Talk about addictions :facepalm: How about the 'can't have people enjoying themselves' disorder. That looks like it's not only addictive (people spend their whole life on it - not just a coffee break or a cigarette break), but it appears to be contagious! lol. Other losers, who evidently have nothing else to do either, are sticking their noses into other people's business once they see how much attention it can get them - even a TV spot on the local new!! ... or a few lines in somebody's rarely read blogs :facepalm:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
It's more than the regular party p00per brigade. What's really killing the ANTZ now is that us vapers can have our cake and eat it too, as in vice without consequences.

Oh, they're working on "consequences". That's what the ungodly taxes and inclusion of nicotine in insurance rates and employment bans are.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Oh I love the blurb about a woman "ruining" her husband's tropical vacation by spending half a day searching for a cup of coffee. So was she just there to make sure "his" vacation ran smoothly?

It didn't say half "a" day. It said half "the" day. I've watched coffee addicts that nearly went crazy when they couldn't get their fix.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Oh I love the blurb about a woman "ruining" her husband's tropical vacation by spending half a day searching for a cup of coffee. So was she just there to make sure "his" vacation ran smoothly?

The researchers failed to point out that the couple's vacation took place on a deserted island. Typical ANTZ "science." :laugh:

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Caffeine, bah, that is for losers! :D
If you really really want to get addicted, to a substance that is as bad as (an illegal drug) you gotta eat

OREOS!!!

Hm.... or maybe not :lol:

All I can say to those silly fearmongers and sensationalists is

Oh, just go away, you stupid, stupid people.
:p

By the way, this comment says it best:

nickinva
So they are going after caffeine now? I'm sure big pharma would love to steal Starbuck's and Coca Cola's business by convincing millions that they are "addicts" who need to be cured by popping their pills. And lets not forget the billions in taxpayer dollars being doled out as grants for caffeine disorder research.

Last edited:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Do you think universities and colleges exist solely on revenue from tuition? Hell no! Ever since I can remember (I'll admit to going back to the 1950s) they've been competing for government research grants to bolster their science departments (and probably their overall incomes). So the researchers, and professors who research, are scrambling in this competitive market to come up with new and different subjects to research, hoping they'll be alluring to the Establishment that doles out the grant money.

And of course the sexier they can make the study results sound, the more media attention they'll attract --> the more the Establishment will pay attention --> the more grant money they'll attract.

What's sad is that so many people actually listen to studies like this. And believe. And act on them.

I despair...

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Do you think universities and colleges exist solely on revenue from tuition? Hell no! Ever since I can remember (I'll admit to going back to the 1950s) they've been competing for government research grants to bolster their science departments (and probably their overall incomes). So the researchers, and professors who research, are scrambling in this competitive market to come up with new and different subjects to research, hoping they'll be alluring to the Establishment that doles out the grant money.

And of course the sexier they can make the study results sound, the more media attention they'll attract --> the more the Establishment will pay attention --> the more grant money they'll attract.

What's sad is that so many people actually listen to studies like this. And believe. And act on them.

I despair...

Many times it's just fear that sells. Standard selling points - cancer, brain cancer, impotence, baldness, weight gain, steatopygia, dementia, death, etc. - iow, pick the absolute "worst" (in most people's mind) result and then find evidence of it.

And even though they'll use those in order to pass laws against the substance in question, some or all of them are seen as 'side effects' of many drugs approved by them - like Chantix :facepalm:

They justify the 'side effects' by the "good" that the drug can so, but not many drugs could stop the deaths and illnesses they've connected with smoking - exactly what ecigarettes do.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Caffeine, bah, that is for losers! :D
If you really really want to get addicted, to a substance that is as bad as (an illegal drug) you gotta eat

OREOS!!!

Hm.... or maybe not :lol:

All I can say to those silly fearmongers and sensationalists is

:p

By the way, this comment says it best:

Memories. Cracking them open to get the icing, followed by a chocolate chaser.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Fascinating! (and just a bit ominous...)

....nicotine were present in every chocolate tested. This was particularly surprising for nicotine given the doubts about its presence at all. Its concentration ranged from 0.00023-0.00159 mg/kg with a mean value of 0.000645 mg/kg. There was a weak correlation between the amount of cocoa in the chocolate and the level of nicotine.

In contrast, the levels of caffeine were far higher at 420-2780 mg//kg with a mean of 1640 mg/kg. They correlated strongly with increasing levels of cocoa and were in broad agreement with reported concentrations from other studies.

Now, I'm no scientist (tho I did once play a dancing lab technician in a comic opera), but given that my e-liquid contains up to 24mg/ml of nicotine, the amount of nicotine found in chocolate (mean of 0.000645 mg/kg, note all those zeros and that's per kilogram) I fail to see anyone but an ANTZ really caring about this. Won't be at all surprised, however, to see some ANTZ issuing cautions about allowing chiiiiiildren to consume chocolate and damaging their developing brains w/ all that nicotine... :facepalm:

erazzz

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
New Mexico
In my case, caffeine is so much harder to quit than nicotine.

I was diagnosed with a heart problem about 4 years ago. I was directed by my doc to quit all stimulants (no nicotine, no caffeine).

About 6 months prior to this diagnosis, I had quit smoking, so nicotine wasn't a problem. Quitting smoking cold turkey was hard (e cigs had just come out about that time and were $200 to start, not an option) but after 3 days of no cigs I was okay. Caffeine on the other hand is extremely hard. To this day I'm STILL trying to quit caffeine. I've been making some progress, but it is hard. Your selection of caffeine free cokes is limited. When I go to get a fountain drink at a restaurant, I have maybe 3 choices to choose from. No coffee in the mornings (very hard). Most of my favorite soft drinks don't have caffeine free versions.

Started ecigs because I was going through some major life changes two years ago and the stress caused me to smoke again. Quit smoking, went to ecigs. A year later, I'm on 4mg nicotine, next step is 0! Unlike caffeine, all my favorite juices have the option on 0 nicotine. But even then, that "quick fix" of having a coffee when you are tired is immensely hard to give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread