Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Maybe depends on what you mean by work. It's not like the time they spend in session is a major part of their workload. Most of their time in any State is spent meeting with important (rich) people collecting money and discussing ideas on appropriate legislative action. Then they get together with other legislators and negotiate what gets to the top of the agenda. The last step is going to their House of business and voting stuff in. That part doesn't take much time at all. Pass the bills that matter to their donors, and fill in with a bit of political grandstanding to make it look real for the masses.

Well here our legislators make $41,000 TOTAL for a two year term. So when not in session most of them return to normal jobs so they don't starve.

• Informative
Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Well here our legislators make $41,000 TOTAL for a two year term. So when not in session most of them return to normal jobs so they don't starve.

Same in NY. The leader of the state assembly would leave to do things like spend twenty years soliciting clients for his class action suits and malpractice cases. And people wondered why tort reform could just never get passed in this state.

Oh and that no show job he had at Jacoby & Meyers for steering business their way. But hey, he couldn't get by without a second income source.

This is why it should be illegal to hold a position in government while still working in the private sector. It would be far cheaper for the citizens than scrimping on the salaries.

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
I don't really view the Cali government as communistic. I see it more like a Democratic Tyranny that wants nothing less than total control over it's citizens subjects.
True, but they are not alone. My state has over 300 legislators with 2300 staffers. There are over 30,000 staffers nationwide, not counting the 13,000 federal congressional staffers. They are all looking for something to do to appear relevant. Which is primarily reacting to the news cycle, which is where we are these days.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It looks like the vote is today. I guess I can kiss flavored vape juice goodbye, or jump back into DIY again.
I'm hating my state more and more.

That's the type of thing you won't know the outcome of until the court challenges finish. I can't imagine there won't be several filed immediately if it passes and gets signed by the governor.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That's the type of thing you won't know the outcome of until the court challenges finish. I can't imagine there won't be several filed immediately if it passes and gets signed by the governor.

JMO... But I would be Very Surprised if SB-38 became Law that a 9th District Court would throw it out.

And would be even More Surprised if the 9th CCOA didn't Overruled the lower court if the Did.

basilia

Moved On
May 24, 2019
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Spam

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
Looks like Sen. Hill has moved SB-38 to the Inactive File.

Bill History

From the California State Legislature Glossary of Legislative Terms:

INACTIVE FILE
The portion of the Daily File containing legislation that is ready for floor consideration, but, for a variety of reasons, is dormant. An author may move a bill to the inactive file if he or she wishes to take it up at a later date. Once a bill is on the inactive file, one day’s public notice is needed to place it back on the agenda.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Is there any concern over nicotine pouches? Those come in various flavors too and are great for rainy days at work when I don’t want to go outside for a nic fix

I know of No Exemption that would save Flavored Nicotine Pouches from the Kibosh under SB-38.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
  • Useful
Reactions: ChelsB

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Any idea why it's been paused?

It's Hard to say.

Sometimes it is done to give an Author/Party more or a better time to Pick-Up yea votes.
Sometimes it is a PR/Timing thing.
Sometimes there might be a Competing Bill that might be gaining more traction. Such as AB-739.
Sometimes there might be a Legal or a Possible Duality issue with a Federal Regulation.

Just Really Hard to say in this case.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Link posted in kristen's most recent update:

"PULLED BY THE AUTHOR after hookah advocates and cigar lobby gained exclusions in an amendment by Senate panel. Stay on alert for this to resurface!"

Proposed California ban on flavored tobacco products shelved by lawmakers

Good Eye Rossum. I missed that Yesterday.

Kristin is Also right. Watch for it to Resurface. Because the Inactive File is meant for a Pause. Not for a Stop.

BTW - I wonder How Much Money it took to get a Hooka Exclusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread