Calling all IGO-L users. LR Coil build for clouds

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadiwhat

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2012
California
I need some input on different setups for a rda. Specifically the igo-l. I finally bit the bullet and bought a mechanical mod as to be able to build low resistance coils using either 30g or 28g.

For those of you who have an igo-l or any dripping atomizer, please give me some input on your different setups.

From my understanding, 28-30g kanthal wire doesn't hit like a 32g wire @1.0 -1.3 ohms. Is this correct?

so what are the advantages disadvantages of using thicker wire besides resistance?

Thanks in advance...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Covert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
Long Beach, California
The main difference is that the thicker the wire the more real estate on the wick you take up which is what you want because it is very efficent . I just picked up some 30awg which I could only wrap 3/4 times to get a 1.3 ohm coil ,but am going to be picking up some 28awg because I can get about 5/6 wraps and maintain a 1.0-1.1 ohm coil which is right where I want to be. It's all about personal preference though some people like sub ohm wraps with 28awg at 3 wraps. I can't handle the heat so I stay out of that kitchen lol.

gadiwhat

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2012
California
The main difference is that the thicker the wire the more real estate on the wick you take up which is what you want because it is very efficent . I just picked up some 30awg which I could only wrap 3/4 times to get a 1.3 ohm coil ,but am going to be picking up some 28awg because I can get about 5/6 wraps and maintain a 1.0-1.1 ohm coil which is right where I want to be. It's all about personal preference though some people like sub ohm wraps with 28awg at 3 wraps. I can't handle the heat so I stay out of that kitchen lol.

Thanks for the reply. I think in going to try out some 28g kanthal. I just ordered the kamry k-100 because id like a mechanical mod as well. I just had to do some more tinkering. I couldn't get a dual coil setup to work properly on my LT 2.0 because of amp limits..

gadiwhat

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2012
California
I'm waiting on my Kamry KTS from a co-op right now can't wait to get it. I love my igo-l on my Roller. The ease of wrapping this thing is crazy easy compaired to my other RDA's well except my puff daddy, but that's a high end drip atty so you can't really compare lol

Nice. I was thinking of slapping another agat2 on the rscope but realized what fun would it be to have two of the same atomizers on different mods. So my new setup is going to be an igo l on the rscope. Any idea of when your rscope is coming in?

beanpusher

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
South San Diego, CA United States
I need some input on different setups for a RDA. Specifically the igo-l. I finally bit the bullet and bought a mechanical mod as to be able to build low resistance coils using either 30g or 28g.

For those of you who have an igo-l or any dripping atomizer, please give me some input on your different setups.

From my understanding, 28-30g kanthal wire doesn't hit like a 32g wire @1.0 -1.3 ohms. Is this correct?

so what are the advantages disadvantages of using thicker wire besides resistance?

Thanks in advance...

i like using the 30awg with a 3/4 wrap, it gives me about .9 to 1 ohms on 4 loops of 2.5mm silica i like the wicks fat enough to make a nice sponge for the juice. a mechanical is the way to go. say good bye to amp limitations. i don't like to go below .9 because of how fast you will go thru juice. at .9 to 1 ohm i drip about 12-15 drops and feel like im vaping out of a tank but with dripper vapor and flavor.

jharres

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2010
Palmer Lake
For what it's worth... I'm fairly new to building attys. I've now built 4 in total on my igo-s dripper. The first was a total loss. The 2nd was 28awg Kanthal, 3rd was a 30awg Kanthal and the 4th is 32awg Kanthal, all on 3mm silica. So far, my absolute favorite has been the 32awg Kanthal on 3mm silica (I haven't tried the SS mesh yet). The 3 working coils have been 1.2, 1.6 and 2.1 ohms of resistance with 7 wraps of the 28 and 6 wraps on each of the 30 and 32. I've tested each setup at an output of 10 watts (3.5v, 4.0v and 4.6v). My overall impression is that I really like the 32awg coils because they heat up much faster and the vapor production/flavor has been incredible. My next experiment will be with 4 wraps of 32awg on a 3.7 mech device.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
... a mechanical is the way to go. say good bye to amp limitations.
And say good bye to regulated vaping. Nothing like having the voltage drop with every drag.

And of course the pre-vape check.

JCW_ear__-_1.png

Can ya hear me now? :)

OKR-T%5E10-W12-C_sml.jpg

$10, 10A/50W rating.

 Programmable output voltage from 0.591-6.0 VDC

 High power conversion efficiency at 92%

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I just got my first successful wick and coil running on an RBA (my IGO-L), so please take my experience for what it's worth.

I made a hybrid wick using a small strip (9 mm X 32 mm) of #500 SS mesh and maybe 3.75 in of 1 mm silica wick. I'm using 32awg Kanthal with a 5/6 wrap (wrapped on a 3/32 in drill bit) measuring 2.7ohm on my Provari. It's by far the best vape that I've ever had. I bored out the air hole a bit with a corkscrew and my drip tip has a wide hole.

I think my next wick and coil will be thicker with thicker Kanthal and less wraps. I'll need to buy thicker Kanthal and silica wick and I'd like to find more IGO-Ls in stock somewhere close to what I paid in January ($14).

I'll proudly take and post a picture if anyone cares - I'm quite happy after weeks of on and off failures trying to get my AGA-T working. I think that the IGO-L is a bit easier than the AGA-T and that I'm getting better at RBAs.

gadiwhat

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2012
California
When building your aga-t u can use a hybrid wick as well with SS mesh. You can completely stop those hotspots by rolling cotton onto your SS mesh. Works like a dream. But now i have some ceramic wicks that work great.

If you have a lot of 32g kanthal just do what i did and twist two wires together. I think it will equal out to be the same as 28g wire. Someone correct me if im wrong. Search "twiested kanthal" on YouTube. So now while im waiting for my igo-l to come in i have a 1.0ohm coil on my agat-2 using the kamry. That's 3/4 wraps of 32g twisted kanthal.

beanpusher

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Do you fold your silica ? like make a bow or something. I have some 3mm silica laying around inside my vapebox...

rebuilt the igo-l with single wire of 26awg dual coil with dbl'd over cotton wicks came out to .3 ohms less than i expected but i was just experimenting, i should've done it with the 28 instead. but with the igo-l head room in there the vape wasn't too hot. here's some photos step by step, and a video of the vapor production.

sorry photos not in order

20130328_113856.jpg 20130328_111953.jpg 20130328_112456.jpg 20130328_113638.jpg

beanpusher

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
When building your aga-t u can use a hybrid wick as well with SS mesh. You can completely stop those hotspots by rolling cotton onto your SS mesh. Works like a dream. But now i have some ceramic wicks that work great.

If you have a lot of 32g kanthal just do what i did and twist two wires together. I think it will equal out to be the same as 28g wire. Someone correct me if im wrong. Search "twiested kanthal" on YouTube. So now while im waiting for my igo-l to come in i have a 1.0ohm coil on my agat-2 using the kamry. That's 3/4 wraps of 32g twisted kanthal.

i get .8 ohms with 28awg kanthal on my aga 3/4 wrapped

jharres

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2010
Palmer Lake
rebuilt the igo-l with single wire of 26awg dual coil with dbl'd over cotton wicks came out to .3 ohms less than i expected but i was just experimenting, i should've done it with the 28 instead. but with the igo-l head room in there the vape wasn't too hot. here's some photos step by step, and a video of the vapor production.

sorry photos not in order

View attachment 193425 View attachment 193426 View attachment 193427 View attachment 193428

That is an awesome idea. I just got my igo-l. I'm going to have to try this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread