Check out my Nano "dragon" Coil build

Status
Not open for further replies.

aguy

Oct 10, 2013
the cuse
can i get some help please, i have a 1.3 nano on an igo-l on a vamo v2. i angle the coil and wick it like im supposed to for the dragon and my vapor comes off the lower end of the coil thats covered or off the lower positive post, kinda looks like off the deck. wth??? ive done this on 5 coils and wicked it i dont even know how many times, im seriously lost here, and end up wicking normal through the coil and get a ton of vapor.. why wont this work??? please help. thanks all.

durianeliquidflavorplease

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2013
Quezon City Philippines
I just feel like at lower ohms you're probably just torching the juice & with higher VG juices you're building up a toxic layer of funk quickly. I get ridiculous flavor from a dragon nano between 0.8 -1.2ohms. Just my take on it.

I concur. Though the main reason I stay in the same range as yours is the amp limit of my batts. And I'm satisfied and happy with the blueberry clouds that cover my room, LOL.

Cr0tchF4i

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
San Diego, CA
can i get some help please, i have a 1.3 nano on an igo-l on a vamo v2. i angle the coil and wick it like im supposed to for the dragon and my vapor comes off the lower end of the coil thats covered or off the lower positive post, kinda looks like off the deck. wth??? ive done this on 5 coils and wicked it i dont even know how many times, im seriously lost here, and end up wicking normal through the coil and get a ton of vapor.. why wont this work??? please help. thanks all.

Has to be a hot leg- When you dry fire it is it lighting up from the inside out?

nj1001

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2009
Boston-ish

When I do the nano and have it kick hard I keep both ends of the coil open and I even take it a step further and aim one side of the open coil directly lined up with the air intake. Some have said the pressure inside the chamber will cause air to flow through it but either way, with my set up, I am positive all air intake is rushing directly through the coil.

Originally, my take anyway, was that the dragon coil was named after having an open nano so vapor streamed out of both (2) open ends of a coil like smoke out of a dragon's nostrils. More recently, some swear by occluding one end which produces only one stream of vapor so doing this with dual coils (each with one end closed) produces the 2 streams of vapor which one open would.
Angling the coil is done to keep the open end up while blocking off the other side with wick, but if both ends are kept open it doesn't really matter whether the coil is perfectly hrozontal or angled.

Sounds like you got the coil made correctly but the issue was more of wicking it. I suggest, if you feel like it, re-twist up a nano, make sure its not touching the deck & the whole angled thing doesn't matter if you keep both ends open so keep it horizontal with the deck and make sure the coil is no lower than the air hole. Apparently whether an open end is aimed at the hole doesn't matter but try not to have the coil rest below the level of the air intake and cover all but the open ends with cotton. You'll find that you will need a bigger air hole for the incoming air to meet the high level of vapor coming off of it.
This is just my 2¢, I could be completely wrong based on wherever the newest evolution of it has gone but based on the original concept towards the beginning of this thread that's what I got from it and it works like a charm for me. ;)

Last edited:

KTran1039

Nov 8, 2013
CA
30G
14 wraps
Dual coil
1.0 ohm
Trident clone
photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg

Last edited:

realbriguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Here's my contribution.

Been messing around with vertical nano dragon/volcano coil builds on my Kayfun 3.1 clone the past few days. I think I've got it figured out pretty well.

Using 28 ga Kanthal A-1, I did a 10 wrap coil around an 18 ga blunt tip syringe needle, and installed it vertically in the Kayfun:

large.jpg

Test firing, she glows really nice and even from the middle outward and quite quickly:

large.jpg

large.jpg

Video of it glowing up:
YouTube

CVS Sterile Rolled Cotton, strung through the positive (top) leg:

large.jpg

Movember, anyone? It looks like a handlebar mustache. LOL.

large.jpg

I wrapped the cotton around the coil to ensure it stays moist during firing:

large.jpg

After playing around with it for a few days, I figured out the cotton can't be packed too tight or too loose here. I can't describe it exactly, all I can say is that the density is "middle". Too tight, and it can't pass juice to the coil quick enough (which results in burning), too loose and it'll end up flooding the coil which results in hot spitting juice up the chimney and into your mouth.

Next, the evaporation chamber goes on, and I pack some cotton wick down the sides to reach down to the juice channels. Again, similar density to how I've wrapped the cotton around the coil. "Medium" density. You want it loose enough to quickly draw juice upwards, and not so tight that it chokes wicking ability. If it's too loose, it'll wick too much juice upwards and the excess juice will get dumped on to the deck which ends up running down the air hole, leading to gurgling.

large.jpg

Finally, some very lightly placed cotton on top, covering the coil posts and the cotton at the bottom of the chamber. Pressed down enough to make contact with the cotton at the bottom of the deck/evaporation chamber, but kept loose enough to draw juice upwards quickly and feeding the cotton that's wrapped around the coil. Keep it light and fluffy as much as possible! The tighter cotton that's wrapped around the coil will prevent juice from over-saturating the coil, which would lead to flooding and sputtering.

large.jpg

Juiced up:

large.jpg

Now let's test it:
YouTube

Look at that... lots of vapor just firing out, with zero sputtering.

Fully assembled, let's see how she performs!

WOW! I absolute LOVE the flavor and vapor production of this setup!

Those few hauls for that video left me dizzy and nic-sweating on 6mg HHV Cinful Pear 100% VG.

(Don't mind my little Schnauzer chattering away in the background. He's quite the vocal little boy.)

Last edited:

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
realbriguy, nicely done on the vertical. I do a dual series vertical on the Russian and simply love it. One suggestion though, you might want to consider using the other post for the bottom coil lead on your next build, as is, you are in risk of shorting out your build if the bottom of the coil should touch.

realbriguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
realbriguy, nicely done on the vertical. I do a dual series vertical on the Russian and simply love it. One suggestion though, you might want to consider using the other post for the bottom coil lead on your next build, as is, you are in risk of shorting out your build if the bottom of the coil should touch.

Wouldn't it short out regardless? Or is it just a longer path of resistance to the short?

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought of considering this.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
The way yours is mounted, you'd be connecting the positive post to the negative post if it touched down, by switching the bottom lead to the other post, if it touched it would just be reinforcing the connection to the same post.

I'll go a step farther and suggest mounting the coil touching the top of the air hole. Yes it'll short out, but as dice57 points it's to the same post so the only effect is you'll loose a fraction of your total ohms. What you gain is better protection from juice down the air hole and all the air funneled up through the coil. If it changes the draw too much to suit you, you can always go back and lift the coil up a tad, or coil a different id coil to change the draw.

Made a 1.6ohm dragon coil for my 18350 pipe mod.

On a Phoenix atty. Works amazing. When I rebuild it I will try to take it to .9
.8 is as low as I can go safely with this battery so I figure .9 would be a bit safer.
I doubled the vape I was getting from my vivid nova. And this dragon is a higher ohm. Curious to what the .9 will do

weezymagic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
STL
So I have a problem. I've been playing with this the past few days. Can't seem to get it right. I'm using 28g kanthal, 21g needle to wrap and organic cotton balls to wick. I'm building on an igo-w4 with both holes drilled to 2mm and a k101 mod with Sony vtc4 batteries. I always get tight and uniform coils. I've gone everywhere from .38 ohm to .97 ohm. I get the clouds of vapor but not much flavor. I'm getting more flavor out of my pt3 on my mech. The juice is a 50/50 blend. Any help? And depending on the build, I can sometimes get a bit of flavor but nothing like "oh, there's the strawberry banana milkshake I bought"

Any help to get more flavor? I always heard dripping was the best for flavor but have yet to be impressed.

P.s. I have also tried micro and regular coils with same results.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread