Not open for further replies.

jharres

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2010
Palmer Lake
Might have to try this hybrid SS mesh/silica wick on my IGO-L. seems cool

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

I love that setup on my igo-l, the only problem I've had is that it seems to get gunked up quickly. I might try varying the amount of SS used to see if that makes a difference.

Sent using a sophisticated pattern of 1s and 0s.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Better. Much better.

IMAG1362-1.jpg

I used to do mesh hybrids and loved them. Definitely do that. But now I'm loving the ceramic rope. Dry burn it, torch it, clean as a whistle.

jharres

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2010
Palmer Lake
Better. Much better.

View attachment 201783

I used to do mesh hybrids and loved them. Definitely do that. But now I'm loving the ceramic rope. Dry burn it, torch it, clean as a whistle.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to get my hands on some and give it a try.

jharres

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2010
Palmer Lake
On the topic of drilling out the air hole on your igo-l.. If I'm not mistaken, the air hole diameter is 1mm from the factory. If you drill it out with a 1/16 bit, you are drilling it out to approx 1.6mm, which is a significant increase in airflow. Find a place that sells precision drill bits and pick up a 1.2 mm bit and a 1.4mm bit. Increase the size to 1.2mm and try it out. If that doesn't work for ya, step up to 1.4mm, etc. Also, play with the positioning of the air hole as well. I've found that even a 1mm rotation of the cap can make a big difference. Once you find your sweet spot, simply score the cap and the base so you can align it properly each time.

Just fyi - I found a place on eBay selling the bits for around $2/bit. With shipping, I was out somewhere around $8.

graffinfected

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
ORLANDO, FL.
On the topic of drilling out the air hole on your igo-l.. If I'm not mistaken, the air hole diameter is 1mm from the factory. If you drill it out with a 1/16 bit, you are drilling it out to approx 1.6mm, which is a significant increase in airflow. Find a place that sells precision drill bits and pick up a 1.2 mm bit and a 1.4mm bit. Increase the size to 1.2mm and try it out. If that doesn't work for ya, step up to 1.4mm, etc. Also, play with the positioning of the air hole as well. I've found that even a 1mm rotation of the cap can make a big difference. Once you find your sweet spot, simply score the cap and the base so you can align it properly each time.

Just fyi - I found a place on eBay selling the bits for around $2/bit. With shipping, I was out somewhere around $8.

this might be the answer for me.. im going to have to buy another igo-l and give it a shot.. the 1/16 bit makes the airhole too much for me.. even with a dual coil. i think that you nailed it right on the money for what i need.. thank you very much jharres.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
Better. Much better.

View attachment 201783

Where you getting the ceramic rope from? How is it to work with?

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

jharres

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2010
Palmer Lake
this might be the answer for me.. im going to have to buy another igo-l and give it a shot.. the 1/16 bit makes the airhole too much for me.. even with a dual coil. i think that you nailed it right on the money for what i need.. thank you very much jharres.

I drilled out my igo-l to 1.2 last night. It was a very small increase, but it was noticed. The draw isn't quite as tight, but isn't airy either. Vapor production increased slightly and it took the edge off the throat hit. I'm running mine on a legacy with a 3/4 28 awg kanthal coil over a hybrid SS/silica wick.

The flavor seems slightly better after drilling, but I'm running a fairly new wick, so that could be just my wick breaking in as well. I think I'm going to pick up a couple more igo-l attys and do some comparisons of stock vs 1.2 vs 1.4 mm holes.

Calicam

Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
Los Angeles
I've been playing with my IGO-L for around a month and here are some observations:

Using a Provari...

Best vape was with two twisted 32awg kanthal wires wrapped 4/5 around two 3.5mm silica wicks (7mm total diameter).

0.9ohms
3.1V
3.44amps
10.67watts

Using a GUS Telescopic without spring...

Best vape is with 32awg kanthal, single 3.5mm silica wick, 3/4 wrap. This setup gives me great flavor and slightly better vapor production.

1.2ohm
3.7V with voltage drop factored in
3.08amps
11.4watts

I opened up the airhole with a steel pick. 1.8mm.

I find the positioning of the airhole to be extremely critical to vapor production. Rotating it even 5 degrees from the sweet spot can have a very noticeable negative effect.

I have tried using 28awg kanthal in a 5/6 wrap and while it worked pretty good, I did not like having to wait a couple seconds for the wire to reach operating temperature.

My tests show that if you're going for low resistance, it's better to use two 32awg coils in parallel.

I'll add more when I get home.

jeesushchrist

Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Socal
just found this thread. just thought I'd post my pic up of my IGO-L

8755131907_676d251676_z.jpg

1.0ohm on an SB. I think I will get another IGO-L and try a dual wire setup to get lower on the resistance. good thinking, Calicam

edit:
Silver Bullet
0.8 - 0.9 ohms
21.56 amps
3.4V(after a day of vaping)
73.73 watts

hmm, doesn't seem right. I'm using a fluke 23 DMM to do my measurements :glare:

in any case, I shouldn't be in any inherent danger with those numbers, should I?

Last edited:

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
just found this thread. just thought I'd post my pic up of my IGO-L

8755131907_676d251676_z.jpg

1.0ohm on an SB. I think I will get another IGO-L and try a dual wire setup to get lower on the resistance. good thinking, Calicam

edit:
Silver Bullet
0.8 - 0.9 ohms
21.56 amps
3.4V(after a day of vaping)
73.73 watts

hmm, doesn't seem right. I'm using a fluke 23 DMM to do my measurements :glare:

in any case, I shouldn't be in any inherent danger with those numbers, should I?

0.8 ohms at 4.2 volts equals 22.1 watts and 5.3 amps. At 3.4 volts it's 14.4 watts and 4.3 amps.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
what is the formula for this?

I used this to calculate the numbers.

to get amps, I used the leads on the posts and set my DMM to dc amps and it registered 21.56 when I hit the button on the SB. I'm confused

I'm not doubting you, I just want to know how to check my numbers correctly.

Power (Watts) equals volts squared divided by resistance (Ohms) or P = (V x V) / R

Watts also equals amps times volts or P = A x V; so also A = P / V

No idea why you're registering so many amps, but based on your volts and resistance is how I got those numbers.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

goomok

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Costa Mesa
Hi bro, if ur going for clouds u need 3 factors, Airhole,wick and wire, of cos lastly the VG/PG content. Dang, that looks like 4.lol. As I was saying, thicker wire get the job done, but a wider wire does it better in terms of heating the wick at a larger area. Secondly if u going for lung inhale, minimum airhole is 1.5mm. Lastly of cos more VG=denser clouds. From my opinion building atty is a learning process and more to try an error. Just be careful though. Vape on brah.

Chris6204

Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
USA
During my experimenting with single coil setups I found my sweet spot to be a 1/16" air hole. While experimenting I have caps with holes larger then 1/16". Instead of discarding the top cap I used a tiny piece of clear packing tape to cover up part of the hole until I got the vape I wanted. This way the cap is still usaeble and not a throw away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread