Calling all modders

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo_tdo

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
Missouri
I've found some very good components and had some very knowledgeable people help me out. I love being able to take parts designed for something else and making them bend to my needs. For example - Nicowolfs modding of a standard aa box for which i have a few sitting here at my desk as I type. My next mod will require something bigger in size to accomondate the charging board it will be incorporating. I know I can get away with using a 3 aa box or maybe even a 3 aaa box. Even with those there would still be some wasted space here and there. I know most modders in here deal with adapting parts but not fabricating. I need to know if anyone knows or has dealt with making plastic parts (i need to make a custom case). We spend all this time designing and building but under most circumstances we are limited by the size and shape of the containers we choose to put those parts in. If no one knows or can't say I will have to figure it out from trial and error. I just think being able to make our own custom cases would be a big step. I do mean very little expense. I'm not talking about full scale production here.

Anyways thanks to all again.
Steve

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Just remembered one time I needed some displays for postcards - like letter racks. I was in China at the time and found a place that sold the perspex who offered to do all the cutting and joining. They used what looked like a thin liquid as the glue. Worked fast and made strong joints. Perhaps acetone or something like that. The edges and corners can the be filed to a rounded finish.

The interesting thing about perspec is being able to do either a transparent case or a translucent one which could be lit by LEDs internally. Either would be interesting. It's nice stuff to work with.

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
Tinear could probably help here, he's a master a fabricating.

I deal in polyurethane and resin casting/sculpting with clay and polymer clay. If your looking to make your own case from 100% scratch. Let me know, but honestly..it's a bit costly if your going to do just 1,2,3, or 4 with no intent to sell and requires patience like no other, since you'll need to hand sculpt your case, notches, latch locks, and lip seals. Fabricating would probabley be your best bet.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran

I too was thinking of tinnear; i imagine he knows of this already, but perhaps not. Could be handy for some of thoe parts he needs to create.

Apparently large plastic (polythene) milk bottles are good to use, perhaps because not only the right material but also because the top is about right for the vacuum cleaner hose ;)

PVC is also often used; as in making vinyl records (big black discs with music on them). The industrial machines are fed with little pellets of the plastic.

some perspex boxes

perspex.png

Actually, Papper-mache could work...really. Coat it with epoxy resin, and you have a case that is durable like hardened plastic. But, it would probably need 2-3 coats so that it won't shatter if dropped or bent.

Yes, when one considers laminates, in a wide sense, the possibilities are many ...

Another idea: fibreglass

Had an idea to render a NicoBox in concrete once, so it resembles a rock ;)

Last edited:

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
One could combine epoxy putty as well with fabrication. Most epoxy is heat and shatter resistant, although toxic in it's separate compounds, once combined and cured...your good to go.

Magic sculp (not sculpt) is one that I use in combo with polymer clay. Magic sculp takes about 8-12 hours to cure, and has a working time of 3 hours.

There are other modeling epoxy putties out there that have less working time and faster curing times, but these are often used for repairs. But, work just as well.

Friendly plastic, also very good for starting from scratch...or using in combination with fabrication. This plastic, not so good to leave in the sunlight, or use directly by the atty. It can only tolerate 140-150 degree's(F) before becoming pliable.

Polymer clay (Such as Premo Sculpey, or Super Sculpy, or Fimo(harder)alone would be good as well, but this requires total planning ahead, since it's hardened with 300 degree temp. But, very cheap to obtain. Depending on thickness, it could be flexible, or as hard as a rock.

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
Yes, when one considers laminates, in a wide sense, the possibilities are many ...

Another idea: fibreglass

Had an idea to render a NicoBox in concrete once, so it resembles a rock ;)
I'm trying to fabricate a case out of total plexiglass....let me tell you something. Not worth it.

So, I'm cheating an going to make it out of total clear resin, with some color added....it's gonna be bad to the bone! Litterally.

One could combine epoxy putty as well with fabrication. Most epoxy is heat and shatter resistant, although toxic in it's separate compounds, once combined and cured...your good to go.

Magic sculp (not sculpt) is one that I use in combo with polymer clay. Magic sculp takes about 8-12 hours to cure, and has a working time of 3 hours.

There are other modeling epoxy putties out there that have less working time and faster curing times, but these are often used for repairs. But, work just as well.

Friendly plastic, also very good for starting from scratch...or using in combination with fabrication. This plastic, not so good to leave in the sunlight, or use directly by the atty. It can only tolerate 140-150 degree's(F) before becoming pliable.

Polymer clay (Such as Premo Sculpey, or Super Sculpy, or Fimo(harder)alone would be good as well, but this requires total planning ahead, since it's hardened with 300 degree temp. But, very cheap to obtain. Depending on thickness, it could be flexible, or as hard as a rock.

Some metal sheets can be cold hammered into shape, for a rugged, handmade look.

I'm trying to fabricate a case out of total plexiglass....let me tell you something. Not worth it.

So, I'm cheating an going to make it out of total clear resin, with some color added....it's gonna be bad to the bone! Litterally.

plexiglass is laminated glass or some type of plastic?

Zofryer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
Near DC
zofryer.com
I'll throw in my vote for Magic Sculpt. This stuff dries like a hard PVC at room tempurature. Very strong. Completely non-toxic. Waterproof. Easy to work with. Only downside is it degrades over time with UV exposure, so you should prime and paint it if that's a concern. It also doesn't shrink when it cures at all, and it dries very very smooth, plus you can shape it with water before it cures. There's just about nothing to hate about it. It's also not too expensive if you buy it by pound.

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
plexiglass is laminated glass or some type of plastic?
Yeah, it's what's used for bullet proofing. I heated 1/8 inch thick plexiglass at 1000 degree a couple days ago, yes 1000 degree Fahrenheit and it did not melt....was able to bend it pretty good, but 1000 is too hot and added tiny bubbles.

Last edited:

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
I'll throw in my vote for Magic Sculpt. This stuff dries like a hard PVC at room tempurature. Very strong. Completely non-toxic. Waterproof. Easy to work with. Only downside is it degrades over time with UV exposure, so you should prime and paint it if that's a concern. It also doesn't shrink when it cures at all, and it dries very very smooth, plus you can shape it with water before it cures. There's just about nothing to hate about it. It's also not too expensive if you buy it by pound.
Another sculptor maybe? lol

Stuff is great. Also, you can purchase them in a few various colors...but as I forgot to mention. Like polymer clay, it should be painted. They both are UV sensitive....Not sure how long it takes for Magic Sculp to be affected by UV, but it'll cut the life of the polymer to 10 to 25 years. But how long does anyone plan on keeping these things!? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread