Calling all modders

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo_tdo

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
Missouri
Hey dedmon, have you ever tinkered with injection molding?

I mean they sell this

http://www.injectionmolder.net/

I mean it just looks like it has a dial to select the proper temp to melt the plastic and then I would assume a corresponding nozzle size for the size of the mold. I'm guessing a person with benchtop drill press could use that while off too deliver the pressure needed?

Last edited:

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
No not really. That's usually high production manufacturing process. Although there are DIY projects that allow you to kind of mimic the process, this application would not compliment my type of work. I would rely on a manufacture who has the proper equipment to capture any amount of detail in my work.

This application would work if I got into vinyl/plastic model kits, where a reduction of loss would be needed to amplify my profits and to make kits lighter. But often times, a gyro casting is done in small production.

Last edited:

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
I'm not seeing the benefits of casting plastic with that particular injection molder. Not one bit. Especially for the size of the plate it allows. It's for small scale production and working with heated mediums....if you note, items are no larger than 3 inches.....and they are solid. How would this work in terms of developing a hollow case?

What you need is vacuum casting or gyro casting(spin casting). In this technique you can pour a 2 part plastic resin in small amounts, set to spin at a specific speed so that the liquid is forced to the sides of the mold with centrifugal force. This is a shelling process, you don't want mold injection.

Last edited:

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
Damn, got sidetracked check out this site

BOSS Enclosures | Electronic Enclosures, 19? Cabinets & Custom Plastic Enclosures

Modders dream of enclosures. Might not need to make one after all.
Now that you brought that back to memory. A couple months ago, I was looking at this site Hammond Manufacturing - 1553BTBUBKBAT - Allied Electronics

I would have ordered from them, but I began to lose patience with figuring out which came with battery enclosures, which had functioning buttons. Some of the prices are a bit steep as well, and would have only been worth it to purchase more than one.

There was another site, that my dumb self didn't save in my favs. It had better looking enclosures designed for other hand held apps with cool looking buttons and definite battery housing with clips.

May try to search for it again, but I happened to stumble on it, so it's not likely that I'd find it. My memory keeps saying michaelsomething.....I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread