Not open for further replies.

lasttango

What would Freud say?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Wilmington, DE / Ithaca, NY
www.last.fm
As I posted earlier, I am buying a starter kit... From the two days+ worth of research on this site and the net... seems like I might like the Ego/Tornado or the KR808D-1 - (The ego/tornado being similar to the 510... everyone raves about the 510).

Anyone had experience with either or both? Anyone know any clear advantages/disadvantages they have over each other?
Thanks, LT

lukemacneil

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2010
Uxbridge, Ma
www.lukemacneil.com
As I posted earlier, I am buying a starter kit... From the two days+ worth of research on this site and the net... seems like I might like the Ego/Tornado or the KR808D-1 - (The ego/tornado being similar to the 510... everyone raves about the 510).

Anyone had experience with either or both? Anyone know any clear advantages/disadvantages they have over each other?
Thanks, LT

I just ordered the Tornado, so I can't really comment on it yet, but honestly, that's for the car and home. The 808 is perfect for out and about. It's small, easy, and it just works.

frogbmth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Dorset, UK
www.jantyclub.com
I've used both extensively.

eGo
Very good battery life
Lots of vapour
Good throat hit
Small cart / spend a lot of time dripping or topping up
Manual only

KR808
Shorter battery life (get the PCC or XL batts)
Visible vapour less than 510
Good throat hit
Cart that lasts and lasts many hours so no constant topping up/dripping
Manual or auto

I personally find the flavours better on the KR, if you want the best of both, get the eGo batteries and a KR adapter to use cartomizers :)

Andy

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I really enjoy my KR808, my 510 not so much (not everyone raves about the 510). Oh, the 510 is alright ... I just like the 808 better. I also have a Janty Kissbox which I'm beginning to like more than I did at the start. I'm still waiting for delivery on my Tornado, so I can't make the comparison you request. I'm also getting adapters so I can use my KR808 cartomizers with the Tornado. But, I'll give the 510 atomizer a fair shake on it too. I'm wondering if an 801 atty can be used with the Tornado. Sorry, I'm rambling.

VDS_NY

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2009
Upstate NY
Hi lasttango,

I have both the eGo and the KR8. I would recommend either one as a starter kit.

The eGo is really a "new and improved" version of the 510 with great battery life and (IMO) a small increase in performance and a big improvement in taste/flavor (subjective). It is a 3 piece unit with cart, atty, and battery.

The KR8 is a 2 piece unit with cartomizer and battery, which it makes it very easy to use. Just screw a carto onto the battery and off ya go.

Comparing the two, and this is my opinion only, the eGo has better battery life and vapor. The Cartos offer better taste/flavor and hold more liquid. TH really depends more on the eliquid flavor and nic strength. Any ecig requires maintenance and refilling carts or cartos. With the eGo you'll probably find yourself dripping straight on the atty which is nice and easy for a few quick drags. The KR8 carto is great for going out and about, like lukemacniel said. With either model you can buy adapters so you use cartos on the eGo or 510 attys on the KR8 batts. You can also use a 901 atty on the KR8 batts without getting an adapter, to see if you prefer drippng.

Hope this helps you out and good luck!

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Remember taste and flavor are subjective too..I have a KR8 and an eGo..and honestly I prefer the taste on the 510...
The KR8...I use when I'm willing to sacrifice vapor production, TH, and taste for the sake of slightly more convenience.. as such my KR8 often sits for a week or more at a time untouched..honestly the only time I use it is when I'm up in the air multiple stories at work and really don't care if it would accidentally get dropped and broken or lost..it truely is my cheap, throw away PV..the dirty little secret.. the eGo is the one I show to people who are curious about what I'm "smoking"

And as a correction the eGo can be gotten in an automatic as well as manual version

dg99

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Remember taste and flavor are subjective too..I have a KR8 and an eGo..and honestly I prefer the taste on the 510...
The KR8...I use when I'm willing to sacrifice vapor production, TH, and taste for the sake of slightly more convenience.. as such my KR8 often sits for a week or more at a time untouched..honestly the only time I use it is when I'm up in the air multiple stories at work and really don't care if it would accidentally get dropped and broken or lost..it truely is my cheap, throw away PV..the dirty little secret.. the eGo is the one I show to people who are curious about what I'm "smoking"

And as a correction the eGo can be gotten in an automatic as well as manual version

This is the general consensus. Flavor and throat hit can be constantly debated, but the 510 produces MORE vapor without a doubt, and generally performs better in the vapor department according to experienced vapers who use both. KR8s are an excellent, simplistic go-to device that are generally fiddle free, produce adequate vapor, and last a good while (battery and cartridge volume). The eGo makes the 510 battery life a non issue though. You need to ask yourself if you want performance or simplicity, think mustang vs honda civic. Best of luck :)

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
This is the conclusion that I reached this week while reading and waiting for my new atties to arrive. :) Now I'm waiting on cartos to find out how that's going to work for me.

I've tried the cartos with an adapter on the eGo..
on the regular kr8 batteries the cartos are far too airy for my liking
on the eGo..some cartos fit under the atty cone..some don't..and it's the thickness of the label on the caro that make the difference on whether they fit or don't...when they do fit...they tighten up the draw substantially (almost too much I would say for some) ...without the atty cone they work just like a carto with a big 650mAh battery.. taking the label and underlying gunk off the carto seems to work well as an inbetween

~Jo~

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2010
People's Republic of Illinois
I've tried the cartos with an adapter on the eGo..
on the regular kr8 batteries the cartos are far too airy for my liking
on the eGo..some cartos fit under the atty cone..some don't..and it's the thickness of the label on the caro that make the difference on whether they fit or don't...when they do fit...they tighten up the draw substantially (almost too much I would say for some) ...without the atty cone they work just like a carto with a big 650mAh battery.. taking the label and underlying gunk off the carto seems to work well as an inbetween

Thank you. I'm glad to know that in advance. I'm still way new to this, so what does "tighten up the draw" mean?

One reason that I began to think the cartos would work for me is that the biggest complaint that I hear about cartos is that they don't have enough TH, and my eGo has been choking me part of the time. There are just so many freakin' variables involved. Moving to VG instead of PG seems to have solved that problem, though sometimes, it's still a little rough, and I'm not sure why yet.

I'm hopeful that the cartos can be my standard, with dripping when maybe I need a little more. I have extra parts to have two eGos put together all the time. I just don't want to drip all the time, and I don't want to deal with cart mods. So, I figure I'll go the easy route, and delve into the other stuff as needed. :)

And lasttango, sorry if I've hijacked your thread a tad.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Thank you. I'm glad to know that in advance. I'm still way new to this, so what does "tighten up the draw" mean?

One reason that I began to think the cartos would work for me is that the biggest complaint that I hear about cartos is that they don't have enough TH, and my eGo has been choking me part of the time. There are just so many freakin' variables involved. Moving to VG instead of PG seems to have solved that problem, though sometimes, it's still a little rough, and I'm not sure why yet.

I'm hopeful that the cartos can be my standard, with dripping when maybe I need a little more. I have extra parts to have two eGos put together all the time. I just don't want to drip all the time, and I don't want to deal with cart mods. So, I figure I'll go the easy route, and delve into the other stuff as needed. :)

And lasttango, sorry if I've hijacked your thread a tad.

What I mean by tighten up...I don't like the draw on the KR8 all by itself it's too airy for me feels like I'm sucking air through a straw..so lets transition that to say sucking water through a straw, now moving to progressively thicker liquids milk, milkshake etc.. so by tightening up I mean how hard you gave to draw and the air to vapor ratio..

Choking you huh?...hmm try leaving the atty cone off and see what that does..the cone prewarms the air coming in and thus kinda helps along the TH..leaving it off might soften that up just a touch..draw technique too..how do you take a drag? (I draw into my mouth and puff that out and then fill my mouth again and then inhale to lungs)..
obviously the PG vs VG that you've figured out...also nic levels and flavor...some flavors have more TH than others higher nic lvls also have more TH..

Be aware that flavors will taste vastly different on the cartos than the 510 due to heat of the atomizers..even the same liquids..and I've had some cartos where the TH was actually harsher on the carto...now mind you on occasion I like that so there are certain cartos that I get for specifically that reason (specifically the smilin special menthol from V4L is my kick in the thoat go to and it's a tasty tasty menthol (if you like menthol) kinda like an andes mint with a TH)

~Jo~

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2010
People's Republic of Illinois
What I mean by tighten up...I don't like the draw on the KR8 all by itself it's too airy for me feels like I'm sucking air through a straw..so lets transition that to say sucking water through a straw, now moving to progressively thicker liquids milk, milkshake etc.. so by tightening up I mean how hard you gave to draw and the air to vapor ratio..

Choking you huh?...hmm try leaving the atty cone off and see what that does..the cone prewarms the air coming in and thus kinda helps along the TH..leaving it off might soften that up just a touch..draw technique too..how do you take a drag? (I draw into my mouth and puff that out and then fill my mouth again and then inhale to lungs)..
obviously the PG vs VG that you've figured out...also nic levels and flavor...some flavors have more TH than others higher nic lvls also have more TH..

Be aware that flavors will taste vastly different on the cartos than the 510 due to heat of the atomizers..even the same liquids..and I've had some cartos where the TH was actually harsher on the carto...now mind you on occasion I like that so there are certain cartos that I get for specifically that reason (specifically the smilin special menthol from V4L is my kick in the thoat go to and it's a tasty tasty menthol (if you like menthol) kinda like an andes mint with a TH)

Thanks for clarifying. I thought you meant something like that, but when learning, it just seems best to make sure one understands the terminology. :) I'm having inconsistent results with dripping. I drip, get a few good drags, add more liquid, flood my atty, and start over again. :p I guess only experience is going to help me know when to add more juice. So, when I'm getting a decent puff, I inhale into my mouth first. When it starts seeming kind of weak, I inhale straight into my lungs. The VG has only choked me once, and that was in my wonky atty, but I'll definitely try the PG that I still have without the cone. And, yeah, I did notice that the 0mg PG didn't bother me near as much as the 18mg PG.

I appreciate your help. I get the feeling that I just need to find a couple of techniques that will work for me, and then use the one that best fits my circumstances. Like, when my three year old has been throwing a fit, I want something a bit more convenient than dripping. ;-) And like my son, I want this and I want it NOW. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread