Can I Charge my battery through my Playstation 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
The PS3 has to be on/running for it to charge anything through USB, so I'd assume so. No idea about your TV.

Now I'm getting curious and wondering if my Playstation controller can be charged through my TV or laptop and if anything with a USB cable can function in any USB port. If something were to go wrong while charging the e-cig battery I would prefer it go wrong with the TV than the laptop for obvious reasons.

Sthur

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Denver
Looks like it works, got off my couch to check :)

Looks like I have to dust too :)

image.jpg

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Check manufacturer specs

Not all USB ports are created Equal.

Some PC's have 6 ports with only 2 or 4 being powered(capable of powering external devices)

Awesome. Nearly fifty years old and I'm still learning something new everyday.:unsure:

Just turned 60 and still trying to teach people not to assume:laugh:

Last edited:

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Kind of a expensive charger. A 10$ USB hub or 3$ wall wart would be better to replace than a PS or TV remember guys these types of charging adapters and bats are churned out 1000s a day with not alot of quality control.

Didn't even know those things existed. Thanks for sharing.

But when you say USB hub aren't you still talking about something that needs to be plugged into something. A hub just lets you plug multiple devices in, right? How would that prevent damage to the pc? I don't know that charging off the pc would cause damage but someone mentioned that they could in fact do that.

Last edited:

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Check manufacturer specs

Not all USB ports are created Equal.

Some PC's have 6 ports with only 2 or 4 being powered(capable of powering external devices)

Just turned 60 and still trying to teach people not to assume:laugh:

I've never tried the USB port on the TV for anything. It's there so that you can watch films that you downloaded onto a storage device so I don't know if it's powered or not. I'll have to try it out when I get home.

HughDaHand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2012
Swartz Creek, MI
USB ports have to follow a standard. They are always powered at 5V +- 5% and at least 500mA. Some newer PC have usb charging ports that are 5V 2000mA. If they don't meet this they are not allowed to be labeled USB ports ore use a USB plug.

The only real problem charging from something like a PS3 is that if the charger is defective or shorts out it could damage whatever you have it plugged into. I charge mine ego's using the usb port on my cable box all the time with no problems, but then again it is a rental. :evil:

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Didn't even know those things existed. Thanks for sharing.

But when you say USB hub aren't you still talking about something that needs to be plugged into something. A hub just lets you plug multiple devices in, right? How would that prevent damage to the pc? I don't know that charging off the pc would cause damage but someone mentioned that they could in fact do that.

it will ruin the hub vs the usb port its plugged in to. I had a Ego charging adapter fry a USB hub it was the kind you also plug into the wall it would not transfer data any more. Years ago I had a cell phone fry my lap top back then both were not the norm and pretty high dollar items.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Everything you never wanted to know about USB:

USB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Headaches free of charge:)

And, I've been charging devices off my USB ports for over 3 years. Never had a problem. USB ports do have surge protection to reduce power spiking on connection.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Look at it this way, big screen TV- $1000, Playstation - $400, wall wart less than $10. Which would you chose to risk? Not saying that anything will go wrong, but Murphy's Law says it will, sometime. Wall warts are cheap, TVs. Playstations, laptops and desktops are too expensive for me to take the risk.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
USB ports have to follow a standard. They are always powered at 5V +- 5% and at least 500mA. Some newer PC have usb charging ports that are 5V 2000mA. If they don't meet this they are not allowed to be labeled USB ports ore use a USB plug.

The only real problem charging from something like a PS3 is that if the charger is defective or shorts out it could damage whatever you have it plugged into. I charge mine ego's using the usb port on my cable box all the time with no problems, but then again it is a rental. :evil:

Sound advice. If it came to losing my save ps3 games or losing everything on my laptop I'd sacrifice the ps3.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Look at it this way, big screen TV- $1000, Playstation - $400, wall wart less than $10. Which would you chose to risk? Not saying that anything will go wrong, but Murphy's Law says it will, sometime. Wall warts are cheap, TVs. Playstations, laptops and desktops are too expensive for me to take the risk.

Funny, I thought you originally said Wal Mart and I was wondering, HUH?? but I see you said "wall wart" a term I'm not familiar with. Looking it up that's just something that you plug into your wall which isn't what I'm actually asking about. Yes, I know plugging it into the wall would be safer but I'm asking about USB ports. But I get what you're saying, if the ps3 or tv or whatever is plugged into the wall then why not just plug the recharger into the wall rather than through those items; makes sense.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
What I am saying is that if something goes wrong with the battery while charging it is easier to replace that wall wart than a TV or other electronic device. There have been horror stories of batteries going into thermal runaway while charging and you really wouldn't want that to happen while it's plugged into an expensive piece of electronics.

Wall wart is just a slang term for any transformer that gets used for powering a device, whether it's a laptop or an e-cig battery. Make sure your charger actually matches the demands of the battery as well. If it doesn't have enough current capacity, charging can take a very long time and the risk of overloading it is increased as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread