Can I do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eviecat

Jan 12, 2018
Hi! Nice to meet you all. I've decided it's time to give up the cigs and start vaping but can I do it?! I've been smoking for a long time and am actually pretty scared of switching because I have been addicted for so long. Please can anyone share how they found the transition and any advice please? Thank you. X

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hi! Nice to meet you all. I've decided it's time to give up the cigs and start vaping but can I do it?! I've been smoking for a long time and am actually pretty scared of switching because I have been addicted for so long. Please can anyone share how they found the transition and any advice please? Thank you. X
Hello and welcome.
I started smoking daily when I was 8 years old, smoked for until I was 53 years old. Pack a day+ when I graduated HS. I started vaping 3 years ago and quit smoking 2.5 years ago. Cutting down to a few cigs a day was easy, giving up the morning smoke not so much. If you want to you can do it. I tried most every smoking cessation gimmick/cure available, vaping was the only thing that worked for me.
Some dual for awhile as I did, some were able to quit immediately. Your journey will be your own and we are all happy to help you get started.

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
Welcome. I don't want to put you in a box, thinking there is only one way to transition. I picked up a Kanger Evod on a Tuesday and used it exclusively. I was a 2 1/2 pack a day smoker for over 45 years. I started with 24mg nicotine. It has been 4 years without a cigarette. Still have the old Evod with spare coils around here...some place.
Others have had success as dual users for a period of time. I guess the best answer is find a vape shop and also get device advice here. Start vaping!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Howdy and welcome :)
My understanding is there are a few hiccups that can happen along the way, but the long term results are spectacular. There may be able joe of extra coughing as your lungs slowly eject the funk from them, and getting your taste and smell back can be briefly jarring. Don’t let them stop you though. The results are worth it.

There are several threads here about changes your body can go through as it recovers from cigarettes. I’d link them but I’m historically v rly poor at that. Likely there will be someone along who can though
GL

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco

Hello.

You can definitely do it if you want to. Lots of others have. The key is the desire to do so and finding something that works for you.

I managed to quit smoking and vape only after 45 years or so smoking over a pack a day. So yes you can do it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Hi Eviecat. Welcome to the ECF.

Did you Smoke a PAD+ for over 30 Years?
Did you Try Everything and were maybe able to Quit? But Unable to Stay Quit?
Was Quitting an Almost Unbearable Struggle? Where at Times it seemed that it Wasn't Worth It?
Did you get to the Point where you just Resolved Yourself to the Fact that you Couldn't Quit? Even though you could see the Damage that Smoking was doing to your Health?

Well I did. And I Quit Smoking by using an e-Cigarette.

I Won't tell you that I took One Hit off an e-Cigarette and Never smoked again. Because it Didn't work like that for me. I needed to ramped Down on Smoking while ramping Up on my e-Cigarette.

And I won't tell you that Quitting that mourning coffee / after dinner cigarette was easy to give up. Because they weren't. And it took some Teeth Gritting to do it.

But I will tell you that If I can Quit, then just about Anyone can Quit.

The Key is you have to Want to Quit More than you Want to Smoke. And Success is measured in how many Cigarettes you Don't Smoke. And Not in how many you Do when you quit.

Do yourself a favor and get a Simple Mod with a mainstream Tank that uses Drop-in Coil Heads. And Try a handful of Flavors and Nicotine Levels to you find some that you could use all day.

You can Quit Smoking. Guaranteed.

But it might take a little Trial and Error to find what Works Best for You. So just take it One Day at a Time.

:)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
You can do it!

Buy a good e-cig and start vaping. It'll take 2 days to 2 months for you to 'know' in yourself if it can be done.

Don't buy any old junk.
Don't buy cig-a-like rubbish.
Don't buy tobacco company useless rip offs.
and PLEASE - don't read the reviews convincing you that a certain system is the best because a lot of the nasty vaping companies are total sharks. They will sell you a $30 e-cig for $119.99 before you can blink.

If are not sure, please ask on here. Do not trust reviews for low-level basic consumer e-cig products. Do not trust product comparison/review websites.. too many are evil money-making scams.

I wasted $800 and 3 months using a useless rip off system. You can do better than me!

Good luck.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You CAN do it.

Will you do it? That will be up to you. I first encountered vaping about 6 years ago and quit for a short time, but returned to smoking. Then I dual used for a while, until returning to smoking alone for a couple years. I eventually got so sick, I decided to try vaping *again* and I was fairly sure I wouldn't be successful, in fact almost certain I wasn't going to be.

Well, every quit is different. This time around I dual used for a couple of weeks, and slowly and steadily decreased my intake. I used WTA e-liquid (Whole tobacco alkaloid, it contains some of the other stuff in cigs that causes brain satiation besides nic) while I detoxed of tar (which is also psychoactive, actually). I took a leave of absence from work, and since I'd had pneumonia for 18 months straight I think they were as relieved as I. It wasn't easy, and I've fallen off the wagon from time to time (found out I am a stress smoker) I have been cigarette free enough for my doc, my own body, and whatever else to note vast improvements. It took experimenting with gear, which does change rapidly, e-liquids (I discovered I was PG sensitive, which is an ingredient in e-liquid which doesn't HAVE to be there in great quantities) and that I liked high resistance with low power and high nic. I have learned to DIY my e-liquid, and enjoy that, and build my own coils, and most of all I have been for 99.9% of the time, cigarette free. I have occasionally stressed out and smoked one, but I didn't let it lead me back to vaping, and that's the great part for me.

Now my husband who smoked since age 8 is starting the process-- dual using, with WTA and etc. He's doing okay. I was a 3 ppd smoker by the end, and to be honest it took the threat of COPD and what THAT lifestyle was like to achieve it. But vaping CAN be accomplished, it's a bit different for everyone, it's normal to be afraid of quitting. I just followed one piece of advice here: keep vaping.

I experimented with a lot, but I vaped before (and after) every cigarette to reinforce being a vaper. I made it through detox, and am now (apart from times of insane stress) a non-smoker, and I am working on extinguishing that Very Occasional (probably ever 3 mo, sometimes I didn't even finish it) Stress Smoke, but identify as a vaper, and imagine I will continue to do so....

So yes, you can, just keep at it, come here for questions advice, support, etc. Vaping may surprise you, it did me, and I had tried vaping before.

Best of luck,

Anna

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Surely if we can do it, so can you. I smoked for over 30 years and was a 1 1/2 to 2 pack a day smoker and thought that I would never be able to quit. Vaping has been such a blessing to me and couldn't believe that I actually could quit smoking until I did. I duel used for several months and I remember having my cigarette and my tobacco flavored ecig in each hand and took a hit off each until I noticed that they basically tasted the same to me so I was able to put the cigarettes down for good. I still keep that setup with that juice to this day as a reminder to myself that picking up a cigarette is not worth it because I've come so far and vape that during stressful situations.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
J8LxMut.gif

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
hmmm..

where do i begin...
i began vaping in 2013.
I quit smoking a month ago.

tips... and these are my opinions on some one who spent $8000 by the 2nd year.

Buy one good mouth to lung tank, one good sub ohm tank, one good rda, one good rta.

no right or wrong i recommend (nautilus, uwell crown original or 3, or NRG or baby beast with nrg coils, drop rda and wake or kensei rta. Watch build tutuorials on each and give each one a try.

Stock up in coils and buy build stuff, coil master jig, wire and cotton

buy a single mod for travel and quick trips... buy one or two dual battery mods for regular every day vape.
buy what you can from fast tech and or 3fvape

when chosing a mod google the mod name and the word issues and/or problems
example.... vaporesso revenger x problem

buy a 4 bay battery charger and have enough batteries to double what you need for the mods you have.
use imrbatteries or rtd vapor.

Don't buy cheap juice yet.
don't run out of juice
my favorite vendor is stash ejuice.. lots of flavor have had luck with getting help on the gourmet thread in ecf for picking good strong flavors.

do not pressure yourself.
go dual.. vape and smoke for a while.
download a smoking app that tells you how many days you been smoke free.

vape thru urges.. each week they pass quicker.
don't go longer if you can help it, than 30 minutes with out vaping especially in the beginning, set a timer on your phone if you have to.

Join facebook fan group pages of the gear and juice you have. you will find lots of support. Once you pick your tanks stay away from new stuff and work with what you got.. if you're mtl tank isnt' doing it, learn how to use your sub ohm tank...

for me the mtl tanks were a waste of money in the end. i went sub ohm tanks.. now i got so many that' its stupid and i can barely afford the coils.. so now i want to build to keep it cheaper and i'm told it's better flavor and more control of the vape i am looking for.

Stay out of vape shops.. they are too expensive.
Watch you tube reviews of gear you are interested in. Or to learn how to build...
my fave reviewers are Juicy jones, vaping with vic, and heathen in that order.
there are more great reviewers, i just personally like those guys.

Go for strong flavors at first.. it's been a month and i'm now able to tolerate lighter flavors better.. but if my juice aint strong enough i would just pick up a smoke.

You got this.

again, these are my opinions this is what i wish i had done from the get go. and i'd save myself a lot of freakin money. and hassle.

right now my favorite mod is a small vaporesso swag single 18650 battery. (i have a ijoy genie coming in the mail) i have a ton of mods that are failing on me. I'm glad i have back ups.
my favorite tank is the original uwell crown mini.
my favorite juice i have two.. stash eliquid cinnamon girl and southbound

Last edited:

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
5 1/2 years ago we didn't have all of the fancy devices that are available today. I was a 43 year 3 pad smoker. I was actively trying to quit. I bought my first starter kit on a whim (a cig-sized with a cartomizer) hoping that it might help me cut down some. 3 days later I had my last cigarette.

My wife was a 40 year 1 1/2 pad a day smoker and her first starter kit arrived a week later (after she witnessed my success). It took her 2-3 weeks of dual use but she was smoke free after that.

If we can do it anyone can. Sure, there were hiccups along the way...finding the right flavor etc. But it sure was fun. Just get started with something simple and enjoy the journey. Don't fret it. We're here to help.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
@Eviecat, Welcome to the forum. You have already received some great advice. Everybody is a little different how they go about quitting. Here a few of my recommendations:

1. Remember your mind set is #1
2. If you know another vaper around you they will be tons of help to you.
3. Get you an affordable starter kit that is easy to operate for a beginner. Most beginners quickly upgrade so try to keep your starter under $30. You just want it to be easy to use.
4. The success to quitting is matching your equipment and eliquid level to your nicotine needs.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I think just about every person here had that same can I ever really stop feeling. I didn’t think it would work either. Consider this, if you try vaping and it doesn’t work, you’ve lost nothing. If it does work you’ve gained so many benefits from improvements in your health to savings over the cost of cigarettes. Sort of makes it a no brainer to go for it.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Can you do it?
Sure, if you want.

Cause before you do anything and succeed you have to want to succeed. May or may not even know you're ready.

I tried quitting 100+ times and failed. Truthfully never really wanted to, just had everyone and their brother shoving anti-smoking opinion down my throat.

One day I wanted to pick up a vape and quit. Flicked a cig out as I walked through the vape door. Walked up to the counter and said "I'm ignorant about vape...teach me".

Haven't smoked since. Don't wanna smoke.

Be warned though, it can also be a hobby. A hobby thts a deep, deep hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread