Can miners vape at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I had a fellow email me this evening with an inquiry as to whether or not the Electronic Cigarette is safe to use in the mineshaft as he claims the MSHA disallows the smoking of tobacco products. I'm not sure what the reasoning is, but I imagine it has to do with sparking underground methane (or other gas) deposits.

I didn't know what to tell him, but was hoping someone here might have a clue.

I'm not sure if e-cigarettes are spark-proof.

Anyway, if any of you know anything, please let me know.

Eric

Last edited:

Texas Rover

Aug 14, 2009
I do know that plants here along the gulf coast use smoking areas with electric lighters.
basicly a electric coil that produces a hot filiment to light the cigerett. Not many plants will let you bring a lighter on to the facility. No open flames are alowed. This type of lighter produces a lot more heat than the 510 I have. I dont know if that helps but....

Hinterscher

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
Southern Indiana, USA
My husband vapes and is a coal miner. Federal regulations prohibit smoking, or any component (lighters, cigarettes/cigars) from entering the shaft. However, he HAS discussed the use of VP's underground at his mine site and the Federal inspector said that, one, he would have to discuss it with the district bureau manager, and , two, since we use battery operated lasers to put in our sights to make sure our miner operators are cutting straight, and there is already a set guideline for where they can and cannot be, he did not se any reason why they could not be used u/g.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread