Can someone explain the UDCT tank to me a little better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayblades

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
Arlington, VA
I just bought a UDCT tank and was confused about what it was before I bought it. Had to try it though. I also bought a 5 pack of replacement cartos made for it.

View attachment 149003

Here is the difference between the DCT tanks and UDCT tanks. The bottom has a place for the carto to lock into as well as a ring to hold it on. The tank doesn't come entirely apart either. There are no o-rings like the previous design, it is actually attached to the top and the bottom.

I do have a few complaints with this tank however. For starters the carto that came in it was faulty. So I went to put a new one in. It didn't fit in the locking grooves, so I had to file the carto down a little. The cartos are not meant for high voltage, I was warned of this by the vendor. I was told to run it at 3V however I run it at 3.6V. They are only 1.6ohms though.

The last problem I had is that the locking ring sits too tight against the Provari body, and doesn't let any air in. I have to run it without the ring. Here is a picture of the problem:

View attachment 149004

I am working on a solution this morning. Dremel time.

I have the same problemwith the UDCT on a lavatube/ lambo mini mod. I used a dremel to chip two slots on opposite sides of the ring from the thicker part of the ring. It worked, but i still don't get good airflow if i take the ring off or unscrew the tank a quarter turn. Overall, pretty displeased with the Locking UDCT tank. Just ordered ViVi Nova's as I've only heard great things. 121128-110028.jpg

TravTech

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2012
PA
Those having fitting issues, try these.

U-DCT eGo battery thread cover

It's a different style bottom cap for the U-DCT / Artemas. It screws onto the tank the same way then threads over the ego battery threads.

It allows these tanks (for me anyway) to work on my Zmax's and ego Twists, where they didn't make post contact before with the original bottom cap. They're avaiable in Black Chrome and Silver Chrome and actually look pretty good when installed.

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'm thinking with an ego-510 adapter, they should work fine on my Provari as well.

They may be available in other colors and from other vendors as well. This was just the first place I saw them.

TravTech

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2012
PA
On second thought,scratch what I said about those cones and the Zmax.

I could swear I got it to work on the Zmax while at work with the cone bottom caps. But now that I'm home, I'm having center post contact issues again with the Zmax with both bottom cap types. The cone shaped bottom caps still work well with the Ego twists, and they work OK on the Provari with a ego-510 adapter. But it does add length of course.

TravTech

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2012
PA
OK I see what I did now...

The Artemus tanks DO work just fine on the Zmax with the original Flat bottom cap. It was only with the Ego cone shaped bottom cap where the cartos won't make center pin contact. But they're not needed anyway on the Zmax.

Sorry for the confusion!

Vamo = Artemus works fine out of the box
Zmax = Artemus works fine out of the box
Provari = Needs the Ego cone (above) & Ego - 510 adapter for airflow.
Bolt = Artemus works fine out of the box
VV Gripper = Artemus works fine out of the box

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I can also confirm what Trav said, these tanks work perfectly with a Z-Max with the regular locking ring, and look great too!

So any idea why they work with the Z-Max but not the Provari? From what I've seen the heads of both units look very similar. I know the Provari is a bit larger in diameter than the Z-Max, so perhaps it's just a slight difference in head angle or diameter. I don't have a Provari to compare to my Z-Max so I'm just curious exactly what the difference with the heads are.

Also, for you Provari owners that want to use these tanks, there now exists a slim version of the Artemas tank. It's probably the smallest tank I've seen, it's a millimeter or two smaller in diameter than those Smoktech 3.5ml eGo tanks. It's the exact same design as the large Artemas tanks, same materials and construction, just slimmer. These would fit on a Provari without issues, I'd imagine.

Last edited:

Stat

Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
Navarre
They also have the "tank air flow controller". I had to do some modifications (shorten the center pin and thin down the air control ring) to get them to work with provaries. They worked unmodified but everything could not be tightened down without cramming the center contact up the carto. It is shorter than the ego adapter option.
photo 1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread