Can you use normal food flavouring from the market for DIY e-liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozm8ey

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2014
melboune,australia
Just wondering can you use just normal food flavouring from the shopping market instead of having to buy them from a vaping supplier? Its just its a lot cheaper like from say woolworths. I can get some of the flavourings for about $3 AUD for 100 ml which seems to be a lot cheaper than from a supplier.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I'm going to say no. Most contain oils that are harmful to inhale. Best to purchase from manufacturers that have been deemed GRAS (generally regarded as safe).

But oils are present in some of the flavoring we use for vaping – namely citrus fruit flavours. Have a look at the MSDA and COA spec sheets from those companies that offer them without request. Or request them from the companies that do not have them publicly available. They must comply to your request.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    But oils are present in some of the flavoring we use for vaping – namely citrus fruit flavours. Have a look at the MSDA and COA spec sheets from those companies that offer them without request. Or request them from the companies that do not have them publicly available. They must comply to your request.

Okay. Should the OP get some McCormicks and go to town?

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    A list of vendor's flavors and ingredients to avoid: https://safety.diyejuice.org/vendors

Cheers
    I

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Okay. Should the OP get some McCormicks and go to town?

No, never stated that. But in terms of questioning oils, there are vape flavours that contain oils. And to add, how many have avoided all the flavours listed by the link @Izan provided. And not just with DIY, but commercial e-juice as well.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    There was a post on reddit ECR a while back made by someone who used McCormick food flavoring and had negative affects on his lungs. It was surmised by others that it was the oil in it, but he never did go back to post a followup, IIRC.

Don't reinvent the wheel. Buy flavors other DIYers are buying from DIY vendors. Last I checked, food flavoring at the supermarket doesn't cost any less anyhow and the selection is lackluster.

NCC

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2010
    Fla Panhandle, USA
    As I recall from a discussion on this years ago, regular food flavorings just aren't concentrated enough.
    Instead of 5-15%, you may have to double or triple the volume, and that wouldn't work so well. At least, that's the way I recall it.
    Flavorings made specifically for candy making may be. But then, they're also more expensive than grocery store food flavorings.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Just wondering can you use just normal food flavouring from the shopping market instead of having to buy them from a vaping supplier? Its just its a lot cheaper like from say woolworths. I can get some of the flavourings for about $3 AUD for 100 ml which seems to be a lot cheaper than from a supplier.

There are a Couple of Problems with using many Food Flavorings sold in Grocery Stores or stores like Woolworths.

One is that Many are Oil Based. And Most people consider Oil Based flavorings as something to Avoid. And Many Oil Based Flavorings can include Stabilizers so the flavoring Doesn't separate.

Also, just about All grocery store Flavoring contain Bulking Agents. So instead of buying a 10ml Bottles which would be Very Hard to measure from, you are buying 60ml or 120ml bottle where something like a Teaspoon can be used. And many of these Bulking Agents are... You Guessed it, Oil.

They also many contain Dyes to make them Cosmetically appealing. A Coloured e-Liquid doesn't make an e-Liquid taste any better To Me. So I would rather Not put Dye Colourants into my lungs.

You really aren't saving any Money if something cost 1/3 less than something else, but you have to use 3 Times as much to get the same Strength.

My Advice is stick to Places that sell DIY e-Liquid flavorings. And avoid Oil Based flavorings.

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I don't know what's so funny about me vaping peppermint oil. It's diseartening. Now I have to find a new flavor to vape.

If you’re referring to seeing your mint on that list Izan posted, I wouldn’t panic. Every flavor I vape is probably on that list.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    @Punk In Drublic , knock it off. You know better.

LOL…thanks

I’m not trying to stir the pot. But if oils are being brought up in the context of e-juice, I do think it is important to identify they are present in some flavours. And not for my sake, but so that others can evaluate their own risks.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    If you’re referring to seeing your mint on that list Izan posted, I wouldn’t panic. Every flavor I vape is probably on that list.

Well that's reassuring. I wasn't a menthol cigarette smoker, but somehow I got hooked on peppermint vape and I've been vaping it for years. Hardly vape anything else. Just a little RY4 here and there.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I noticed you are in Aussie. I'm in NZ, and agree that the cost of diy concentrates down under is pretty high.

Chefs Flavours LTD is in the UK. They charge £4.71 shipping. Use the coupon code TheKitchen for 15% off:
    Chefs Flavours LTD

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I agr
    As I recall from a discussion on this years ago, regular food flavorings just aren't concentrated enough.
    Instead of 5-15%, you may have to double or triple the volume, and that wouldn't work so well. At least, that's the way I recall it.
    Flavorings made specifically for candy making may be. But then, they're also more expensive than grocery store food flavorings.
    I agree... plus having to use that much will be similar to adding water. Also, some of the flavors will not compare to top quality vape flavors (it would be like choosing all the crappy low rated flavors on purpose) DIY is so affordable why not treat yourself to better ingredients?

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I don't know what's so funny about me vaping peppermint oil. It's diseartening. Now I have to find a new flavor to vape.
    There's one flavor vendor who's done extensive safety testing, and they make a peppermint:

Flavour-Art-Peppermint-120ml.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread