• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

[Canada] New to vapor - help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoUnique

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2012
Onatrio, Can.
Welcome RSfooled. You'll get a lot of suggestions cuz all of us may have a different opinion. Without knowing some background info it will be hard to lead you in the right direction also.

Were you a heavy smoker, strong or light cigs, long time smoker?
Have you had any experience with e-cigs?

I get all my hardware from canvape, the best prices that I've seen in Canada and they have awesome customer service. I really like the eGo twist batteries, they are variable volts and less expensive then a mod. For a newbie a Stardust or a T2 Kanger are both user friendly. An attie & drip tip are useful also, to taste new juices before you fill a tank with something you don't like. It is highly recommended to have back up parts.

You can get a list by PM of Canadian vendors for nic juice. It's a good idea to get sample sizes of juice to start off, and lots of different flavours. This way you have a better chance of finding ones you like & don't waist as much money of the ones that aren't for you.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll get a lot more suggestions soon

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
As has been said, this is a highly subjective topic. There are some PVs that are generally accepted as being high end, reliable, great performers, etc. Devices like the Provari and Darwin fit that bill, but they're also quite expensive. There are less expensive devices like the VMax or eGo-C Twist, which are also quite good though perhaps not as sturdy. And the PV is only really half the equation. There are also cartomizers and clearomizers to consider, which will also tend to get you a fairly wide response to what's best. Cartomizers in particular are sort of hard to gauge because the two biggest cartomizer manufacturers have been having a lot of difficulty this year maintaining quality levels so a lot of us have been going with other brands.

For starting out, what I'd recommend is something like a couple of eGo-C Twist batteries and an eGo charger or two as the base. This will give you a good, relatively slim battery that can handle true variable voltage to allow you to tailor your experience to a respectable degree at an extremely reasonable price. As for what to attach to it, I would start off either with some Boge cartomizers -- standard or low resistance will do fine because you can adjust the voltage either way to suit your tastes -- or a Stardust 2 clearomizer and a few spare heads. The cartomizers are easier to deal with because you just fill and go, refill when needed, and replace when they're no longer performing to your needs. Stardust 2 clearomizers are easier to refill but require you to keep in mind that they need to be tipped on end periodically to make sure sufficient E-liquid is getting to the top of the wicks. Outside of that though they're pretty easy to deal with as well, and are quicker to fill. Plus you can see your juice levels.

With this sort of setup you could get going with a pair of batteries, charger, and a few cartomizers or clearomizers for around $60-80. Then you just need to get some E-liquid -- and if nothing else, you won't find a wider range of subjective opinions than what the "best" juice is, because everyone's tastes are different.

RSfooled

Oct 11, 2012
canada
Thank you for the help I really appreciate it =) but as being a newbie I didn't understand some of the things. I don't mean to be spoon fed but would you be able to setup links or a list where I can just search for them. Last thing I want is to fail first time vape experience. Up to $100 with shipping is fine

I'm guessing those that look like a real cigarette are minitature versions compared to the real deal experience like the ones you mentioned earlier eh

@SoUnique, I smoke about a pack a day so heavy I'd say.

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Ego twist;
http://www.canvape.com/ego-c-ego-c-twist-ego-twist-vv-variable-voltage-p/twist.htm
Charger;
eGo USB Rapid USB Charger

Kanger T2;
t2 T2 Kanger Changeable Coil coil 5

Vivi Nova;
Vivi Nova V3 & Replacement Parts Long Wicked Standard.

This stuff is all cigar sized. The Redds Kit is cigarette sized and supposed to be not bad, but more or less everyone gets annoyed with the short battery life and lower performance in the smaller sizes.
Canadian E-cigarette Redds

It's better to keep asking questions before you order anything, instead of after. :)

Youtube is also a great resource, Vaporchase and Therealcmac are both Canadian reviewers.

Vaporchase's youtube channel;
VaporChase - YouTube

Therealcamc's youtube channel;
thereal cmac - YouTube

Last edited:

VIPOD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
NB,Canada
What else can be said, all great suggestions.

Just one note, since you smoke a pack a day, it might be wise to keep the nic level no lower than 18mg.

This is a good resource for new people to vaping, provides information in order for you to make an informed decision...best of luck!

Vaping Guide | Guide To Vaping

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada

Samyaza

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
London, ON
Ty chagrin! Which battery mah should I get? With all of them, which option do I choose?

mah can equate to length of time between charges, so a 650mah won't last as long as a 1000mah before it needs to be recharged (as a very general rule 100mah = 1hr, but that's a very rough idea). With the Twist it also relates to the length of the actual battery, so a 650mah will not be as long as a 1000mah battery.

These are not Twists, just standard egos, the twist is a bit longer than these, but it's a good idea in the differences in sizes between the different mah batteries.

RollandOfGilead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
Kingston, On, Canada
Ty chagrin! Which battery mah should I get? With all of them, which option do I choose?

The higher the mah the longer it will last between charges but also the longer in physical length it is. Really comes to what would you prefer.

Or just read above poster who beat me to the punch.

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Edit: I've gotta learn to write less. :) Short answer, I'd say the standard resistant and smaller Vivi, in my opinion.

There's the stardust too, which a lot of people like and is the same basic design. I personally don't like it much, so I didn't link it in my above post - it was already long enough. :)

Lower omhs create more heat/vapour at a lower voltage, higher omhs need a higher voltage. If you get a standard EGO battery, the voltage is 3.7v, 3.3 under load, so you usually want lower omhz. If you're getting the twist, most people prefer standard resistance, because you can turn the voltage from 3.3 to 4.8 V and have more range. Everyone's a bit different and it doesn't hurt to try a few resistances. I'm sure someone else can explain that better.

The 3.5 ml Vivi has a bigger diameter so it's wider than an ego battery, but holds more. The smaller mini is basically the same size as the EGO. You might want a cone to go under whichever one you choose; Shorty Tank Cone(eGo thread covers) Unlike the stardust or kanger, they don't have the little bit of metal under them, to cover the gap.

Here's a comparison image, with the straight cone under the small version and the flared cone under the bigger one; http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/342/203/466/466203342_950.jpg

Last edited:

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Keep in mind, this set-up works well but is HUGE in comparison to a smoke and takes some getting used to. Since I can never find good pictures online;

Here are my ego twists 900 mah batteries (the 650 is about 1 cm shorter and the 1000 is 1 cm longer give or take), a Kanger T2 on top, a Vivi mini .. and straight cone beside, showing where it would go and what it would cover. In comparison to a king sized cigarette.

IMG_0553.jpg

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, cone 1 from canvape for the small vivi, cone 2 with the bigger vivi. Neither is necessary, but it covers the bigger threads for a better look and adds a bit of support.

Nicotine is sort of under the radar in Canada, you can request the list of vendors by posting here; http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/canada-forum/293380-canadian-juice-w-nic-supplier-list-via-pm-only-part-2-a-54.html.

I'll PM you a vendor suggestion that's probably the most popular one.

As for liquids, most people would say 18 or 24 mg. Also some people can go straight from smoking to fruity or candy flavours, but not everyone can. Personally I had use strong tobaccos, then lighter tobaccos and after months I got used to sweeter things. So I'd suggest a variety with at least a couple tobaccos in the smaller bottle sizes to test.

Edit: Since it's Friday anyway, you might want for a couple of other people to chime in with opinions. :) I sent you the vendors list and my personal suggestion of a good popular vendor.

Last edited:

cactusgirl

Sage Tribal Queen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
Yeah I'll wait till Monday, PayPal would be so easier....ugh their complicated payment options lol

You'll find that almost no ecig/juice vendor will take the risk of using PayPal - PayPal policy and terms forbid ecig (related) purchases using their platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread