• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Canada Post is going back to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kams Cats

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
While I appreciate good politics and democracy - I'm hoping, praying even - that the post office goes back to work. This is getting nuts....

I know it's so frustrating. One side of me agrees that all bills should all be carefully weighed and looked at but the other side of me says enough!!! I want the mail back yesterday! **sigh**

kanadiankat

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Alberta, Canada
www.electrovapors.com
Senate has passed the bill - the postal service will go back to work.

It needs to be signed by the gov general (but he has no debating rights on this - just a rubber stamp). 24 hours later the bill goes into effect.

So it looks like Monday night the sorting centers will reopen and Tuesday - parcel deliveries!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Canada
While I appreciate good politics and democracy - I'm hoping, praying even - that the post office goes back to work. This is getting nuts....

The only reason I will be glad to see it running under these circumstances is for the customers who’s orders were held hostage by Canada Post management. Other than that I think any wait is worth protecting our rights.

I think now it can be argued that Canada Post management was never under any pressure to settle. They knew that the government would legislate the workers back to work, so why bother to negotiate? I’m willing to wager if the government wouldn’t have stepped in, this thing would’ve been settled possibly long before now, and possible even before a strike in the first place.

Now you can get your mail, bills and all. But at what price? This is a sad day for Canada and all workers.

Minister Raitt has stated that the government is willing to do it again “If it is a matter of national public interest, the government will intervene.”. Notice “essential services” are not even a prerequisite anymore. Seems under this government unless you are a starving artist or are an ice salesman in Yellowknife you have lost your right to collective bargaining.

TallGrass

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
after arbitration is finished and done with they'll probably just get a 2% wage increase over each of the next 3 years instead of 3%..... while the private sector is blown away.

I like my mailguy, he's there every day at 10:47 AM.. like clockwork. He's a nice guy but if he gives me one word about how they were screwed.........

NatureBoy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Peterborough, ON, Canada
The only reason I will be glad to see it running under these circumstances is for the customers who’s orders were held hostage by Canada Post management. Other than that I think any wait is worth protecting our rights.

I think now it can be argued that Canada Post management was never under any pressure to settle. They knew that the government would legislate the workers back to work, so why bother to negotiate? I’m willing to wager if the government wouldn’t have stepped in, this thing would’ve been settled possibly long before now, and possible even before a strike in the first place.

Now you can get your mail, bills and all. But at what price? This is a sad day for Canada and all workers.

Minister Raitt has stated that the government is willing to do it again “If it is a matter of national public interest, the government will intervene.”. Notice “essential services” are not even a prerequisite anymore. Seems under this government unless you are a starving artist or are an ice salesman in Yellowknife you have lost your right to collective bargaining.
Your post makes no sense. What "starving artist" or "ice salesman" has a union and gripes about a bunch of BS (with a couple legitimate issues) causing enormous inconveniences to Canadians (businesses and individuals) nation-wide?

Just a bit melodramatic there bud..

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Can_supplier said:

Canada Post gave the union a better offer than what this bill is giving workers. That has to say something about their willingness to work with the Union. Basically what the Union wanted was more than what CP offered, which was more than what the Government legislated.

Union gambled and lost big time. Keep in mind that CP will almost definately post a loss this year. Losing millions of dollars per day isn't any pressure?

The whole situation is a complete cluster-fudge.

bobsyeruncle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 5, 2010
    in a cave, eh?
    Canada Post said they were going to be open Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays after a week of rotating strikes. Instead, they just kept the workers locked out and forced back-to-work legislation. I feel like I got screwed over by both sides. Neither side was completely honest about their position. But, Canada Post was the bigger tool in my opinion.

Can_supplier

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2009
    Canada
    Union gambled and lost big time. Keep in mind that CP will almost definately post a loss this year. Losing millions of dollars per day isn't any pressure?

The whole situation is a complete cluster-fudge.

No I don't think losing millions of dollars per day is, or it didn't seem to be much pressure. Rotating strikes were costing them, but locking everything down had to be costing them more.

It’s even more silly if you do the math. The union wanted 1% more than was offered, so let’s take a worker who makes $25/hour. That is a 25 cent/hour raise, works out to $550. 48,000 workers X $550 = $26.4 million. If the strike was costing as claimed hundreds of millions that was a rather poor business decision on the part of management. Cost the company 100 million to save $26.4 million?

Or maybe their sob story about how much the company lost wasn’t the truth. Liars or just plain stupid, your guess is as good as mine, but neither paints a good picture of management.

Management in this case has no direct financial interest. They don't own shares or options. Pin the loss on the Union, nothing out of their pocket and they don't look bad. The government stood to lose the money, so that was more pressure to introduce the legislation. Win win for management. Next year with the lower wage Canada Post can make even a larger profit than last, so it is pat yourself on the back and bonus time for management.

Cluster-fudge all the way around, I agree.

In the end it is a win for management, draw for government (since it seems workers don't even support workers), loss for postal workers, and a loss, any way you look at it, for us. It doesn't put a smile on my face.

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    British Columbia
    No I don't think losing millions of dollars per day is, or it didn't seem to be much pressure. Rotating strikes were costing them, but locking everything down had to be costing them more.

It’s even more silly if you do the math. The union wanted 1% more than was offered, so let’s take a worker who makes $25/hour. That is a 25 cent/hour raise, works out to $550. 48,000 workers X $550 = $26.4 million. If the strike was costing as claimed hundreds of millions that was a rather poor business decision on the part of management. Cost the company 100 million to save $26.4 million?

Or maybe their sob story about how much the company lost wasn’t the truth. Liars or just plain stupid, your guess is as good as mine, but neither paints a good picture of management.

Management in this case has no direct financial interest. They don't own shares or options. Pin the loss on the Union, nothing out of their pocket and they don't look bad. The government stood to lose the money, so that was more pressure to introduce the legislation. Win win for management. Next year with the lower wage Canada Post can make even a larger profit than last, so it is pat yourself on the back and bonus time for management.

Cluster-fudge all the way around, I agree.

In the end it is a win for management, draw for government (since it seems workers don't even support workers), loss for postal workers, and a loss, any way you look at it, for us. It doesn't put a smile on my face.

The "losing money" math was completely manipulated. It's like when the police find a pound of stuff and state it's worth over $9000 dollars. Yeah if you're a really creative accountant who can sell ice to an eskimo

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread