Can't believe it, I think cigarettes are the WORST thing ever now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
My grandson vaped for a couple of years, while he was living with us. Then a year ago he joined the Marines. He said that during basic training no nicotine at all was allowed, but when they went to combat training vaping wasn't allowed but chewing tobacco was very widely used.

They weren't allowed to spit on the ground and they were told not to swallow it, they had to carry small plastic drink bottles to spit into. He stayed with us for a few weeks recently before his first deployment and he had the bottle at hand all the time. It seemed gross to me. Apparently once they are deployed they are allowed to vape but chew is still more popular.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
The Camel SNUS product is intended to be swallowed, though.

Yeah I was told THE SAME THING about Skoal brand SNUS pouches AND the Commit Lozenges (not even made with tobacco), yet BOTH had the same effect as I described. Do what you want, don't say I didn't tell you when/if it happens though.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Tobacco is tobacco, which is just a plant, but with oral tobacco, there's no combustion, and no smoke. Combustion is what creates most of the problematic compounds.
I'm not picking a fight here. Just adding my :2c:.

I spent over 30 years working in surgery. Oral cancer is a terrible and physically deforming condition. I assisted on way too many radical total neck surgeries for oral cancers than I care to remember. All of those patients had a history of chewing tobacco.

If you're a fan of the NFL, you'll probably remember two hall of fame quarterbacks that developed oral cancer. Both chewed tobacco.
From one 12 to another: On beating cancer twice

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It's Funny sometimes how Risk(s) are assessed.

Some will look at the Absolute Worst Case Scenario, such as getting Cancer, and then make a Determination based on the likelihood of that Worst Case occurring. And if the possibility is Low Enough, then everything is Hunky Dory.

But they Don't consider sometimes things which are Lower than the Cancer Bar they have set.

If something has a relatively lower chance of Causing Cancer, or Enhancing/Promoting naturally occurring Cancer(s), but it can/does cause Many other Very Serious Problems, shouldn't those Other Problems be considered also?

Being Cancer Free is Great. But Walking around with only Half of your Teeth seems like something one would want to Avoid.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I've developed sensitivity to a number of flavorings and if it got worse I would move to unflavored. If vaping itself gave me problems I'd switch to puffing, not inhaling, to get my nic fix. If that didn't work I would resort to snus. I don't see that happening but at least there are some alternatives to the gum/lozenge/patch/zyban/chantix crap that didn't work for me.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, @nicotineisbomb , I'm glad you've found something that is working for you. I'm not going to go on about oral cancer and whatnot you are an adult and I'm sure you understand the risks.

I would say, if Camel is working for you, your next step might be to try Swedish Snus. It seems to work equally well as far as curbing cigarette cravings, with far less risk, so if you can afford to try it, I would encourage you to at least give it a shot. You may find it equally helpful and a small hike in price may well be worth avoiding certain risks.

But mostly, I'm glad you've found an alternative that works for you, and that's fantastic. I can't truly assess your overall risk, but I would say, if you've found a product that works, the next step would be to move to the one with the least risk.

Best of luck, as always, and I hope it continues to work well for you. I might add, you may not find nausea now, and that's great, but swallowing does add that risk over time that eventually, your stomach may not handle it quite as well as it did. And, sometimes the "swallowing" habit can be hard to break, so really, I'd encourage you to not get in that habit, if you can avoid it. Of course, whatever you decide to do is up to you.

Let us know how things go, I'm glad you are finding something to help you stop smoking, and the next step is to get it as risk free as you can. You are young. If you want to dip, Swedish snus is the CORRECT choice to avoid oral cancer if you become a long term, permanent dipper and etc.

Good luck,

Anna

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    First let me say that I'm not a fan of Camel simply because it is too sweet. Swedish snus is my preference. Swedish snus is treated like a food product as far as the standards it has to meet in that country. It is pasteurized and is much safer than smoking. There has been much research done on it. Here's one article that I have read before.

Swedish Match - Cancer

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    If you do that regularly after several months you have a high chance of getting severe abdominal cramps and .........

Now of all the insane comments I've read on this thread and there are many, this is the funniest.

Let's see, I started using snus in mid Feb 2010. Since that time, I've basically been 24x7x365 with justv an occasional few moments that I don't have a portion under my lip. Yes, to answer what might be a question, I sleep with a portion in. I like the dream state that occurs. When will these abdominal cramp and ........ start?

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009

Some will look at the Absolute Worst Case Scenario, such as getting Cancer, and then make a Determination based on the likelihood of that Worst Case occurring. And if the possibility is Low Enough, then everything is Hunky Dory.

But they Don't consider sometimes things which are Lower than the Cancer Bar they have set.

If something has a relatively lower chance of Causing Cancer, or Enhancing/Promoting naturally occurring Cancer(s), but it can/does cause Many other Very Serious Problems, shouldn't those Other Problems be considered also?

Being Cancer Free is Great. But Walking around with only Half of your Teeth seems like something one would want to Avoid.

I've been using snus for nine years and haven't lost any teeth. I brush and floss regularly like everyone should and go for regular cleanings. My hygienist told me how healthy my gums looked on my last visit for a cleaning. If someone doesn't have good hygiene then that's not because of snus. It's a personal choice.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa

After 43 years of smoking, my gums were a mess and I have periodontal issues. However, since moving on to snus my dentist is overjoyed with the change in my dental health. However, when you consider nearly half the US population has issues and 70% of people over 65, it's pretty ridiculous to establish a causation case based on using snus.

CDC: Half of American Adults Have Periodontal Disease | Perio.org

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I've been using snus for nine years and haven't lost any teeth. I brush and floss regularly like everyone should and go for regular cleanings. My hygienist told me how healthy my gums looked on my last visit for a cleaning. If someone doesn't have good hygiene then that's not because of snus. It's a personal choice.

After 43 years of smoking, my gums were a mess and I have periodontal issues. However, since moving on to snus my dentist is overjoyed with the change in my dental health. However, when you consider nearly half the US population has issues and 70% of people over 65, it's pretty ridiculous to establish a causation case based on using snus.

CDC: Half of American Adults Have Periodontal Disease | Perio.org

I really Can't think of Anything a person can do where you can't Find some who say that they have had No Problems. And some who say that they have had Horrible Problems. And about Everything in between.

It's kinda the Difference of looking at things on the Individual Level, verses the Population Level.

If someone wants to put Tobacco in their Mouth and suck on it, I say Go For It. It's their choice.

• Agree

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    In a way, that's true with vaping also. The reason I started using snus was that no matter how strong of a nic liquid I used, I still didn't feel satisfied. Nic sick, yes, satisfied, no. Some people are able to make the switch to vaping from smoking with no problems where others like me it didn't work for by itself. I still felt myself missing something and discovered that it was the minor alkaloids in tobacco that aren't in regular nic liquid. That's why some people use WTA liquid and some people use snus to supplement their vaping or vice versa. WTA wasn't available when I first came onboard with ecigs in 2009.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    In a way, that's true with vaping also. The reason I started using snus was that no matter how strong of a nic liquid I used, I still didn't feel satisfied. Nic sick, yes, satisfied, no. Some people are able to make the switch to vaping from smoking with no problems where others like me it didn't work for by itself. I still felt myself missing something and discovered that it was the minor alkaloids in tobacco that aren't in regular nic liquid. That's why some people use WTA liquid and some people use snus to supplement their vaping or vice versa. WTA wasn't available when I first came onboard with ecigs in 2009.

Yep..

I wasn't one of those People who took 3 Hits off an e-Cigarette and Never Smoked again. In fact, it was a Struggle to get off cigarettes.

Todays hardware I'm sure would have made it Easier. But for me, and many like Me, there just Isn't a Magic Bullet.

And that is Why I Don't Like seeing the OP start Thread after Thread after Thread looking for Validation of starting what I'm sure will be a Hard to Break Addiction.

But the OP Doesn't seem to want to Try to Quit Smoking unless He exchanges it with something else. So I guess the Lesser of 2 Evils applies.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Yep..

I wasn't one of those People who took 3 Hits off an e-Cigarette and Never Smoked again. In fact, it was a Struggle to get off cigarettes.

Todays hardware I'm sure would have made it Easier. But for me, and many like Me, there just Isn't a Magic Bullet.

And that is Why I Don't Like seeing the OP start Thread after Thread after Thread looking for Validation of starting what I'm sure will be a Hard to Break Addiction.

But the OP Doesn't seem to want to Try to Quit Smoking unless He exchanges it with something else. So I guess the Lesser of 2 Evils applies.

So you've given up vaping or just switched to what you believe is a safer alternative?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    So you've given up vaping or just switched to what you believe is a safer alternative?

Column "B".

But the Difference is I know that I tried EVERY possible way to Quit Smoking, repeatedly.

And If I had been Able to Quit by some other Means, I would Never have picked up an e-Cigarette.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Now of all the insane comments I've read on this thread and there are many, this is the funniest.

Let's see, I started using snus in mid Feb 2010. Since that time, I've basically been 24x7x365 with justv an occasional few moments that I don't have a portion under my lip. Yes, to answer what might be a question, I sleep with a portion in. I like the dream state that occurs. When will these abdominal cramp and ........ start?

Are you using a Sweedish or an American brand of Snus?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread