Can't believe it, I think cigarettes are the WORST thing ever now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    zoidman, I struggled for a long time too. I started with two 510 cigalike kits which was about all that was available back then. I moved from that to making my own box mods, to buying the early mods like the screwdriver and prodigy. Even with the prodigy running two batteries and 36mg liquid, I still wasn't satisfied. I put out a call for help and found out about Swedish snus. Back then there wasn't any American snus. My first reaction was that I didn't want to put tobacco in my mouth. I did a lot of reading about research on snus and found that most snus comes in small pouches called portions. I just can't do loose tobacco. I had felt myself sinking into depression and the first time I tried snus it was like someone turned on a light in a dark room. My stand on snus and WTA liquid is that if you can get off the cigarettes without it then do it. I would never recommend it to someone that doesn't need extra help. There are many misconceptions about Swedish snus and most people lump it into the same category as all smokeless tobacco.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    zoidman, I struggled for a long time too. I started with two 510 cigalike kits which was about all that was available back then. I moved from that to making my own box mods, to buying the early mods like the screwdriver and prodigy. Even with the prodigy running two batteries and 36mg liquid, I still wasn't satisfied. I put out a call for help and found out about Swedish snus. Back then there wasn't any American snus. My first reaction was that I didn't want to put tobacco in my mouth. I did a lot of reading about research on snus and found that most snus comes in small pouches called portions. I just can't do loose tobacco. I had felt myself sinking into depression and the first time I tried snus it was like someone turned on a light in a dark room. My stand on snus and WTA liquid is that if you can get off the cigarettes without it then do it. I would never recommend it to someone that doesn't need extra help. There are many misconceptions about Swedish snus and most people lump it into the same category as all smokeless tobacco.

It sounds like You and I traveled very Parallel roads in our journey to become Smoke Free. And I also needed to go to 36mg/mg to get over the Hump.

I'll be Honest. I was about at the End of the Line when it came to Quitting Smoking. Because I had Smoked for So Long. And I would Joke with people and say that "Quitting Smoking is Easy. Hell, I've done it at least a Dozens Times." Then I would light another Cigarette.

It's just Really Hard to tell some people when they are 19 just how :censored: Up life can be when you have a Monkey on your back that you Can't get rid off. And choices that are made Early On can have a way of haunting you later on.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Column "B".

But the Difference is I know that I tried EVERY possible way to Quit Smoking, repeatedly.

And If I had been Able to Quit by some other Means, I would Never have picked up an e-Cigarette.

So basically. as you said about snus, you chose the "Lesser of 2 Evils".

Reactions: stols001

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Are you using a Sweedish or an American brand of Snus?

Like Hitt, I basically started on Swedish snus. However, I started a few months after him, at the time Camel was coming out with their brand. I couldn't find snus anywhere so I ordered from Sweden. Right after I ordered, a local convenience store got Camel in so I bought a can. Also like Hitt, after the first portion, I found what I needed to stop smoking and never lit one up since. I didn't finish the Camel before my order arrived so the only times I've bought it since were if I forgot my travel can or if I wanted a sweet snus occasionally. I did buy a couple cans of the new Skoal snus to try and it's a lot like Camel.

I still order from Sweden for the most part; however, there are a few convenience stores in the area that now carry Swedish so I'll pick up a can or two of that locally, usually for the reason I pick up Camel, forgetting my travel can.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Like Hitt, I basically started on Swedish snus. However, I started a few months after him, at the time Camel was coming out with their brand. I couldn't find snus anywhere so I ordered from Sweden. Right after I ordered, a local convenience store got Camel in so I bought a can. Also like Hitt, after the first portion, I found what I needed to stop smoking and never lit one up since. I didn't finish the Camel before my order arrived so the only times I've bought it since were if I forgot my travel can or if I wanted a sweet snus occasionally. I did buy a couple cans of the new Skoal snus to try and it's a lot like Camel.

I still order from Sweden for the most part; however, there are a few convenience stores in the area that now carry Swedish so I'll pick up a can or two of that locally, usually for the reason I pick up Camel, forgetting my travel can.

Exactly. NIB and I were talking about long term use of American brands, NOT Swedish brands which are prepared completely different. Go get you some Camel or Skoal brand Snus pouches, use those 24x7 for about about 6 months, and get back to me on your stomach condition. :)

I will also add that they may not affect everyone the same. Both the Skoal Snus and the Commit Lozenges had that effect on me, and from searching the net, many others as well. I have never tried the Swedish stuff, so I cannot speak to it's effects, apparently they are much easier on the stomach.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Exactly. NIB and I were talking about long term use of American brands, NOT Swedish brands which are prepared completely different. Go get you some Camel or Skoal brand Snus pouches, use those 24x7 for about about 6 months, and get back to me on your stomach condition. :)

I will also add that they may not affect everyone the same. Both the Skoal Snus and the Commit Lozenges had that effect on me, and from searching the net, many others as well. I have never tried the Swedish stuff, so I cannot speak to it's effects, apparently they are much easier on the stomach.

My assumption would be that the sweetness they add would be the cause. I know for sure I couldn't use either of the US made as a permanent solution.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Sounds like you Believe in Choice.

That is, as long as people Choose what You like.

You're the one coming into the smokeless section selling vaping as the only "safe" choice. You are clueless about what you are talking about so go away. You have no knowledge, just opinion. Vaping fanboys are seriously funny. Have a nice evening.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
    Sep 8, 2017
    San Diego, California
    Use snus all day for 2+ years (seriously, I only didn’t have one in while sleeping or eating), and tell me how your gums feel.

It’s bad. This coming from a dipper of 18 or so years, it was on par in terms of harshness.

Used general wintergreen, and mint/white/original when they were all out. Tried the camel/skoal, that stuff is NASTY to me.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    You're the one coming into the smokeless section selling vaping as the only "safe" choice. You are clueless about what you are talking about so go away. You have no knowledge, just opinion. Vaping fanboys are seriously funny. Have a nice evening.

I Never said Vaping was the only "safe" choice. Maybe you have a Reading Comprehension problem?

I said that it Wouldn't be My choice. Because I tried it. And I Didn't Like it.

If the OP wants to use Snus, I say go for it. Or if he wants to Smoke, he can Smoke. Or if he wants to try Vaping again, that's fine Also.

He's an Adult. He can do what He Wants.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    My assumption would be that the sweetness they add would be the cause. I know for sure I couldn't use either of the US made as a permanent solution.

Yeah I am not sure what ingredient caused it, but it did take a while for the issue to occur. Months of daily use, and happened both with the American Snus and the Lozenges. So I try to tell people of my experiences so that if they start getting symptoms, they then know the cause. If they don't then they can keep using it.

I am telling you though, I have had stomach viruses and food poisoning and those cramps/pains were nothing compared to what these products did. Several times I half expected an alien baby to come bursting out any minute.

alien1979.jpg

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Myself, if Snus or Smoking were the Only 2 Options, I would probably Smoke.
    I think I would have felt that way too, before I quit smoking via vaping 4-1/2 years ago. But now, I really don't want to go back to smoking, so if smoking or snus were the only choice, I'd certainly give snus a try.

classwife

Admin
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 9, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, Florida

Forum Rules

8. Courtesy
    a. Members must be polite at all times. When addressing another Forum user, you will be polite. Courteous discussion is welcome here but heated and abusive argument is not. If attacked you are not allowed to respond in kind.
    9. Personal attacks
    You can disagree with the subject matter of a post, but never personally attack the poster - “Attack the post, not the poster”. Treat people as you would like to be treated yourself: with courtesy.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Yeah I am not sure what ingredient caused it, but it did take a while for the issue to occur. Months of daily use, and happened both with the American Snus and the Lozenges. So I try to tell people of my experiences so that if they start getting symptoms, they then know the cause. If they don't then they can keep using it.

I am telling you though, I have had stomach viruses and food poisoning and those cramps/pains were nothing compared to what these products did. Several times I half expected an alien baby to come bursting out any minute.

alien1979.jpg

I'm just curious, were those just regular nicotine lozenges or something else that you mentioned. I used to use stonewalls once in a while but they never gave me symptoms like that. I haven't tried the regular over the counter nicotine lozenges.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I'm just curious, were those just regular nicotine lozenges or something else that you mentioned. I used to use stonewalls once in a while but they never gave me symptoms like that. I haven't tried the regular over the counter nicotine lozenges.

It was specifically these:

5818_5868_2.jpg

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    OH slight correction on my earlier posts, it was NOT Skoal Snus that I used (I did use Long Cut Wintergreen Skoal for a long time with no issue, but I was spitting), it was Marlboro Snus that I used that gave me the problem. Along with the above pictured Commit Lozenges.

Not sure if flavor matteres but I used the Cherry flavored lozenges and the mint Snus pictured below.

Cans.JPG

• Useful
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread