Status
Not open for further replies.

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
Actually I have two questions. I was told that 17650 batteries would fit in my
Prodigy V2 for 3.7volts but I was also told they had to be unprotected.

Then while searching for them I couldn't find any U.S. sites selling them, also I came across a flashlight forum that said the protected ones were only 67 mm compared to the unprotected which were 65mm long (oh and they said there were the same diameter). So now I'm confused because if the protected ones are only a tiny bit longer I think that they would fit and that's what I would get(If I could find them). I think that if they were 67mm they would fit because that's about the length of two CR2a 3.0volt batteries that the V2 uses.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

chev327fox

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Actually I have two questions. I was told that 17650 batteries would fit in my
Prodigy V2 for 3.7volts but I was also told they had to be unprotected.

Then while searching for them I couldn't find any U.S. sites selling them, also I came across a flashlight forum that said the protected ones were only 67 mm compared to the unprotected which were 65mm long (oh and they said there were the same diameter). So now I'm confused because if the protected ones are only a tiny bit longer I think that they would fit and that's what I would get(If I could find them). I think that if they were 67mm they would fit because that's about the length of two CR2a 3.0volt batteries that the V2 uses.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

chev327fox

INTERNAL: experts with more hands on V2 electronics experience should jump in.

It seems there is more to this than just battery length. The protected 17650s, which are 17670s, cannot handle the voltage drop of the V2, due to the protection circuitry. I got this info here:

Prodigy V1 & V2 Voltage Drop Explained

So unless this has been solved, it seems that you do need unprotected 17650s. I would always, however, speak with the vendor or their techy to see if this is still true. Generally if a vendor is selling a PV that requires particular batteries, they also sell those, although generally for a higher price than buying direct. I could not tell if this was a problem with using regular or low-resistance attys. If it is for LRs only, then you might be ok.

Here are some places that sell the 17650 and 17670:

China Lithium Ion Batteries/Pack 17650,18500, manufacturer , factory ,supplier - 822

Lithium Ion 17650 - 17670 rechargeable protected battery 3.6V - e-lectronics.net :

IMR17650 battery IMR17650 IMR17650 battery CN;HEN products

I found these by putting "17650 battery" into Google. You may have to order from China, which can take a couple weeks to be delivered, and you may have to just get some 17670s and just try them. It seems that some sites do not differentiate the two and just assume you want protected. But again, contact PS and see what they say, and what they have available.

Good luck, and I hope you have a working true 3.7V PV soon! I looks to be a winner.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Everything Kurt said ... plus this non-technical comment:

The Prodigy is intended as a 5V device (two 3.0V batteries + a resistor). Puresmoker's Protege (and a great many other mods) are intended for 3.7V.

I used to own the Prodigy V1 (which was wonderful), but I found 5V to be too intense for me, so I sold it here on ECF and have been trying out 3.7V mods since.

If you are a modder, try finagling with all those batteries. Otherwise, consider following my lead (or enjoy 5V).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread