Cant vape in the house.....aruggggggggggggggg

Status
Not open for further replies.

amp79423

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2013
Lubbock, TX, USA
Not to take the thread down a notch and bring up vooping, but...I had the same problem as you, confined the vaping to the man cave and she still complained. Started vaping in the bathroom, she never knew. I'm going to come clean before too long and let her know it's all in her head, but until then, I've been having horrible digestive issues but I always come out in a better mood!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hypatia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Titletown, USA
balderdash !

kitchen cooking : boiling hot dogs

chilies' , stews, soups

and any pasta noodles vapor, is far more nasty than ecig vapor

you better call her on it, and put her in her place

stealth vape around the house (telling her you stopped)
then spring it on her you never stopped (expose her)

no love lost from me on this topic :mad:

:evil:

:2c:

Agreed. And how 'bout fish night? Blech, I detest fish, but my family loves it, so I must suffer with nasty dead fish smell for DAYS. Don't get me started on hot dogs. Maybe I should cough and gag and throw a fit when my kids and husband eat hot dogs and fish sticks. Yeah, that'll show 'em how "right" I am. Don't you know what's IN those Things? That stuff is terrible for you ;)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I agree with what everyone is saying. I think your wife is misinformed sadly. If my hubby made me vape outside (hes a non smoker) it wouldn't end well.. I think if you are vaping in your man cave you should be allowed..
Uh.. It seems you are still accepting the premise that she has the authority to decide what he is and isn't "allowed" to do. Where exactly did she get that authority? Last time I looked, wedding vows only forbid a very narrow range of behavior, and a promise to "obey" has generally been dropped from them. ;)

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
Ohh...this certainly is a frustration!

As much as a few comments on this thread are making my inner feminist go into rage mode (someone said to "put her in her place" and "Man up") I must agree with the general overall consensus of attempting to have a factual and reasonable discussion with her.

One thing about spouses....especially those who are stubborn and strong willed (either men or women) is that we often find it easy to resent the weaknesses in our partners. We expect the other person to be there for us always and always be strong. Sometimes, enjoying our vices can be a touchy thing when the other person in the relationship doesn't also partake in such a vice, whether it's smoking cigs or vaping.

Education may or may not help. But I hope the two of you can find a compromise, a middle ground of sorts.

As the wife of a husband who is an avid cigar smoker, I do prefer he NOT smoke cigars in our home, even when I used to smoke cigs in the house. Reason being (and he actually agreed with me), is that cigar smoke was so much heavier than cigs...and you could literally smell the smoke for DAYS after one was lit up. However, we compromised that he can light up at the kitchen table with our friends on poker nights or if we are entertaining other smoking guests. We just crack the sliding door and turn on the ceiling fans.

A side note...a bit unrelated-Although I quit analogs, I am not anti tobacco and have no problem with his cigar hobby. In fact, with vaping, I now understand how cigars are a hobby for him. He wants to collect them, fill his humidors, try new releases...he is even writing reviews. Kind of like what I do now with juices and PV's. :)

Hypatia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Titletown, USA
Uh.. It seems you are still accepting the premise that she has the authority to decide what he is and isn't "allowed" to do. Where exactly did she get that authority? Last time I looked, wedding vows only forbid a very narrow range of behavior, and a promise to "obey" has generally been dropped from them. ;)

And, um the "obey" vows are only for the wife, which I proudly and humbly vowed to my dear husband. But his end of the bargain is to "love and honor." As long as he does that, I will obey. Two-way street.

But this illogical argument of the OP's has little to do with vows. Of course, we are not there to see what's going on, but it appears a bit disingenuous to claim vaping in the "man cave" is causing the "whole" house to stink to the point of wife gagging. Suffering under false pretenses do not fall under the pretext of the marital vows. :2c:

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
Vaping anything near my wife with high PG irritates her and she will start coughing. Vaping high VG near my wife leads to interesting conversations about whatever flavor it is smells like to her.
My wife supports my vaping 100% I support her not being irritated 100%. I vape high VG on the couch with her and what ever I want in my computer room.

I do not need to force my preferences on another human being as a means of validation, I am who I am and am comfortable with that. Breathing air is a given, breathing anything else should be a choice.

My two cents.

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
299463-r-lee-ermey.jpg

Dear mrs dr210910,
Your husband called while you were away, and he'd like his balls back !
or said another way, In my best Hank Hill voice, "Damnit Bobby you'll go blind if you keep that up"

Sometimes people just have to put their foot down, or get a little ...... off and get a little loud in order to establish a bit of mutual respect in the relationship. Or said another way, a marriage does not survive very well or long if both parties cant feel free to argue some along the way. I've been married quite happily for over 33 years and our marriage would have never survived if either of us had gotten away with trying to "change" or otherwise "control" the other one. Yeah, we've had many knock down drag out battles along the way, but we always come to a compromise or understanding on whatever the issue was. In other words... No single side of a marriage can make the rules, unless you like being "castrated" by an overbearing super ..... like my brothers wife bwahahah haaaaaaaaa. There always has to be some give and take or you'll end up like my milktoast brother who has no life of his own outside of constantly running thru the honeydo list so he doesnt get "in trouble" arrrgh poor guy.

My wife has been a nurse all her life, like from way back when IV's were glass bottles, and she's always been anti cigarettes. She did afterall, marry me when I was a smoker so she knew what she was getting into. We've raised four children, one of which happened unplanned a full ten years after the third one, who is still a minor living at home. I've never smoked with a baby or toddler nearby, but I was never so .... as to feel I needed to smoke outside because of slight second hand smoke in the air, although I didnt smoke as much at home as I would in my shop or out and about.

She'd ..... about the smell and even tried to tell me to smoke outside a few times heh heh. I'd laugh that off and tell her "No ef'ing way"! Yeah I'd smoke less while she was in the room, blow my smoke in another direction, crack a car window so the smoke got sucked out of the car etc. In later years she'd complain more and more about the smell of cigarettes and I'd give in some and light up and leave the room or put it out for an hour or so. But for years and years this went on, and I did concede that cigs do have an odor, and I'd do what I could to reduce my stink output in the house. I never really knew how bad they really smelled until I switched to vaping though. Now that I'm an ex smoker, I am amazed how bad they smell and understand why she complained so much and so often about it.

Now since I switched to vaping, she couldnt be happier about it and she has only complained once about an e juice odor and that was a pungent coconut smelling juice which I discontinued immediatly. Most juices really have very little or no odor that she or I can detect, other than a few like cinnamons or coconut mixes. Some on the other hand are pleasant scents that arent overpowering stinkage like some air freshener devices can be. But there are ZERO, juices that can leave an odor hanging around like an air freshener does, so there is really zero rational reason for your wife to force you outside to vape. My point being, if my wife finds any one ejuice I'm using to be an unpleasant odor, I'll just not use that juice anymore around her... but there is no ef'ing way I would ever consider being exiled out of the house to vape.

You really need to educate her about vaping, avoid juices that have any unpleasant odors (most dont), and for the sake of mankind "stand your ground"!

Don't cave on this issue. Make vaping accepted "everywhere in YOUR house", not just the man cave!
If your wife gets away with forcing you to only vape in the cave, then you'll soon find yourself shivvering outside.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
And, um the "obey" vows are only for the wife
Right. We can be almost certain that he did not promise to obey her. So again, where does she get the authority to tell him that he isn't "allowed" to vape (or even smoke) in the house?

which I proudly and humbly vowed to my dear husband. But his end of the bargain is to "love and honor." As long as he does that, I will obey. Two-way street.
My recollection is that the vows have always been symmetric except for "obey", which the wife promised to do in exchange for the husband's promise to "support". When my wife and I got married 28 years ago, we decided our vows were not going to be asymmetric at all; she did not promise to obey and I did not promise to support. We are equals in the relationship. Aside from violating marital fidelity, neither of us can tell the other that they're not "allowed" to do something. We can ask nicely, but there's on obligation.

My wife married me knowing I was a smoker. Her only request (and it was just a request) was that I not smoke in her immediate presence while she was eating. She certainly would never have dreamed of telling me that I can't smoke (or vape) in our house, because it's as much mine as it is hers. I think I'll keep her. :D

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
My wife didn't let me smoke the analogs in the house well she hate's the vaping just as much....please tell me I don't have to go outside to vape to....lol.....anyone else having same problems..She says it makes her feel like she is choking..Anyways anyone in the Atlanta area I went to Vape911 for the first time today, its on canton rd in Marietta...Got some good juice...

My girlfriend's mom hated the fact that I (and my whole family) smoked. She apparently could smell it on one of my girlfriend's coats that had spent the night at my house (I should clarify that she lives in Massachusetts, and I in Pennsylvania). She said she was allergic to it. I, personally, think it was in her head and it started to tick me off after a while. However, she loved the fact that I started vaping... and whenever I visit, I'm always allowed to vape in her house, right in front of her. She is a nurse, though, so I'm guessing that helps.

As for your wife, you need to talk to her about it. What you do is vape some unflavored, 0mg nicotine juice (just pure PG/VG) in the house and man cave, and if she says it's still affecting her, ask her why she doesn't fall down dead when she boils water for pasta, because the two vapors are kinda the same thing. Sometimes one of those "trick realizations" is the only way to get to some people.

Last edited:

DixieBelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2014
Tobaccoville, NC
It's threads like these that make me love and cherish my husband, and the relationship that we have, more and more.

Marriage is a fine institution, I have been institutionalized twice. :p

Now I am in a committed, loving, equal relationship with a wonderful man who has no desire to 'control' me.

MikenGA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
Georgia
I'm a bit surprised that every response above basically says something like 'stand your ground'. I never smoked in the house, and I was perfectly willing to vape outside, and DID for many months...until my partner asked me "Why are you still going outside? Wouldn't you like to vape inside?"

"Uhmmmmm...yeah."

So, I've been vaping INSIDE for almost two years. The only negative thus far is we both wake up with DRY EYES, and it's because of vaping too much in the house. He says he can live with it, but it makes me feel a bit guilty. I still vape inside, but sometimes I also go outside like I used to when smoking.

In MY mind, relationships are more about 'consideration' than 'imposition'. Some flavors ARE too pungent for average mortals, and some vape gear is simply 'too good' to use in the house around non-vapers. :2c:

I wish the very best to all y'all. ;)

Donovan69

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
You need to educate that spoiled lil' southern belle!! You can't "gag" on vapor!!!!!

Oh but you are quite wrong. I have been vaping for over a year now. I blow my vapor out the open back door. I sub ohm vape and produce more vapor than an ego battery. My wife has had a previous case of walking phnuemonia. Vapor chokes her right out. Don't know if it's the pg or the flavourings. She says it makes her eyes burn. Listen I called bull.... for awhile. So I would vape while she was out thinking she wouldn't know. Or I also have vaped out in the dining room while she's back in the bedroom. On both occasions she has started coughing profusely. I have witnessed the vapor choking her out. I used to be a selfish, self righteous vapor. "It's my right to vape anywhere" bull....!
I need to be mindful where I vape. I blast such huge clouds it jams smokers ..... I don't wish to be the guy who screws it up for other vapers. Of all the people who'd have to be screwed up by vaping it would have to be my wife. It has made me more considerate of others when I vape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
Vaping anything near my wife with high PG irritates her and she will start coughing. Vaping high VG near my wife leads to interesting conversations about whatever flavor it is smells like to her.
My wife supports my vaping 100% I support her not being irritated 100%. I vape high VG on the couch with her and what ever I want in my computer room.

I do not need to force my preferences on another human being as a means of validation, I am who I am and am comfortable with that. Breathing air is a given, breathing anything else should be a choice.

My two cents.

Sounds to me like you came up with a workable solution to her sensitivity to PG. More power to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread