Capella versus TFA Flavors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
This was the second time since I DIY that I am ordering flavor concentrates. I first used DX flavors from TFA to avoid Acetoin and recently learned that Capella's V2 flavors are also a good option in that regard. This time, I also ordered flavor concentrates from Capella but noticed that, in general, the same flavors are about twice more expensive than TFA. I seem to remember reading excellent reviews about Cappella's flavors so I am wondering if the price differences relates to differences in flavor quality between this two providers. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
I like Capella's flavors, and I have a lot of them, but now that I'm more into DIY, I'm using more of them. They only come in two sizes - 13ml (too small) and 4 oz (too expensive to buy a bunch at once). So I'll be switching to TFA flavors and hope they're as good. Maybe they'll be better.

I've heard it said that Capella's flavors can be used successfully as single, stand-alone flavors, and seems to be true for me, for the ones I've done it with (but then, who's to say that TFA or another company's flavors aren't just as good?). I always end up mixing two or more "single flavor juices" in my tank anyway, so I'm jumping the Capella ship to go with TFA and Flavour Art. If I'm going to mix them anyway, I don't need a good "stand-alone" flavor. You might want that, though, and in that case, maybe Capella's would be a good choice for you, for those flavors that you want to mix as singles, anyway. My motto has always been, "Buy the best you can afford." That seems to work, most of the time. ;)

~Lannie

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
Just a heads up @Lannie you can get 1oz/30ml amounts of Cap here >>> Capella Flavor Drops (I suggest to anyone trying out new flavorings to get the smallest size possible just in case you can not stand them.) :thumbs:

(Smacks self in forehead... :facepalm: ) I didn't even THINK of Wizard Labs, thank you! That helps me a lot, because now I can reorder some of these and not have to get the full 4 oz bottle, or risk trying a different manufacturer. Of course, some of them I need to get in 4 oz, like the vanilla cupcake, which I've discovered I cannot live without! LOL!

~Lannie (yes, I'm a cupcake girl!)

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
I like Capella's flavors, and I have a lot of them, but now that I'm more into DIY, I'm using more of them. They only come in two sizes - 13ml (too small) and 4 oz (too expensive to buy a bunch at once). So I'll be switching to TFA flavors and hope they're as good. Maybe they'll be better.

I've heard it said that Capella's flavors can be used successfully as single, stand-alone flavors, and seems to be true for me, for the ones I've done it with (but then, who's to say that TFA or another company's flavors aren't just as good?). I always end up mixing two or more "single flavor juices" in my tank anyway, so I'm jumping the Capella ship to go with TFA and Flavour Art. If I'm going to mix them anyway, I don't need a good "stand-alone" flavor. You might want that, though, and in that case, maybe Capella's would be a good choice for you, for those flavors that you want to mix as singles, anyway. My motto has always been, "Buy the best you can afford." That seems to work, most of the time. ;)

~Lannie

Thank you for your response. I seem to be in line with your motto! The concentrates are relatively cheap, but they add up pretty fast... I ordered from Wizard Labs a concentrate from Capella for single flavoring and I've been using TFA's concentrates in combinations. I ordered the largest volume for the 8% dilutions that I like so they will last for a while. I won't be able to compare the same flavors from these two providers though so I will learn along the road if there is any taste quality differences.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
(Smacks self in forehead... :facepalm: ) I didn't even THINK of Wizard Labs, thank you! That helps me a lot, because now I can reorder some of these and not have to get the full 4 oz bottle, or risk trying a different manufacturer. Of course, some of them I need to get in 4 oz, like the vanilla cupcake, which I've discovered I cannot live without! LOL!

~Lannie (yes, I'm a cupcake girl!)
Like me and the CAP VC1.
I got what look to be 1/2 pint or so condiment bottles at wally world. Once I figure out how much one holds I will mix one full of Vanilla Custard :)
Another will get filled with 50/50.

Might do 2 of VC ?

Reactions: Dixie1954

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
For me comparing CAP to TFA, CAP winds hands down. Too many of the TFA flavorings I can't handle, just too much chemical taste or I get a bad reaction in my mouth.
First stage bad reaction is tingly lips, shows up fast. If I ignore that it messes my mouth all up feels puffy and my taste buds go dead for days.
Not that problem with the CAP flavors I have tried so far. I can vape CAP VC continuously and never get flavor fatigue. Or any other bad symptoms.
Well maybe the sweet strawberry, have to visit that one again. to be sure before I give up on it. Might have been the TFA Ripe Strawberry, I have some of that too and I forget which one it was.

Reactions: Nimaz

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
For me comparing CAP to TFA, CAP winds hands down. Too many of the TFA flavorings I can't handle, just too much chemical taste or I get a bad reaction in my mouth.
First stage bad reaction is tingly lips, shows up fast. If I ignore that it messes my mouth all up feels puffy and my taste buds go dead for days.
Not that problem with the CAP flavors I have tried so far. I can vape CAP VC continuously and never get flavor fatigue. Or any other bad symptoms.
Well maybe the sweet strawberry, have to visit that one again. to be sure before I give up on it. Might have been the TFA Ripe Strawberry, I have some of that too and I forget which one it was.

I'll keep your impression in mind! This chemical taste that you experience with some of TFAs is very significant to me. I will probably order from Capella the same flavors that I already have from TFA for comparison. Also, Capella has a broader choice in V2 (Acetoin and Acetyl Propionyl free), Diacetyl free flavors. From my reading it seems that Capella's quality is a must (Flavor Drops FAQ | Capella Flavor Drops). If I dig further, I may find the list of chemical ingredients, at least for some flavors.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
To me the bright spot for Cap is their bakeries, French vanilla, and creams. They have some I haven't liked or perhaps didn't mix right.

What I like about tfa is that many of their flavors play well with others. Vanilla swirl is a must have in 4oz for me.

FA's strength to me is their consistent low percentages.

Same is true of inawera consistently good at 5%.

Hangsen tobaccos are pretty awesome.

FW yellow cake and candy cane excellent.

All the manufacturers have their strengths. Each also has some duds. And everyone's opinion on them doesn't mean I will like them. Just have to experiment.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I use a combination of TFA , FA and Capella's .

I always buy the flavors that are diketone free myself. FA flavorings are very highly regarded and after trying some i could see why . A big plus for me is that they are exceptional at avoiding the diketones in their flavorings and most are free of it .

They recently released information on that and the overwhelming majority are clean. Capella's V2 i buy a lot of also .

If i am ordering from a vendor i appreciate the ones that have a "caution " box around the flavors that are known to have diketones.

Makes choosing a lot easier.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
I use both and some are better then others from both suppliers. I have no strange reactions or unusual taste with my TFA flavors but Roberts experience is something to note.

You can also get most flavors here and they come in some nice glass bottles. Liquid Food Flavoring & Flavor Concentrate by Flavor Apprentice | E-Liquid Flavoring

Oh, RTS has the flavors, but they want almost double the price for them. For the exact same flavoring, I'll choose the less expensive ones. ;)

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Oh, RTS has the flavors, but they want almost double the price for them. For the exact same flavoring, I'll choose the less expensive ones. ;)
I usually go ecxigexpress or bullcityvapor and sometimes wizardlabs.
Not wild about repackaged flavors but sometimes I just want 30 ml of a flavor instead of 13ml or 4 oz.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
I usually go ecxigexpress or bullcityvapor and sometimes wizardlabs.
Not wild about repackaged flavors but sometimes I just want 30 ml of a flavor instead of 13ml or 4 oz.

Exactly. That's where I'm at right now. So I'm checking out WL, although I love Bull City and I've always gotten such good service from them. They only sell the two standard sizes of Capella's stuff, though. I'm kind of torn, actually. I like the Capella's flavors, but I don't like the idea that they hook you on the tiny bottle, and then make you buy a 4 oz. bottle, offering nothing in between. Good way to make money, I guess, but it irks me, and I'm tempted to continue to shop at BCV but get a different brand. On the other hand, I know I like the Capella flavors. I really want to cut off my nose to spite my face ;) but I suppose I need my nose, so I should probably go get my stuff at WL and stick with the flavors I know are good, in "medium" sizes so I can afford to restock ALL of the ones I need, instead of just a few. What a quandary! :unsure:

~Lannie

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Exactly. That's where I'm at right now. So I'm checking out WL, although I love Bull City and I've always gotten such good service from them. They only sell the two standard sizes of Capella's stuff, though. I'm kind of torn, actually. I like the Capella's flavors, but I don't like the idea that they hook you on the tiny bottle, and then make you buy a 4 oz. bottle, offering nothing in between. Good way to make money, I guess, but it irks me, and I'm tempted to continue to shop at BCV but get a different brand. On the other hand, I know I like the Capella flavors. I really want to cut off my nose to spite my face ;) but I suppose I need my nose, so I should probably go get my stuff at WL and stick with the flavors I know are good, in "medium" sizes so I can afford to restock ALL of the ones I need, instead of just a few. What a quandary! :unsure:

~Lannie
I dunno but that may be the 2 smallest sizes you can get in original packaging. The 30 ml at WL is repackaged.

Reactions: Lannie

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
I dunno but that may be the 2 smallest sizes you can get in original packaging. The 30 ml at WL is repackaged.

I know, but I don't care. :) I can't afford to buy all the flavors I need to restock in the 4 oz. size. A few of them I'll get in that bigger bottle because I use them a LOT, but not all of them. Some I just use in small amounts in mixes with other main flavors, and I don't need those in the 4 oz. size. If I had plenty of money, I'd get them anyway, because they're a better value in that size, but I don't. I have to shop judiciously. ;)

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I know, but I don't care. :) I can't afford to buy all the flavors I need to restock in the 4 oz. size. A few of them I'll get in that bigger bottle because I use them a LOT, but not all of them. Some I just use in small amounts in mixes with other main flavors, and I don't need those in the 4 oz. size. If I had plenty of money, I'd get them anyway, because they're a better value in that size, but I don't. I have to shop judiciously. ;)
Yep the same here the repackaged 30 ml size is why I sometimes WL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread