Status
Not open for further replies.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I've searched around on here and on google,and can't find the answer.I've been using it in my patriot and protank,but i just got a kayfun,so wondering if it will eat the plastic.I could use the metal instead,but i like to see how much is left,and i ordered the glass kit,but dont have it yet,so just curiuos.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
That's what i was hoping.I seen tfa vanilla custard listed as a tank cracker,but have never seen anything on any other brand,so wasn't sure.Yeah,it is my first,but definitely not my last,i already have plans of picking up another,and i'm sure there will be more in the near future.I've had it a few days now,and the first day i wasn't thrilled with it,but that was due to my coil build and not the kayfun itself.I have been building coils for my protanks for quite a while,but i wanted to take advantage of the bigger area in the kayfun,and build a bigger coil.What i ended up with came out to 1.5,but it was real narrow,so it turned red as soon as i hit the button,and instantly burnt the cotton before the juice ever had a chance haha.Yesterday,i built a new coil,going a bit smaller diameter this time,which helped make it wider as well,and now it works perfectly.Now i just need to empty the nasty juice i put in it yesterday,and get it going with some good tasting stuff haha.It's funny,i have read for a while that the flavor comes through alot better in these,but had no idea it would work this well.A bit to well,i used some juice that i was never thrilled with anyway,figured i'd use it to make sure everything was good,no leaks,etc. and after a few puffs,i realized just how bad that juice really is haha.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
When I build my coils for the KFL+ I rap the Kanthal around the little phillips screwdriver that came with it and then pinch the coils together, attach it to the posts. I then thread my cotton through, stand it up (like rabbit ears) screw the big part of the chimney on (with both ends of the cotton sticking up through the chimney, making site it doesn't get caught in the threads). Then I push them down towards the channels. This last part is IMPORTANT: Before screwing on the thin top of the chimney, I put a few drops of juice on the cotton/coils (making sure it's thoughly coated) and test fire. If it produces vapor, I screw on the top of the chimney. finish assembling and fill. Hope that helps. :toast:

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I think the little screwdriver is about the same size as the drill bit i build my protank coils on,i think that is 5/32.I thought of using it,but the cotton has to be so thin to fit those coils,i didn't think it would be enough in a bigger chamber like the kfl has,so i went with a bigger bit,i think it was like 1/8" or so.Seems to work pretty good,but i will try the screwdriver next time,as the smaller coils seem to be alot easier to get a good straight build on.With the bigger one i did yesterday,it just seemed to want to twist around alot while i was puttingthe legs around the screws.What gauge kanthal are you using?All i have right now is 30 wich is what i use the most, and 32,but i am going to pick up some 28 soon to give it a try.I did my set up just like you mention,i watched a video on youtube,and thats just how the guy on there did it.Thanks for the tips.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
I have the same as you, both 30 & 32 gauge. My coils usually are between 1.5-2.0 ohms. I'm ok with that. Like you, next time I get wire, I'm going to pick up some 28. Not sure if your already doing it, but just in case before twisting your coil, torch your kanthal till it glows red (a bic will suffice). It makes working with the kanthal easier and also burns off any possible contaminates. Good luck!

Cheers,
Steve

Edit I just noticed where your from so I feel obliged to add Go Blue :laugh: . I'm just messing around. :)

Last edited:

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Yeah 1.5-2.0 is where i like to keep them too,that seems to be a good range,i have done a few in my protank at 2.3,but a bit lower seems to be better.Yeah,when i first started looking into building coils,i watched a few videos,and they all said to heat it before wrapping,so i've followed that from the start.I built a new coil last night for the kfl,it came out good,i dont think i got the cotton to tight,but i think i may have left it a bit too long to where it clogged the channels,because when i put my custard in,after letting it sit for about 15 minutes,i got 1 good puff which was probably what i had dripped onto the coil before i put it back together,then i would get a burnt hit,let it sit for 5 minutes,1 good hit,then burnt hit haha.I'm going to empty it and redo the cotton today,there is not much that is nastier than that burnt taste haha.
As for where i'm from,sadly i have to agree with you,i watch more michigan games than i ever think of watching osu haha,not a fan of them at all.I've dealt with several of their players through the years,and every one i have met were arrogant,snob nosed and stuck up like they were the best guys around haha.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
Yeah if you get to much cotton through the coil it will choke it. The cotton expands when it gets wet. I usually vape around 3.7-4.0V with my coils. Once you get used to setting your KFL up, it's a pretty quick. I don't get dry hits with mine (nothing like the taste of burning cotton :lol:.). Keep at it my friend and Good Luck!

Cheers,
Steve

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I just rewicked it,and still getting a bit of dry hits,not as bad now,but being i am using a coil size bigger than i'm used to,i think thats causing some of the issue,where with the coils i usually build,i know just the right amount of cotton to put in them,so i am going to pull this coil,and go with what i know for now,and build one like i use for my protanks.They are small micro coils,but they put out a great hit in the protank,so hopefully they will work ok in this too.Did you drill out tthe air hole on yours?Mine is a clone,and the air hole is tiny,you can get a decent puff on it,but it seems just slightly tight.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
One other tip I can think of is: If yours has adjustable airflow, closing (tightening) the screw a bit will draw more juice and less air. I open mine up if it's getting too much juice, close it a bit if I'm not getting enough. That's how I fine tune mine for different viscosity juices (It works on a vacuum). You can also prime it by hitting it unpowered and taping your finger over the airhole.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
No mine isn't the adjustable version,i wish it was,it would make it easier,but when i buy another,that one will be.I followed your tip about making the coil on the little screwdriver,and wow that is small haha,i thought it would be about the same as my protank coils,but it's even smaller than them,works great though.I still need to play with the cotton a bit,being a new coil size,i thought i had it good,just a light resistance when pulled through the coil,but after about 5 puffs,same dry burnt hit,but before that it hits fantastic with that new coil.I'm starting to wonder if maybe the juice channels are too small,like i said mine is a clone,so wondering if maybe they didn't get it quite right.I will keep trying,and will definitely be buying another,although from a different source,just to see if there is a difference from another manufacturer.Thanks for all the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread