Not open for further replies.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Sorry for inundating this general but I’m bored and issues have come up

I took my car off the road, just in the driveway. Then I got busy in the house and forgot to disconnect my battery

sure enough it’s dead :(
Can any damage happen if I leave connected as is? The power has all drained so I guess there is no issue with me leaving it alone until I get back on the road and replace the battery?
Cheers

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Sorry for inundating this general but I’m bored and issues have come up

I took my car off the road, just in the driveway. Then I got busy in the house and forgot to disconnect my battery

sure enough it’s dead :(
Can any damage happen if I leave connected as is? The power has all drained so I guess there is no issue with me leaving it alone until I get back on the road and replace the battery?
Cheers

You can disconnect the positive terminal from the battery, but you'll probably have to trade that one in for a new one anyway.

Any idea what was draining power? Sounds like something didn't turn off with the ignition key. It's time for a charging system checkout and maybe a new battery.

Do you have a charger? Mine has gotten me back on the road a few times over the years. batteries seem to die when you least expect it, especially after they have been drained by something that's pulling current when the ignition is off.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
You can disconnect the positive terminal from the battery, but you'll probably have to trade that one in for a new one anyway.

Any idea what was draining power? Sounds like something didn't turn off with the ignition key. It's time for a charging system checkout and maybe a new battery.

Do you have a charger? Mine has gotten me back on the road a few times over the years. batteries seem to die when you least expect it, especially after they have been drained by something that's pulling current when the ignition is off.

thanks I’m not sure what it is. I had to replace the old battery and new alternator only 2 months ago!
meant to get rid of just before this lockdown and put it off a month.

but no more damage can be done to the car considering the battery is too drained to even turn the radio on?
If I leave as is?

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Also, I wanted to get one (battery charger) but I’m not sure that could revive this months old battery. Don’t want to waste more money when these big old batteries are costing me £100 before being fit.
I’m not handy and this 2010 focus has the negative in the most awkward position known to mankind smh

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    but no more damage can be done to the car considering the battery is too drained to even turn the radio on? If I leave as is?
    Most probably not, but to be on the safe side do as DaveP suggested and disconnect the positive side and put some black tape around the terminal (on the cable). Unless you want to disconnect both cables and remove the battery. Put the battery in something leak-proof and with air hole(s).

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    such an awkward battery I think I’m likely only to be able to get to the positive and not negative.Okay to just disconnect and tape that then
    Yeah it's not really necessary to tape the positive cable when it's disconnected and the negative isn't. It's just an extra safe step. If the negative cable is disconnected and the positive side is connected, tape is definitely in order.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Yeah I mean unless it's horribly corroded and gonna spew stuff everywhere, it's gonna be fine especially if you disconnect it.

I have found, 100% of the time (except that time I had a bad alternator) my issues with starting my car was the fact I left some lights on. So much so the husband actually bought me one of the uh things that charge your battery like an extra battery with jumper cables. You really only want to do that like so many times it is bad for your battery although charging it up right away is good. Batteries have shelf lives.

I have also found, 100% of the time when my car will not START I have locked all the doors with the keys in the ignition and freaking RUNNING sometimes. I hate when that happens. One time at work I was so flustered with like getting to another worksite on time I DID leave my keys in the ignition but also DID leave one of the doors open but apparently I did not check well enough and stuff and it actually WAS open which the locksmith pointed out when he showed up. LOL. He asked me if I "Did this often" and I was like, "Often enough to ask you where you buy those objects." He informed me in AZ it was like a crime to do anything with them which like, I was like, "Well I don't see where I would put them besides the trunk of my car so it kinda defeats the purpose anyway." Then he told me about the open door and I gave him my "Big eyes" and he only charged me half.

It's pretty dang weird one of the first times like, I asked a cop for assistance as I was told by the "new to me" Walmart they could help. The police lady was like, "Nah we don't do that." I asked her if (since it was my car) if I could VANDALIZE it by breaking a window to get in and she was all cool with THAT. She did however, call the locksmith for me and since it was considerably less expensive than in South Tucson and also 10 minutes away I decided the cost would be lower than breaking a window (I think I was in a bad mood that day.)

I have found, in fact, my cars to be almost 100% reliable most of the time except for ah, "Operator error" I guess one would call it.

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    thanks I’m not sure what it is. I had to replace the old battery and new alternator only 2 months ago!
    meant to get rid of just before this lockdown and put it off a month.

but no more damage can be done to the car considering the battery is too drained to even turn the radio on?
    If I leave as is?

Sounds like a warranty claim to me. If they replaced the battery and the alternator two months ago they should have checked out the charging system. You should be covered.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    Sounds like a warranty claim to me. If they replaced the battery and the alternator two months ago they should have checked out the charging system. You should be covered.

well I had the aa recovery service fit with a battery. Then when it happened again , diff aa guy said need a new alternator, my mechanic did it. No refund here I don’t think
    It was longer than that excuse me. Not much but plus the time that we have had covid. How long has this weird dream been going on now, 2 months? I forget

• Optimistic

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    well I had the aa recovery service fit with a battery. Then when it happened again , diff aa guy said need a new alternator, my mechanic did it. No refund here I don’t think
    It was longer than that excuse me. Not much but plus the time that we have had covid. How long has this weird dream been going on now, 2 months? I forget

There's usually a warranty on batteries and alternators if they are installed by a mechanic or a dealer/auto supply. Maybe the mechanic can get it replaced if the warranty sticker on the battery hasn't expired. It's all prorated from the purchase date.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    There's usually a warranty on batteries and alternators if they are installed by a mechanic or a dealer/auto supply. Maybe the mechanic can get it replaced if the warranty sticker on the battery hasn't expired.

thanks for your help

yeah I’ll disconnect negative tmr morn (wrapped) and then just hope it was only that when I get a replacement through aa recovery. They are a good company I reckon they will
    Cheers

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread