The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

CE3 smokeymizer prelim review

Discussion in 'Cartomizer Reviews' started by the_vape_nerd, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. the_vape_nerd

the_vape_nerd Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 20, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    After a post by a rather enthusiastic user of these, I went ahead and ordered a box from My Vapor Store. Her thread was answered by a number of folks who said there weren't enough reviews of the product yet. So, here is a review of the product I received. I've only vaped it last night and through this morning so keep in mind that this is not an extensive review and cannot speak to longevity or durability. I will add that later.

One pack of these costs $10.50 over at My Vapor Store. I ordered some other things from this vendor, notably a ce2 syringe filling kit and some flue cured tobacco (this is excellent by the way).

Ok onto the CE3 review:

Filling- I opened my new syringe filling kit. Inserted one of the blunt tips onto the syringe and then filled a carto condom with juice. The reading on the syringe was about .6 ml. I then pulled the plug on my first CE3 and dropped the juice in without a whole lot of effort. I added a bit more about another .6ml. I didn't want to overfill and stopped there. The description from MVS states they can hold 1.8 ml of juice and this may be so. I'd say you probably could get a bit more in there but I've had some flooding issues with plastic cartos in the past and didn't want to chance it. In any case, the plug fill system is a bit of a pain in the butt in that the plug is very very small and you have to re-insert it with a tweezers. I expect that this will get easier with practice and really it wasn't THAT difficult to get back in but did take several tries. Combine this with the fact that you have to syringe fill and it becomes a big production. I hate syringe filling.

Vaping- The ce3s come with one Delrin drip tip, which I think is pretty cool. Delrin's I've seen for purchase alone are sometimes $4 so if you factor in the fact that you get a drip tip out of the deal i'd say the package is at least as economical as traditional cartos.

I put the Delrin tip on and installed the ce3 to my e-power base (no the cone will not fit over it). I began vaping. This was pretty good. A nice warm vape with a nice thick cloud of vapor production. The taste was really fantastic, very similar to dripping. No plastic taste at all. I kept this up for another good hour of moderate vaping. All went well, no change in taste, no burning, etc.

Leaking issues- Every other plastic carto I've tried has leaked in one way or another and I assumed the CE3 would as well. Thus, I really put it through the ringer. I vaped on it, then I turned the thing upside down, shook it side to side and so forth to see if I could detect any leaks. At the end of about an hour there was some small amount of juice up above the fill plug. I don't think this was just condensation or anything. The leaking was extremely minor maybe a quarter of a drop or a half of a drop. I went ahead and wiped it up with a dry q-tip. This morning I again vaped and treated the things pretty badly and had the same result. Some minor leaking around the top. Theres zero leaking from the bottom though. I'd say every 60 drags or so maybe you would have to clean off the juice but I didnt get any juice in my mouth the entire time. The Delrin kind of covers the juice for you so that yes, theres a tiny bit of leaking but as long as it doesn't end up in your mouth, who really cares?

Material and workmanship- These things are made with the newer "unbreakable" plastic and they do seem tougher than the original ce2's I've had. The included pair of tweezers is somewhat flimsy and you might want to invest in a better pair. I ordered the smoky black color. I would not recommend doing this unless you are a real fan of black for some reason. It is hard to see through. You can still tell the level if you hold it up to the light, but it seems to me one of the other colors would make this much easier. White or green for example.

Overall conclusion- The filling is somewhat tedious. Having to syringe fill and then go through the tweezer procedure is not something you are going to want to do after say 6 beers. However, this is outweighed by a really good vaping experience once you do have it filled. Virtually no leaking, a thick warm vape, and the taste is outstanding. Throw in the price of 10.50 for five of them and a Delrin tip included and I think this is a huge winner.

I will supplement this as time goes by in order to speak to long term durability and other issues which may or may not arise.

2. StotheK

StotheK Reviewer / Blogger ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2011
    Knoxville
    Great review! There's some techniques to make putting that little plug in easier, but I still find it kind of cumbersome to have to deal with the plug and still have to syringe fill it.

3. Lambch3p

Lambch3p Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    I just ordered some so I can give them a try. I love to try new things. I've been watching these and wanting to try them for a while. They come in blue and purple, this makes me happy. It's a bonus when my cartos match my batteries and mods. Now let's hope they work as good as they look! :)

Thanks for the review!

4. carpedebass

carpedebass Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 10, 2011
    The Alamo City
    Great review...thanks! I'm planning on getting some of these to try out.

5. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2009
    Central Texas
    I've had some about two weeks, for me when they get about a week old they start degrading, then at a week and a half it just quite. The down side to this is you can't clean them, if you get it apart you'll never get it back together. I like them for first thing in the morning, nice hard TH with plenty of flavor to go with my black coffee.

6. the_vape_nerd

Supporting member
    Jun 20, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm disappointed to hear that I guess but a week is ok. I mean they are what.....2$ a piece??

7. wdave

wdave Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Set the carto LED down in a cup without the stopper plugged in. You won't have any juice in the carto in less than 2 hours. Filling is messy because some juice drains out while you are filling.

The CE3 has unfinished rough sharp edges at the end of the mouthpiece which will eventually cause sores on the tongue. It is a poor example of workmanship.

With the drip tip, holding the ecig between my teeth put enough pressure on my teeth to eventually cause pain. For anyone who wants to keep an ecig between their teeth, drip trips are just plain stupid.

Your observation that all plastic cartos leek shows your inexperience.

Oh yeah, don't drink six beers in a short time or you will wind up in A.A.

Dave

8. carpedebass

Jul 10, 2011
    The Alamo City
    They really have LEDs on them?

9. the_vape_nerd

Supporting member
    Jun 20, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Dave, not sure what I did here to anger you but umm...I don't really even understand the first two sentences. As to the sharp edges, I didn't notice these at all I guess b/c I have the drip tip in. As to holding an ecig between my teeth I don't do that so it doesn't matter to me.

As for plastic cartos leaking, this is my experience. I've only been at it 4 months, I've tried a bunch of them. They've all leaked to one degree or another.

And I'll drink whatever I want to.

10. the_vape_nerd

Supporting member
    Jun 20, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm not sure what he meant by that.

11. carpedebass

Jul 10, 2011
    The Alamo City
    Looks like someone just woke up on the wrong side of the cage this morning...

12. CWatkinsNash

CWatkinsNash Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Nashville, TN USA
    Thanks for the review. I've been thinking about buying an adapter so I can try these out, so I'm reading all the reviews I can get my eyes on. (Thank goodness for azsmokefree and their "connect anything to anything" selection of adapters.) I guess the only thing I'm waiting on now is to find my all-day (or even half-day) vape so that I have a reason for that kind of capacity.

13. erich

erich Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 31, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Isn't that what the stopper is for? Of course it'll leak.

Odd. I don't generally put my tongue on it.

What does that have to do with ce3s? How is clamping down on any cartomizer with or without a drip tip any different?

14. Creniker

Creniker Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Salt Lake
    Good review. Some people are groutches. I liked it and based on it Ill give them a try. Thanks!

15. tiffytiff

tiffytiff Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 30, 2009
    Wheeling WV
    darnit! jbankston!!! my plan to get everyone to buy these, hate them, then sell them to me at a discounted rate is foiled!!!! lol!:p

glad you liked em!

it really is all i'm using now, at least till something better comes along :vapor:

16. Odell

Odell Super Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 25, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    I have been able to accomplish syringe filling with 8-10 beers YMMV... So good review IMO. Jeez, what happened to humor?

17. jameth

jameth Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2011
    Southern Utah

I think you have had a few more then 6 tonight, what the hell kind of post is that?

18. the_vape_nerd

Supporting member
    Jun 20, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Ha, syringe filling you might be able to accomplish after 8 beers, but I'd like to see if you could fit the tiny plug into that hole with a tweezers, if you can, you belong here in New Orleans with the rest of us drunks, lol.

19. the_vape_nerd

Supporting member
    Jun 20, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Update to the review:

Last night I went for a refill. I tried to put in about .8 ml. I succeeded in this but then immediately noticed leakage at the base. This was significant (at least 2 drops worth). I am not sure why this happens but on other similarly typed products (the GV sapphire), I've had the same issue. If you put too much into some of them they leak from the base. And .8 ml is way off the mark of the stated capacity of 1.8ml.

Also had a bit more leakage near the top this morning after only a few drags.

I will continue and let everyone know what happens.

Also, in her review Tiff said something about "real ce3's" having the lettering of MIT on them. These do not. They have an inscribed "MG" or "MC" near the base. Perhaps I got a knock off?

20. tiffytiff

tiffytiff Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 30, 2009
    Wheeling WV
    nope they are the real deal, im a dumba$$ :) the mit logo is on the outside of the box, and the mc is inscribed in both places as you stated :)
    when you went to refill and had leakage, was there still liquid in the ce3? were you sort of topping off for the day? i only ask because the one time i did try that was the only time i experienced any leakage...i vape mine dry b4 i refill, and that eliminated that problem....just curious :) lemme know :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.