Chain vaping is killing my coils! Is there better coils to choose from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odge

Oct 3, 2018
Hi guys,

I tend to vape in bursts due to not being able to vape most of the day and I'm just ripping through coils. I have tried just about every smok coil that make that works with a baby beast tank and I am averaging like 2-3 days per coil. Every once in awhile I'll randomly get a couple weeks out of a cool but those are few and far between.

I've also tried a vapespresso coil which I really like but again, not getting nearly the life out of them.

I'm sitting here in Dominican Republic and only brought two coils with me and have made a conscious decision to try to give the coil at least 20 seconds between firing and I'm only here for 3 more days but both of the coils are already getting hints of burnt cotton. (I'm using two different mods is why I am using 2 coils at the same time, I switch them out depending on battery level).

In a last ditch effort i took one of the coils out and rinsed it with water and used Kleenex to try to gently wipe away some of the burned residue and surprisingly it has got rid of the burned flavour for the time being but I'm sure it'll be back soon.

As far as wattage goes, the two mods I'm using right now are unregulated so I dont actually know what wattage they are at. With my bigger mods at home I usually vape at 60 watts for the first day or so and as soon as I get any hint of burned cotton I'll slowly reduce wattage to keep the burned flavour away until I'm down to like 35 watts and then usually change coil.

I should also add that I make my own juice and only vape clear low sweetener juice so I don't believe it's a matter of juice.

Anyways I'm babbling...

TLDR. Are there any coils that are better suited for chain vaping?

The other option I guess is to up the mg so I feel satisfied quicker which I have done in the past but then just slowly got used it it and started vaping 6mg as much as I did 3mg. I'm a bit worried that if I keep going up I'll just get to a point that I need more and more nicotine to be satisfied.

Anyways sorry for long rambling question.

• Informative
Reactions: Izan

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Short answer, drop in coils generally suck for chain vaping. The cotton in then is almost always tightly packed so you run into problems with wicking keeping up when chain vaping. Of course, some so better than others, but none are super duper stars at it. There's certainly no solution I can suggest if you're in the DR on vacation short of taking a needle and poking a few holes in the cotton through the juice holes to try and help out.

As for longer term options, certainly building and wicking your own will work out better, and cheaper, for chain vaping. If drop in coils are a must I'm sure folks who use a variety will pop in, as I'm not a big user of them anymore.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I've always been hesitant to try the coils that you have to make your own coils for but maybe it's time I give them a shot. They seemed like a bit of a pain in the .... but at the rate I go through coils it certainly makes sense to at least give them a try.
You can buy prebuilt coils, all you do is install and wick. Starting out with single coil builds is easier. I thought the same as you but upkeep isn't too bad.

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
Our bodies titrate nicotine into our blood. Meaning, in most cases when we had enough we stop vaping for a bit. You can do this throughout the day and vape or you can do intenses burst of vaping(like you're doing). At the end of the day it should be roughly the same amount of nicotine in either case. And thus, the stress of the coils should be roughly the same.

I would suspect the issue is more related to your tank. Things would be a lot better if you learned to use an RDA or an RTA. It's so much cheaper. With about 30 dollars worth of stuff(cotton and wire) you can probably vape about a year.

Reactions: Odge

Odge

Oct 3, 2018
You can buy prebuilt coils, all you do is install and wick. Starting out with single coil builds is easier. I thought the same as you but upkeep isn't too bad.

You've convinced me. As soon as I get back home I'll hit up a vape store and see what they have for options. Thank you!

After I started making my own juice I couldn't believe the money I saved and wonder why everyone doesn't do it. I can make a 2 month supply in about maybe 30 minutes of minimal effort. It took a bit of trial and error to create a few recipes that I really enjoy but once I got the hang of it, it's a piece of cake. I'm not sure why I didn't learn from that and try an rba or rda earlier.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I've always been hesitant to try the coils that you have to make your own coils for but maybe it's time I give them a shot. They seemed like a bit of a pain in the .... but at the rate I go through coils it certainly makes sense to at least give them a try.

I rebuild every day. My coils can last 2-3 weeks but generally I only keep them 1-3 days because I enjoy rebuilding.

After a while you get quick. I can rebuild 3 RDAs in about 12 minutes, or rewrick 3 coils in maybe 6 minutes.

There's no reason why you can't try an RDA/RTA and keep your drop in coil tank for when you don't feel like rebuilding.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Odge - While you're learning to use an RDA or other RBA...the Eleaf HW series of coils will work well in your Baby Beast tank. Several local vape shops have totally quit carrying the SMOK coils for it and are only carrying the Eleaf HW coils now. Their customers are much happier with them. A friend using them gets at least 2 times the number of days from them as from the SMOK coils, and he's a chain vaper, too. He uses the HW-4 which are 0.3ohms, but there are 3 others in the series. You might want to check them out.

FastTech carries all the authentic Eleaf HW series coils, too, for a good price compared to vape shops. Would be a good source if you decide you like them and want to keep some onhand for your Baby Beast, even after you start using an RBA of some kind.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I was the same going through coils like crazy. The falcon tank was much better. I was getting a week to 2 weeks out of a coil. I switched to the drop dead rda and I'll never go back to a drop in. do yourself a favor and get a squonk setup. Dripping gets annoying.

Of course it will vary with things like the power chosen, the juice used, and the frequency of chain vaping, but the newer mesh coils from folks like Horizon do last longer. I use a Freemax mesh and can get several weeks out of a single coil, so that may be another option to explore. I do know the Smok mesh offerings have a poor reputation for flavor compared to Freemax or Horizon again by reviews and posts around here.

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
You've convinced me. As soon as I get back home I'll hit up a vape store and see what they have for options. Thank you!

After I started making my own juice I couldn't believe the money I saved and wonder why everyone doesn't do it. I can make a 2 month supply in about maybe 30 minutes of minimal effort. It took a bit of trial and error to create a few recipes that I really enjoy but once I got the hang of it, it's a piece of cake. I'm not sure why I didn't learn from that and try an rba or rda earlier.
I was doing DYI for a long time. Some flavors are so good that you want them. Hence, that's why I buy them now.

But coils are pretty easy to make. It takes a few tries and you'll get it. There are many YouTube videos on how to build and insert coils. I would recommend starting out with an RDA. They are easier to work with then an RTA. The RTA you have to get the wicking just right. RDAs, they are easier to wick. The flavor is also better than tanks.

mintymints

ECF Veteran
  • Jun 11, 2017
    oldham uk
    works out cheaper to diy and not a pia at all

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread