? Changes since quitting smoking ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HYDRO

Sep 26, 2009
P-Cola, FL
Please Post About Any Changes You Have Experienced or Noticed After Quitting Smoking & Going To An ecig Product... Also Post About Other Attempts & Products That Did Not Work & What You Think Made ECIGS Work....

:confused:- Expected changes - Real Changes - Enviroment Changes - Interaction Changes - Health Changes - Family Changes - Mental Changes - No Changes -:confused:

Thanks,
HYDRO

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
I smoked menthol analogs for 42 years - a pack and a half to two packs a day. The e-cig was something that I ran across while looking for less expensive RYO tobacco, and was ordered on a whim out of pure curiosity. I never expected changes because I never expected to quit smoking. It just happened. When I tried the e-cig I loved the taste and the novelty - and I accidentally quit smoking analogs the very first day. The patch hadn't worked. The gum hadn't worked. This worked without any effort on my part.

The very first change was that I felt sick as a dog within a couple of weeks - very dizzy and weak and on the brink of passing out. I went back on the analogs for one full day because I thought the e-cig was making me ill. I couldn't hardly smoke the analogs because they tasted sooo awful, so I'd take a puff or two and put it out. I then went back to the e-cig because the terrible "about to pass out" dizziness did not go away when I'd stopped using it for that one day. My co-workers rushed me to the ER one day and I was barely aware that it was happening. It was quickly determined at the hospital that my blood pressure had tanked because I was taking the blood pressure medications of a heavy smoker when I wasn't a smoker anymore! The ER doc took me off of one of the hypertension meds and a week later I was taken off of another. I feel MUCH better now! :D

At work I'm able to accomplish more because I'm allowed to vape at my desk and don't have to go outside for smoke breaks. My sense of taste has returned as well as my sense of smell. I've lost 17 pounds because I "snack" on e-cigs with yummy flavors instead of the snack foods. With flavors like: cheesecake, cinnamon roll, grape, caramel, cotton candy, pear, .... etc. - who needs the real thing? I can feed my oral fixation and my sweet tooth without loading in calories. My ashtrays now hold little bottles of nic juice that I DIY instead of smelly butts.

Another difference: My lungs used to crackle when I would lie down to sleep at night. It sounded like Rice Krispies in there. They don't do that anymore - ever! I can breathe.

Dirtybutts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
West Point, New York
Biggest change for me so far is that I can actually smell things...Like how nasty smoke smells or that my hair, clothes and breath now smell pretty darn good..And to think my husband had to put up with my horrible odor for so long. I have also noticed I cook my food with way way to much salt and I wonder how my poor family has put up with that also. Know that I can taste again things are alot different!

Stormee

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
North Carolina, USA
Rave your post should be an inspiration to all! I would love to post this in my local newspaper and make copies to hang in the waiting rooms at doctor's offices and the hospitals! People in my small town still aren't aware of vaping like they should be and we still get those looks when vaping in a public place.

I have to say that I love my new energy, the fresh clean smell to my house, car and on my person (lol) and that I can also breath now without hearing the wheezing/crackling sound in my chest. Vaping has changed my life 1000% for the better! My husband is now vaping and so are my sons. It is wonderful having a smoke-free family!

Oh and my dog who has had skin allergies since forever has finally stopped chewing at his paws! We have had him to the vet numerous times for his allergies. He has tried several medications that did not work. We changed his dog food and even made sure he had a daily serving of yogurt. Nothing was working. Since we stopped smoking and started vaping, he has not been itching!

Life is good!

Lyndale

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm 31 and have been smoking for 15 years. I have tried to quit numerous times using Zyban. The longest I had quit before trying vaping was 2 weeks. Today I'm at two weeks and one day, and it has not been a struggle. I didn't even have a quit plan in place this time.

Previous times I had quit I never noticed any of the physical withdrawal symptoms. I think my addiction is primarily psychological. It's the ritual of smoking. I think that is why vaping is working so well for me, I still get the hand to mouth, inhale/exhale thing.

hollyp

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2009
California
I have quit smoking several times. I've done both cold turkey and used the patch. The patch helped me get rid of the "need" for a cigarette but I still wanted one. I missed the action of smoking as well as to social aspect during my breaks at work. With my E-cig I still have those and have significantly reduced the amount of nicotine I am receiving per day.

As for health changes. I was a light smoker (about 1/2 a pack a day) for 20 years. The last 5 yrs I have had a kind of crackle in the bottom of my left lung when I lay down and the last 2-3 yrs I have had to clear my throat often. I never thought I had a smokers cough just kind of congested. I started E-cigs the end of August so I'm about 2 months. My crackle went away quickly. My throat clearing/cough initially seemed to get worse but the last 2 weeks I've noticed I'm not doing it. So about 6 weeks in for me.

Personal changes. My non-smoking hubby is ecstatic that I don't stink any more and I was alway self-conscious about standing too closing to people especially after a smoke break. I work in retail and tried really hard not to breath in the general direction of my customers.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
In 20+ years only tired to quite once. I used "cigarettes" made from the toasted husk of cocoa beans. And Lifesavers, lots of Lifesavers! Got a good week or two, I think, but the fake (and horrible tasting) cigarettes were $40.00 a carton and had to be mail ordered. I know, it's funny now with the price of cigarettes what they are and the fact that the mailman is now my best friend. =)

Never tried to quite again.

I'm not a self-conscious person, but I had this stain on my finger right were the cigarettes rested and nicotine colored fingernails. It was an embarassment. Gone in a few weeks. And yes, now that I can smell again, I realize how much money I wasted on cologne that no one could smell over the cigarette odor! Apologizies all the way, 'round.

No morning cough. No massive phlem production. No complaints of cigarette breath. No odors on clothes. But we tended to ignore those symptoms as much as possible. Denial is such a wonderful thing!

Really haven't noticed any adverse effects from using e-cigs.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. Yes, I now search for Lifesaver related flavors. =)

moonlight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Stormee, that's interesting about your dog! Hope that continues :)

The weirdest change was going through ciggie withdrawals even while I vaped. It took about 3 weeks of feeling "flu-ish" and having trouble sleeping, but with absolutely NO cravings for a smoke. I've quit before, had the flu feeling, but constant cravings too. Not this time.

And I haven't gained a pound either! That was always the thing that made me go back...those damn 12-15 pounds that would pack right on.

The best is that I really breathe better. My sense of smell and taste is sharper then it has been in years.

And sometimes I vape a lot right before bed because I like the crazy dreams that a little too much nic will give you ;)

Last edited:

Stormee

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
North Carolina, USA
Moonlight: That's so funny about the dreaming! At first I was not having nice dreams but nightmares. Now I'm just having vivid dreams but they all seem to be good ones. I didn't have any of the other withdrawal symptoms such as flu-like symptoms...and I NEVER craved a cigarette again! I'm a happy vaper!

Yes it is odd about my dog, but it's been over three months now and still no itching. Makes me feel bad to know that my husband and I were the cause of his allergies. At least he is cured now. The poor thing went through some rough times. The vet had him on prednisone which he had awful side effects from and gained weight. Then we tried antibiotics which gave him a yeast infection, which we think was the cause of his itching to begin with! He got the yeast infection in his ears so when he would paw at his ears, he would then bite on his paws because it would spread. I'm just glad the whole nightmare is over for him.

I haven't gained any weight either...in fact I lost. I guess because I am happy vaping those yummy flavors like banana, coconut and maple. I no longer crave sweets the way I used to! Win-win!

jennyhadadot

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
I'm 51 and have smoked since I was 13, you do the math! I have NEVER been able to quit analogs for more than a week or so during this entire time and it was literally killing me. I tried everything there is...patches, gum, hypnosis, drugs, herbs...NOTHING WORKED. I got my Ecig 101 days ago and quit analogs after the first 'puff'. Now after 101 days I feel like I've been reborn. My biggest problem was the constant coughing and that is totally gone, my cough was gone within 2 weeks. My voice is different, I like to sing (in the shower, in the car) and now I can hit the higher notes. My sense of smell is much keener, I can smell an analog a mile away. I smell a lot better myself too, when I'm around someone who just had an analog I can't believe I used to smell that bad. OK, I'm not at the point where the smell of analogs is totally horrible, but it sure isn't pleasant.
But here's the biggest change for me: I can LAUGH without choking...I LOVE to laugh and used to shy away from comedy because of my cough but now I can sit here and watch the funniest youtube videos and laugh away without a problem!
Am I still a 'smoker'? I dunno. Most people I know who smoke tell me I'm still a smoker. But the past few weeks or so I've begun to think of myself as an non-smoker, I know I'll never go back to analogs, even if e-cigs are banned outright. I figure at 51 I still have a few good years left!

jennyhadadot

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Rave, I agree with Stormee, very inspirational indeed! It comments like yours that provide hope for others like myself!

I'm still awaiting my kit and supplies, so very much looking forward to smoking being a thing of the past.

I wish you all the luck in the world! Best thing for you to do after you get your supplies is to keep coming to this forum EVERYDAY! There may be times when you get discouraged but if you keep coming back, you'll do fine. What e-cig are you starting with?

HYDRO

Sep 26, 2009
P-Cola, FL
Its things like the Dog Itching & the Blood Pressure Meds that made me wanna start this thread :)

I knew everyones experiences would be different - Its mainly the changes that I haven't noticed or thought of that I find interesting...

Its sooooo foreign to me to be able to walk into a house of smokers & have it smell so foul to me LOL... I smoked for 15 years & NEVER noticed that....

I have always either smoked outside or in a different room around my son. He had also took it upon himself to police my smoking habits... He would ask me how many cigs have I smoked all day & tell me thats too many... (It was cute), for awhile... LOL .... I've treated ECIGS / Vaping just like smoking & do it away from him, however he has commented on how much better I smell & the few times in car that he did smell my menthol vapor he said " It smells a million times better than smoke "

Another great change was of course the MUCUS... Its nice to not wake up and immediately have to clear throat of a huge build up....

When brushing my teeth, when I got to brushing my tongue there was Always a brown filmy build up that would come off & give me a good brown spit into sink ... THATS GONE ! My tongue is always pink now, before I even start brushing ....

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten any extra energy, nor have I experienced any improvements in circulation (always heard it would improve)...As flu season approaches I definitely hope to avoid getting sick as much...

I do wanna thank everyone for sharing.. Please continue to do so, as it helps us understand, express, convey, and most importantly document what this relatively new technology can do for us & our health compared to Coventional Cigarettes...

Thanks,
HYDRO

hyperdeficit

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2009
Lucas, Texas
Less coughing, taste came back, sleep better, better in bed life (believe it or not)
Gained a little weight (food tastes better) teeth whiter and I dont always smell.

The simple fact of why e cigs work is because they give what gum, patches or any other method can not. They replicate the feeling of smoking and the act of moving your hand to your mouth and feeling something in your lungs is just as addictive as nicotine.

So how lkong have you been vaping hydro? i never asked in our conversations

hyperdeficit

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2009
Lucas, Texas
Moonlight: That's so funny about the dreaming! At first I was not having nice dreams but nightmares. Now I'm just having vivid dreams but they all seem to be good ones. I didn't have any of the other withdrawal symptoms such as flu-like symptoms...and I NEVER craved a cigarette again! I'm a happy vaper!

Thats so weird, I am bipolar so I have the classic night terrors (really really really bad dreams) and ever since I started vaping i HAVENT HAD THEM.

I know that the patch can cause nightmares so maybe it is nicotine period. I think in the months i have been vaping i have only had 8 or 9 night mares... thats a lot better than the 5 a week i was having

Rhaevyn

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
Tigard, Oregon
www.myspace.com
This is only day 17 for me, but I can tell you that from the minute I opened my package and got it all set up I never touched another analog. I think I was so psyched for it that I was ready. I felt a bit of a craving for a cig the first day or two, but a hit off my Vapor King and that passed quickly.

I am going through the phlegm stage, spitting up all the nasty crap that's accumulated over the years. Smoked on and off for 30 or so years (one time I quit for 8 years, still kicking myself for that one...).

The first few days of vaping I noticed I was so tired. I slept for hours and hours on my days off, and then took a nap. I felt slightly like a flu was coming over me, but never really got sick. My sinuses started to act up, badly. But they usually do twice a year, and this is one of those times of the year.

The past few days things have been improving a lot. I wish I could tout the losing weight thing some of you are. Gods that would be awesome. But I have a horrible addiction to chocolate and there is no way I could vape at work, I still have to go off premises and hide to vape. But it's all worth it. This is the best thing I've ever done for myself.

It's kind of funny how all of these responses sound like a cheesy campaine for e-cigarettes. It's even funnier knowing that out of all the products that have cheesy campain ads this one actually delivers. I have LOVED vaping from the instant my fiance mentioned it to me. I thought it was the greatest thing since antibiotics and I still hold to that.

Now, I am 22 years old but I have been smoking a pack a day for about 8 years. I received my first e-cig about 2.5 weeks ago and haven't touched another analog since. OK, that's a lie, I did TOUCH one but it was because I was handing them to my grandmother so that she could dispose of them for me. I'll never forget the look on her face when I handed her that pack of cigs. It was truly beautiful because I knew that I had made her very happy and proud.

So, getting on with the meat of the topic; I've had many of your obvious changes like being able to smell/taste... BREATH. However, I've had a couple of interesting changes that I've yet to hear. The most visible one being that, within the first few days of vaping, I noticed that my acne had cleared up unbelievably and my skin felt like a babies ..... Other than that, I've noticed having a hard time trying to sleep. Now, I think it's probably because the stimulant of the nicotine. However, I don't really find this to be a bad thing since before I was used to sleeping from 10-12hrs a night and was still tried. So, this for me is like a new burst of energy and I can sleep less and not feel tried. My fiance says it's because I'm actually getting oxygen to my brain... lol I can't really argue with that...

So, to end this long winded rant I would just like to thank everyone for their support and I wish you all the very best of luck.

Happy Vaping Everyone,
LD

V10Beast

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2009
California
Smoker for 18+ yrs, 1.5 packs/day of Marlboro Lights. Got my first ecig and I've only smoked one (1) analog for the last 120 days.

I've always liked the smell of analogs when others smoke and I still like it today. I always thought of ecigs as a healthier compromise to the real thing. So 3 weeks ago (approx at my 3 month mark of zero analogs), I was in Vegas and all I could do was think about smoking "for ol' times sake" the enitre plane trip + taxi ride. When I got there, I actually left all my supplies in the hotel room to go down and buy a fresh pack of Marlboro Lights to smoke. I knew Vegas was going to be a challenge. The memories, the smoking indoors, the drinking, gambling, late nights, etc.

So upon my girl and me changing, I went downstairs straight to the store, leaving my 510, PCC and my 18mg Winston Juice in the room. Bought the pack, packed it and fired it up for the first time in 3 months. These were my observations that initially ran through my head:

1. Man, these things weigh next to nothing! My 510 weighs like 10lbs compared to this.
2. Upon 1st drag after 3 mos... where's the throat hit? As I recalled, analogs dont need breaking in!
3. There is a weird and foreign taste on my tongue. I can't believe it tasted so foreign after only 3 months... and I've been on analogs for 18 yrs.
4. Where the heck is the vapor/smoke? I asked my fiance why the smoke cloud is so wispy. She told me that this is always how it was.

Well, to make a long story short, I tossed the pack after I finished the initial analog, ran back upstairs and got my equipment. Didn't smoke another analog since then.

It was actually kinda disappointing (my analog experience). I've conditioned my mind into believing that analogs gave the best throat hit, the clouds of smoke and just everything nice (sans the lung cancer). It built up all the way and was a big letdown. I'm sure I could have forced myself back into the habbit, but why the heck would I want to do that? It was a blessing that I did not aquire a taste for it again.

To sum it up, I am not a person that dislikes smokers, or even the smell of smoke (I actually still like it). I am not anti-analogs and always associated smoking with all things exciting/stressful/fun/celebratory... but the ecig has really taken the analog's place in my life. I am so glad I found vaping!

As for health benefits, I've really only noticed two. I don't get short of breath as easily and I am able to breathe really deep without the feeling of a cough about to happen. My sense of smell/taste, my weight and sex life all remained the same.

I never really had a smokers cough and never went thru the hocking up black phlem stage after quitting (I wish I did). I didn't quit analogs from peer pressure or for financial reasons. I will stay off analogs not because of any benefits I get from quitting, but becuase I know inside it's the right path... and I wanted to quit before it's too late and while my mind was still a step ahead of my health.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread