Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
i4_en_08.jpg

the dog

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2016
I wouldn't leave them in there unattended for an extended period of time or overnight, but intelligent chargers do stop charging once the batteries are full.

Odds are nothing may happen, but it's best to err on the side of caution.
Right on thanks mongo that's what I assumed I would hear my girlfriend was asking me because she is in charge of unplugging my stuff because I work night shift in the forest so now she'll be removing batteries have a good day

Reactions: Kprthevapr

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
Right on thanks mongo that's what I assumed I would hear my girlfriend was asking me because she is in charge of unplugging my stuff because I work night shift in the forest so now she'll be removing batteries have a good day

No problem. Like I said, the chances of something happening are probably nil, but why bother taking a risk if you or someone else can get to them after they're fully charged. That doesn't necessarily mean sitting around waiting for them to be full...

the dog

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2016
I do not have the luxury of being able to sit around waiting for my batteries to be fully charged so I can remove them immediately and I am confident in the device I use to not overcharge the batteries. I leave them overnight or while I am gone all day.
Its not a luxury she works at home catering and lunch for night shift workers they place order and pick up lunch before going to work

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
It would be a luxury for me to be there waiting around for my batteries to charge so I can take them out and unplug it. And it would be sort of inconvenient to only charge them when I know I will be there to unplug it. Like I can't put them on charge and wake up to fully charged batteries because they will finish while I am sleep?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
To add one little asterisk, I personally wouldn't use a battery hot off the charger for just that reason, they get a bit warm with charging. I would leave them for 15 or 20 minutes not charging before actual use. Cool batteries, good. Hot batteries bad.

That's also why I rotate sets. I can use one, charge the other, and that second set is unlikely to be needed right off the charger to swap with the in use set.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Finally got a charger for my batteries its a nitecore intellicharger new i4 my only question is knowing it knows when to stop charging if I'm not around to take the batteries out of the charger can they stay in there ?
Absolutely.. these are called "smart chargers" for a reason...

They are checking on the batteries non stop, and when almost fully charged, they trickle charge the last 20% which lets the battery be cooler and take the charge in a much more stable fashion.

Then, when fully charged, they stop feeding it any power and eventually they turn themselves off and simply go into a maintenance "mode" and checks the battery for any drops...

To bad that you didn't "splurge" the extra 10$ (or so)for the "D" model, the screen info (instead if the level lights) is so great to have... if you can exchange it, I'd recommend it.

But as far as any risk, nope, none, nada, you'd need to have a power spike at your home that would fry all electronics before you'd have to worry about it.

If you're still not sure due to misinformation.. just check how the batteries warm up as they charge, and once done, you'll see that they end up cool (room temperature) as there's no other activity going than the maintenance mode checking on it.

I have multiple chargers, including "old school" that does the old types (NI/Cad and NI/Mg) AA and AAA, but as they are high end chargers, I've left batteries in there for months, just so to have my batteries charged as ALL rechargeables will eventually drop power if set aside. And with my D-4, I've been doing the same for over a year (as I have several spare batteries), and never an issue.

This topic is as bad as people that still linger that charging via the USB port of the mod is bad...(it isn't whatsoever) Technology has advanced, some people haven't and stick to old notions.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
To add one little asterisk, I personally wouldn't use a battery hot off the charger for just that reason, they get a bit warm with charging. I would leave them for 15 or 20 minutes not charging before actual use. Cool batteries, good. Hot batteries bad.

That's also why I rotate sets. I can use one, charge the other, and that second set is unlikely to be needed right off the charger to swap with the in use set.

I never have to wait as mine are at room temperature from the charging cycle stopping when I was not there.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada

yup, I second this..

My several spares are always in rotation, after a while I take the ones in the charger and set aside to be taken in order and reload the charger as I go.. some batteries can spend weeks in my charger before I switch over, but that's because the spares are for my single battery mods mostly, as my dual are all charged via the mod directly at night (as I rotate my mods too)...

God as my witness, I shall never have a dead mod again!

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
Barring not using a set of hot batteries fresh out of a charger, the point is that even if your cross all the t's and dot all the i's, if something can go wrong it will.

Also, as far as not using a usb port for charging a mod, unless said mod is single battery, or has a built in lipo, OR has balanced charging, it's better for the batteries to be taken out and charged in a standalone charger, as many a mod manufacturer state.

Reactions: MMW and Eskie

the dog

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2016
Absolutely.. these are called "smart chargers" for a reason...

They are checking on the batteries non stop, and when almost fully charged, they trickle charge the last 20% which lets the battery be cooler and take the charge in a much more stable fashion.

Then, when fully charged, they stop feeding it any power and eventually they turn themselves off and simply go into a maintenance "mode" and checks the battery for any drops...

To bad that you didn't "splurge" the extra 10$ (or so)for the "D" model, the screen info (instead if the level lights) is so great to have... if you can exchange it, I'd recommend it.

But as far as any risk, nope, none, nada, you'd need to have a power spike at your home that would fry all electronics before you'd have to worry about it.

If you're still not sure due to misinformation.. just check how the batteries warm up as they charge, and once done, you'll see that they end up cool (room temperature) as there's no other activity going than the maintenance mode checking on it.

I have multiple chargers, including "old school" that does the old types (NI/Cad and NI/Mg) AA and AAA, but as they are high end chargers, I've left batteries in there for months, just so to have my batteries charged as ALL rechargeables will eventually drop power if set aside. And with my D-4, I've been doing the same for over a year (as I have several spare batteries), and never an issue.

This topic is as bad as people that still linger that charging via the USB port of the mod is bad...(it isn't whatsoever) Technology has advanced, some people haven't and stick to old notions.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
yup, I second this..

My several spares are always in rotation, after a while I take the ones in the charger and set aside to be taken in order and reload the charger as I go.. some batteries can spend weeks in my charger before I switch over, but that's because the spares are for my single battery mods mostly, as my dual are all charged via the mod directly at night (as I rotate my mods too)...

God as my witness, I shall never have a dead mod again!

There are times my batteries go straight from the charger into a MOD and not in the cases like when I get up in the AM after they stopped charging during the night.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Barring not using a set of hot batteries fresh out of a charger, the point is that even if your cross all the t's and dot all the i's, if something can go wrong it will.

Also, as far as not using a usb port for charging a mod, unless said mod is single battery, or has a built in lipo, OR has balanced charging, it's better for the batteries to be taken out and charged in a standalone charger, as many a mod manufacturer state.

Now, now, I haven't had anything go wrong in weeks. Maybe.;)

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada

My mods are either single or parallel... tested and double checked and it's all good.

Manufacturers would NOT have the option to charge within the mod should it not be "trustable".. should it be an issue, they'd be risking a lawsuit that could bankrupt them.

At this point, it's more a question of letting go the old notions.... they are as valid as the car myths about that magical water carburetor and such.

Reactions: SteveS45

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
Well, trustable or otherwise, I personally take the cautious approach when charging lithium ion batteries. I'll trust a standalone charger for those batteries before I use a usb port to do the same. I suppose most have those ports and charging abilities for use in a pinch, when you have no other option (other than higher end DNA/Yihi/Omni board mods that have true balanced charging) It has more to do with the chemistry of said batteries and the dangers of using imbalanced lithium ion batteries than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread