charger question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
You've never had kids use your USB devices in an IT situation. If it doesn't fit, they get frustrated and force it when the correct move was to push gently and wiggle slightly. :)

I agree that most adults are respectful with electronic devices. USB ports, especially micro USB ports, are best used gently. The tiny PC board inside will crack and break off.

That is abuse or incorrect use

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
That is abuse or incorrect use

True, but people get frustrated and take it out on devices. It's the reason there's repair shops popping up for phones and tablets. Broken displays and USB ports are pretty common. YouTube is full of How-To videos for that sort of thing.

There's one of those shops not too far from me. They have a big sign in the window: "Screens replaced as low as $98". I bought a display screen on Ebay for under $20 for my nephew's 10" Samsung tablet and replaced it myself. The guitar picks and lever tools came in the box. Hair Dryer not included!

Last edited:

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
True, but people get frustrated and take it out on devices. It's the reason there's repair shops popping up for phones and tablets. Broken displays and USB ports are pretty common. YouTube is full of How-To videos for that sort of thing.

Again that is improper use. In my post I said I have changed more main boards in printers from the USB cable being yanked when they moved the printer. Network cables also because they won't pull out.

Reactions: Eskie

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Again that is improper use. In my post I said I have changed more main boards in printers from the USB cable being yanked when they moved the printer. Network cables also because they won't pull out.

Sure, it's abuse, but it's also real world. I'm a Cisco network engineer grad and retired tech rep. I saw it all in my 36 year career. You take a call and deal with what you find. If it's chargeable abuse you bill them for it even if it's under contract. Most of the time you just fix it and go on the the next call.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
So you will agree that a USB port or cable just don't wear out. Connectors do not rip out of a MOD because it was used properly.

Do we have to continue on about this? Abuse IS what causes that type of failure. I think I covered that sufficiently in my previous posts.

Reactions: beckdg

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Haha, good point!

I'm not paranoid about it at all. I just always read they shouldn't be left charging when nobody was around, and avoid it if possible.

That's more the point that even just sitting on a counter, a battery can always be dangerous, it can be quite spontaneous should there be a chemical breakdown.

And honestly, this "advise" is more from 20 years ago, way before the tech that we have now, OR if you're using crappy ultra cheap crap.

But the Nitecore chargers have a very good track record for a very long time now.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
So you will agree that a USB port or cable just don't wear out. Connectors do not rip out of a MOD because it was used properly.

Do we have to continue on about this? Abuse IS what causes that type of failure. I think I covered that sufficiently in my previous posts.
It's obviously abuse, as it's not how the ports are intended to be used, but it IS how they are commonly used and abused. So, if you know people are going to abuse the ports, even if you tell them not to, you can reduce wear on the port by removing the batteries to charge them. Of course that introduces wear in other areas. The only reason I can think to be concerned with the state of the port would be if that is the only means for updating firmware. If you can charge either way, but can only update one way, you might want to protect that one way. But.... again, I don't use regulated mods, so I'm just spit balling.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
:banana::banana:Wait I have batteries charging and I need to go out should I hire a battery sitter? :banana::banana:

The next level of mods.. no more batteries...
crank.jpg

:pervy:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

You have people in a controlled environment and under the thumb of management where you work. They are trained to call IT when something doesn't work.

It's the USB handheld devices that get plugged and unplugged constantly for charging. That's the point I made initially. A printer typically gets unplugged when it's moved. It's handheld devices that take the abuse.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I don't care if it a controlled environment or a hand held electronic device if the USB port breaks it is USER Error.
Is it? Or is it a design flaw to make something that you know will fail when people use it in the way that you know people are going to use it, even if you tell them not to?

(What are we even arguing about?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread