Children and E-Cigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I hate that media argument...using the logic of banning something because kids get their hands on it...well, goodbye alcohol and tobacco cigarettes..seriously, the dumbest thing ever
When all other lies fail ...
They always waive the flag ... "Save the Children"

Liars love to hide behind the Flag and Children

Our elected officials do the same thing
when they can't push their agendas through Congress.
See my signature

phalaeo

Jan 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
0% nicotine vaping sounds like it's harmless, but so is snorting an inert substance (as in fake ....... scenes in the movies), and you wouldn't let your kid do that, would you? It's a fine line thinking about how kids model their behaviour.

If they started smoking behind my back and wanted to quit? Yes, I guess I would reluctantly support it.

You say you would make sure they didn't smoke to begin with... Now, I'm not trying to be a jerk here (really), but do you have kids? I'm not saying you have no right to an opinion if you don't, but I'm curious how you would ensure they never, ever started smoking?

I'm asking because your post reminds me of my own smoking experiences. When I was really little, probably about 7 or 8, we learned about the dangers of smoking in school. I came home and hid my mother's cigarettes, which got me in some deep **** with her. I drew pictures about how I didn't want her to die. I complained every single time she lit up with me in the car. And to this day I still don't remember why, but at 13.... I picked up my first cigarette.

And to be honest-- she was (and still is, lol) a very observant mother who laid down clear rules. Although I don't remember why I smoked that first one, I'll always remember the look on her face the first time she caught me smoking. At the time, I was scared and annoyed. Now I can see how much heartache I must have caused her. :(

Bookworm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
USA
I wish vaping was around when I was in high school. I started smoking on a regular basis by 15, and was up to a pack a day by the time I had my first job at 16. Would have been nice to have an alternative.

Just a disclaimer, I don't think kids or teenagers should smoke or vape. But some do. Even some of us with great parents who were punished every time they were caught (I was). The punishments made no difference, but vaping might have.

Last edited:

corruption42

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
In my own little world
The differences in opinion here seem to be easily chocked up to how old the respective poster is. The more leaning towards 'let the kid choose' seem to be the younger crowd, and the older, more seasoned crowd seems to look at it with a bit more understanding.

Not to disparage someone who's quit -- everyone should be celebrated for their victories -- but 4-5 years at a half pack a day is barely the starting point for most the older crowd here. I was nearing 20 years myself, and I'm only 31.

That said, I'm with Zapped and others on this one. I WAS the rebellious teen who was caught, and told, not to smoke. I understand the perspective and mindset, however, at a young period and early into smoking, you haven't really developed all the nervous tic's of a smoker. The full hand-mouth fixation hasn't been fully developed, and you haven't gotten to a raging habit yet typically. Theres still a chance for the alternative methods to work: cold turkey, the patch, gum. Will it work every time? Probably not. Will it stop kids from smoking? Probably not. But that doesn't mean you should further drive the hand to mouth oral fixation addiction, which IMO is the hardest driver of the addiction to cigs, at least for me.

cherrycakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Scranton, PA
does anyone actually think that vaping looks cool?

If I was a parent, which I am not, I would let them vape to help them quit smoking.
because they're just going to smoke behind your back.
I remember being a teenager and bumming cigarettes off of people.

and as for making your kid go cold turkey I wouldn't recommend it.
I was forced to and it was HELL. I was already depressed and it made me borderline suicidal.
And I started smoking when I was 15.

I also tried gum/inhalers, they just gave me a nicotine high and made me sick

Last edited:

cherrycakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Scranton, PA
I'm asking because your post reminds me of my own smoking experiences. When I was really little, probably about 7 or 8, we learned about the dangers of smoking in school. I came home and hid my mother's cigarettes, which got me in some deep **** with her. I drew pictures about how I didn't want her to die. I complained every single time she lit up with me in the car. And to this day I still don't remember why, but at 13.... I picked up my first cigarette.

This is a lot like me- I used to beg my mother to quit smoking.
Then I guess I hit puberty/teenage years and started stealing her cigs, and my friend's mom's cigs.
My mom smoked virginia slims.
My friend's mom smoked Dorals.
SOOO nasty.

woofpuppy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
www.youtube.com
I came from a family of smokers. I smoked my first cigarette when I was 8 years old. By the time I was in junior high I was buying my own rather than snatching them here and there from adults not paying attention. When I was in 10th grade my parents let me smoke openly. (granted this was a long time ago) I would not do the same with my kid, even with e-cigs. I have a 10 year old and I have never vaped in front of her. I don't even think she knows, or if she does she doesn't understand what I'm doing. She's seen my 808 a handful times and I told her it was a fancy pen when she asked what it was. She only asked the one time. I know she's never seen my other equipment, and my juice lab is locked up in the basement, and she's afraid of the basement so I'm not worried she'll ever stumble onto my hiding place. Like anything with rearing children, it's the example we set as adults that has the most impact. "Do as I say and not as I do" is total BS imho. I'm probably going to get beat up for this, but if parents vape in front of their children, don't be surprised if they end up doing it themselves... especially if you explain the health benefits being better than smoking. That just makes it sound totally OK. When I hear my kid coming I pocket or hide what I'm vaping because it's not OK for me to set the example that inhaling foreign substances into the lungs is OK.

AngelsBreath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Alabama, United States
Okay, I'm probably going to take some heat for this but...when my daughter was about 8 I think, she loved to watch me smoke, she was just so into it. Well, that bothered me greatly, one day she asked if she could try it, she had asked many times before but of course I said absolutely not. Well, I got a wild hair and decided that this might just cure her. I let her have a puff, the child, bless her heart coughed and spewed and got so sick. Moral of my story, my daughter is now 28 and is very grateful to me for giving her that chance and she tells everyone that because of that she would never even dream of picking up a cigarette. Maybe it's tough love, people aren't allowed to give tough love to their kids anymore and maybe that's what's wrong with them today. I have two wonderful children, both adults now and neither of them smoke or do drugs, I am grateful for my 'wild hair'!

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
There have been a lot of studies on this, which I won't exhaustively paste here. They largely show:

Do Parents Matter? August 17, 1998 ANNALS OF BEHAVIOR

But if parents really cause smoking there ought to be elevated rates of smoking among the adopted children of smokers, and there aren't.

It turns out that nicotine addiction is heavily influenced by genes, and the reason that so many children of smokers smoke is that they have inherited a genetic susceptibility to tobacco from their parents.

David C. Rowe, a professor of family studies at the University of Arizona (whose academic work on the limits of family influence Harris says was critical to her own thinking), has analyzed research into this genetic contribution, and he concludes that it accounts entirely for the elevated levels of cigarette use among the children of smokers. With smoking, as with niceness, what parents do seems to be nearly irrelevant.

Coffin22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
If they aren't vaping to fit in, they'd be smoking to fit in. Case closed. Regulate the age of sale and be done, some will slip through the cracks but it won't be any less effective than deterring them from cigarettes. You can only do so much. Banning something that children may use is not a reason, look at alcohol, cigarettes, etc. Reality is clear, teens and younger use these. They are regulated. The system is imperfect and will forever be so.

MrGimp

ECF Veteran
Personally I don't think the government should be involved in child raising and parenting at all. Ok laws to keep children as people from getting abused assaulted and taken advantage of are one thing and we already have those.
I mean would I allow my under 18 child to use vaping to quit smoking?
At 16 Maybe below that NO and even at 16 I would likely structure a plan to make sure that they were off both In a month. And no vaping at school or other BS like that..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Interesting thread. I am in both camps. A minor who is addicted, is just that, a person who is addicted, no matter the age. The important thing is not making them quit, but helping them quit. I woould lay out every way to quit and let him/ her make their own choice as to what they feel would help them to quit. If they were already vaping to quit, i wouldnt interfere, because theyve already made a decision to quit smoking. I would be open to hearing their goals and offering assistance, research, guidance and most of all my love and support to help them through to the other side. I would set rules, as in no vaping in the house ir car, only in their room. Lockboxes for supplies.
I started at age 10, Addicted since 11. I wish vaping would have been around, instead of cigarettes, i would have quit smoking by 13. I wasnt attracted because of colors or flavors, i was attracted to feeling mature.
At 15 i got caught. It wasnt a huge deal, everybody smoked back then. My friend got caught and ran away from home after her Dad make her chain smoke a carton of smokes overnight. She didnt quit smoking then or now. She puked, yes, but didnt quit. She became more angry and rebellious is all.
Iver the years my Mom & I tried quitting together so many times we both totally gave up trying at all. She started smoking in her 20's, died in her 50's. I started at 10 and am a decade past her and found vaping.
There is no one size fits all, except love.

tapatypo

This is a crazy topic, and one that I've thought about myself quite a lot. I have 3 kids, oldest is 15, and youngest is 2. I try not to openly vape in front of the younger ones. I still vape in from of my 15-year old. As a kid in school he got the whole spiel of "This is why you shouldn't smoke" and he mentioned to me multiple times that he doesn't like my smoking. I let him see my PV, and see me using it just to let him know that I have quit smoking the analogs. I do not want him to start smoking or vaping, but both his mom and dad have smoked, throughout his whole life, so I also kind of expect him to try smoking (if he hasn't already). If he does start on analogs, I would almost certainly try to get him onto vaping as an alternative. I'm not saying we should let our kids vape, but bottom-line, vaping is not as harmful as analogs. I would prefer vapor to 2nd hand analog smoke.

This brings me to another question I asked my wife just the other day: How would you feel about kids (read teenagers) vaping 0 nic juice? Since there is no 'drugs' just common ingredients and flavor, this almost completely removes the moral conundrum we are all talking about in this thread.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
When I think about how I was as a teen and how well making me do things they didn't want me doing worked, I'm pretty sure I'd have to reconsider vaping or something as an alternative.

In my case, my parents COULD NOT stop me from doing ANYTHING. Ever. The harder they tried to restrict me, the more impossible I made it for them to do so, to the point of actually leaving home.

Perhaps had they tried different tacks...I don't know. All I know is that I would do what I WANTED and that was the end of it, regardless of the roadblocks they attempted to put in my path. Fortunately, it was only stuff that was dangerous to me alone that was what I wanted to do and not anything that would harm anyone else...lol

It's a tough subject, to be sure, but the fact remains that actual cigarettes themselves are going to be easier for kids to get. Vaping requires quite a bit more money and seeking out of equipment/juices/etc.

No, I don't believe they should be freely sold to minors but most minors are going to find it somewhat difficult to obtain what they need for vaping. I'm picturing groups of kids passing a PV around like a b:censored:g. Perhaps better than cigarettes, maybe?

Last edited:

Jcdew67

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2013
Nashville,TN
I started smoking at 12 years old. My dad whipped my ... many,many times.Put me on restriction many times also but it did not stop me from it. My parents did the best they could and are great,loving Parents .Would I buy it for them no,would I let them vape mine,no but you can only watch your child so much and unless your child is not very smart good luck catching them everytime.
If they had smoked I would rather them vape than smoke if I had no choice.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
All kind of a moot point, if you ask me, because the whole "let's do it for the kids" is just a smokescreen. Government wants additional tax income and Big Pharma wants to protect their NRT income. Both would throw a child under a bus if you paid them $1 to do it.

Exactly. They're more upset about the next generation NOT being addicted than anything. The stories about minors experimenting with zero nic have the ANTZ so riled up they could spit vinegar.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
All kind of a moot point, if you ask me, because the whole "let's do it for the kids" is just a smokescreen. Government wants additional tax income and Big Pharma wants to protect their NRT income. Both would throw a child under a bus if you paid them $1 to do it.

so true!

And I agree with Uma, too. Zero nic! OMG!!! Now just whom are those ANTZ going to hate when those kids grow up and happily vape 0 nic with a little food flavoring, eh? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread