CHIT CHAT in VOLTVILLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tail11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2012
nor cal
No need to digress into the shadows Tail11, you are definately not intruding. I felt the same way and within a couple of days I felt right at home here. Only one fox chasing this wabbit on the forum (you all know who that is :laugh:). You fit in rightalong with old wabbit. I was in the Navy during Vietnam and never saw sea time. I was stationed in Norfolk Va. on the Admiral's staff of Carrier Division 5. I also have a wicked dry wit as you have seen. As for a Harley, well I wish. I have always been a custom car fan and have rebuilt several from junk in years past. Just too old and creaky to do that anymore.

Have a good New Years Eve everyone. Hope for no hangovers tomorrow.

Thanks Rabbit! Good to see another Navy vet on the forum! There are a few guys in my mom and pop club that are car enthusiasts too. I love to see a car that has been saved from the wreckage pile!

My motorcycle has given me new life. Throwing the leg over the bike and hearing it roar tends to be the stress reliever for me. I tend to forget about stress and anything that is bothering me.

No hangovers here. I'm going to a friends house for a few hours to visit. Plan on taking my big jug of water and a Dr Pepper!

Konstantine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2012
Greece
www.niquidtest.com

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY

marlou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
SW Ohio
I decided to take a break and check in with Voltville to see how everyone is doing and to get the latest news. The break was needed after bathing and clipping my dog, Emma. She's pretty small but it takes me forever to cut down her coat. But now I can see her eyes again, she looks nice and clean, and smells a lot better too!

All of the posts were so enjoyable to read. I too feel like I'm visiting family when I come here. This sub-forum has become a second home to me, particularly this Chit Chat thread.

This old gal is staying home tonight, but in honor of the new year I'll have 2 drinks instead of my usual limit of 1. I have a very low alcohol tolerance and don't like to get wasted. It's the loss of control thing. lol Before I get off here to finish up my chores and fix supper, I want to wish everyone a very......

very......

Happy New Year!

I hope you younguns (and not so younguns too) have a real good time tonight. Later I may check back in to see if anyone's around here tonight.

Tail11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2012
nor cal
I'm either a really good gardener or a really lousy one! I was just in the back yard and had to share my lemons with you! I have a dwarf lemon tree that always produces huge fruit. This year it produced 3 lemons! I grabbed a store bought lemon to show the size difference. The one still attached to the tree is much larger.

100_3307.jpg 100_3308.jpg

The rind is very thick, so I'm getting about 3 mid size lemons out of one big one.

Moonstruck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2009
Colorado
oh I hate having to make choices.. debating now on what to buy.. to buy another manual battery (SI of course, i cant complain bout the 1st one i got, why would i look else where for an 808 battery).. but looking at some other stuff (non-SI) I know thats a sin :p but the only way to find wwhat you want/life is to test the makert.... I dunno what to do, what to do... blah.. :/

Hi, Yokymo, it's def. not a sin; it's just shopping with wisdom, right? ;) I shop at Walmart & Target, but I also shop online a lot. I get my batteries & clearos from SI, but I buy other items from other vendors. It's perfectly OK to buy elsewhere as long as it keeps you a happy vaper. :2c:

o.o;;; Seems like I've been away for awhile, did you miss me? :D

Happy birthday to those that I've missed, (Debra and Catlady right?) i skimmed over it the other day on my phone and can't seem to find the page right now :(

Happy new years ever everyone!

I've had major success in the vaping world, i found a strawberry at a smoke shop, little pricey, but very very tasty!!!!
I have watermelon and blueberry from Volt and Niquid, respectively, on the way to my house right now!

However i am out of town with my family to see my mother, which explains my absence, and i will be unable to taste them till tuesday night. :(

I hope all of you have a very happy new year, and dont party to hard! ;p

I don't think we've met before. I've been around ECF since 2009, but I left for about a year. When I came back in October, I kind of settled in here at SI. So I just want to say hi. And Happy New Year to you, too!

Tail and Moon...I want to say a sincere thank you to both of you for your service. You both went into the Armed Forces at a time when women weren't as welcome as today, not that things are perfect today. My chauvinism makes me want to keep women out of harms way, but my logic says differently. Maybe you both have made a contribution beyond just serving, I'd like to think so.

Warm cinnamon rolls sound great, thanks Lizzie!

Thank you, Awsum. And Lizzie, all this talk of cinnamon rolls makes me want to make some. Or vape some. Dang, that's one flavor I haven't ordered yet.

Here's a Happy New Year video. The song isn't exactly my style, but the fireworks are great. Happy New Year 2013 Fireworks - Frohes Neues Jahr [HD] - YouTube

Thanks Sandy, I really enjoyed that and emailed it to my sister.

abracadebra wrote:

This is the dreaded Kittishark (genus: felis grindum buttkus)! It looks like a normal kitty in the water, but that's how it lures you to the edge of the boat. "Awww such a nice kitty! How did you fall in the water?" Then the teeth come out and...(insert sound of running chainsaw here)...AAAAGGGHHH.

:shock: :evil: :danger:

LOL!

Fish

Fishman, if I ever saw that thing out in the open water, I'd probably die from heart failure. :evil: But it's a really cool avatar.

AND LAUGH AT 2012--- A LOT

Three retirees, each with a hearing loss, were playing golf one fine March day. One remarked to the other, "Windy, isn't it?" "No," the second man replied, "it's Thursday." And the third man chimed in, "So am I. Let's have a beer."

Wabbit, you kwack me up! :lol:

Here's a video from Weird Al, and it's outrageous but funny. At least I think so. Perform This Way (Parody of "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga) - YouTube
I hope it gives you some New Year's chuckles, too.

Sandy, what have you been drinking, girl? (Just kidding -- this was toooooooooooo funny!)

FOR ALL MY VOLTIE FRIENDS, NEW AND OLD:

002.jpg

Tail11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2012
nor cal
Hi, Yokymo, it's def. not a sin; it's just shopping with wisdom, right? ;) I shop at Walmart & Target, but I also shop online a lot. I get my batteries & clearos from SI, but I buy other items from other vendors. It's perfectly OK to buy elsewhere as long as it keeps you a happy vaper. :2c:

I think the small businesses are happy to have the sales. Variety is the spice of life! I do however, always try to keep going back to those vendors that have treated me well. SI is certainly one of them. I've bought all my intermediate stuff from them, and might venture out to a VV batt one of these days. But for now, I've found what I need from SI and happily vaping away!

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Today I visited Penny. She had her winter blanket on, and I wasn't sure if I could remove it and then put it back on after grooming her, since my arm still doesn't reach up very well. I can strain and get it to about shoulder height. Heather was there, and she took the blanket off, but when I was finished grooming Penny, I got it on by myself, rather than asking for help. Penny is a very good, cooperative horse, so she makes it easy. I even cleaned Penny's hooves out today -- a first since the accident. Not that there was much to clean out, since we still have snow on the ground. But I did it. My left hand always supports the hoof while my right hand uses the hoof pick, so it worked well. Also, Penny being such a good horse, she holds her feet up and doesn't put her weight into the lifted foot, nor does she try to pull it away. That makes it easy.

Heather & Shelly, 2 of the barn owner's teenagers, thanked me for the Christmas gift I gave them. It was for the whole family. I got them a selection of horse movies and a box of microwave popcorn to go with the movies. They said they watched The Black Stallion and liked it a lot. That's one of my favorites, too. The first part of the movie has the boy and the horse shipwrecked together on a desert island, and that part is absolutely beautiful, every horse lover's dream! For a sample, see The Black Stallion 01 - YouTube Way back when this movie first came out, I saw it at the NY Film Festival. Kelly Reno, the actor who played the boy, was in the audience, and when the movie was finished, everyone applauded enthusiastically, and he stood up from his seat and took a bow.

I think The Black Stallion is one of the movies that I can say is better than the book. Walter Farley, the book's author, made some errors (or just didn't care about facts) and had The Black, an Arabian, racing against Thoroughbreds, something the Jockey Club doesn't allow. All TB racing is done by registered TBs. Well, in the movie, they explained it by having a special match race. You can do what you want if you can get the track to agree to it. Sure, it's unlikely that an Arabian could beat one of the best TB racehorses, but I guess it's possible. Another thing that irritated me as a kid reading Walter Farley's books is that not only did The Black compete in TB races, but he sired Standardbred foals who raced in trotting races! Aargh! Even as a young kid I had read enough about horses to know that isn't the way it works.

Another really neat touch is that Micky Rooney played the old man who was the horse trainer. There was one scene where the boy asked him about his past as a horse trainer, and for a moment, the camera focused on a picture in the tack room showing Micky Rooney and Liz Taylor in National Velvet. (I also gave them a copy of that movie, hoping they would see that connection on their own, but they haven't watched National Velvet yet, so I told them about the picture and told them if they see The Black Stallion again to watch for that picture after seeing National Velvet.) I love these neat little touches in movies. This movie is very well done on all levels. If you know a horse-crazy kid who hasn't seen it, please make sure that kid does watch it.

And speaking of things movies get wrong, I was outraged as a kid that The Pi was a chestnut in the movie National Velvet. In the book, he was a piebald, a black-and-white spotted horse, which is why he was called The Pi. BTW, the book was illustrated by Paul Brown, who did a lot of horse illustrations in books of that era. His work was unique and instantly recognizable. I liked his work, but my favorite illustrator was C.W. Anderson. So lifelike!

Enough horse trivia for today. Enjoy your New Year's Eve. I'll be checking in from time to time, since I'm not going anywhere. Those of us at home can party together here.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
I'm either a really good gardener or a really lousy one! I was just in the back yard and had to share my lemons with you! I have a dwarf lemon tree that always produces huge fruit. This year it produced 3 lemons! I grabbed a store bought lemon to show the size difference. The one still attached to the tree is much larger.

View attachment 165199 View attachment 165200

The rind is very thick, so I'm getting about 3 mid size lemons out of one big one.

So neat! When I lived in CA for a few years, seeing oranges and lemons actually growing on trees was a wonder to me. I knew someone who had a lemon tree in her front yard, and there were lemons all over the ground like you might find apples under an apple tree in a yard in this area where I live now. I was all gung-ho to pick up all the lemons and take them home. She could only use so many and was leaving the others to rot in the grass of the yard!

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Sandy, what have you been drinking, girl? (Just kidding -- this was toooooooooooo funny!)

FOR ALL MY VOLTIE FRIENDS, NEW AND OLD:

View attachment 165202

Hee, hee, nothing at that point. I can be weird stone-cold sober. But in celebration tonight, in spite of not going anywhere and getting in a car wreck, I'm having some Merlot (red wine) I got for Christmas. Clink! Happy new year, everyone!

Tail11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2012
nor cal
So neat! When I lived in CA for a few years, seeing oranges and lemons actually growing on trees was a wonder to me. I knew someone who had a lemon tree in her front yard, and there were lemons all over the ground like you might find apples under an apple tree in a yard in this area where I live now. I was all gung-ho to pick up all the lemons and take them home. She could only use so many and was leaving the others to rot in the grass of the yard!

It was amazing to me too when I moved here. I knew I wanted to plant a citrus or two. I was thrilled when I found a nursery that carried blood orange trees. I loved those when I lived in Italy. My tree is a great producer, although this type doesn't produce the big oranges that I love. It's fun to watch people peeling them open to see a deep red inside. They think the orange has gone bad! Looking forward to having some fresh orange juice in a couple of weeks!

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
It was amazing to me too when I moved here. I knew I wanted to plant a citrus or two. I was thrilled when I found a nursery that carried blood orange trees. I loved those when I lived in Italy. My tree is a great producer, although this type doesn't produce the big oranges that I love. It's fun to watch people peeling them open to see a deep red inside. They think the orange has gone bad! Looking forward to having some fresh orange juice in a couple of weeks!

I first found out about blood oranges in Turkey, when I lived there for 6 months back in 1971. Now you can find them in grocery stores here sometimes. They are so sweet, compared with normal oranges, just like pink grapefruit is sweeter than the usual yellow kind. Another thing I found interesting about citrus fruits in Turkey and then in CA was that they get fruit in winter. Here, nothing blooms in winter. You get blossoms in spring, and over summer they develop into fruit in late summer or fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread