CHIT CHAT in VOLTVILLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

abracadebra

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
Queensland banana bender land of OZ
oh my aching head:ohmy:...talk about party....I danced till 3am...:rickroll:...my friends house is a fun house he is into pin ball machines...has about 15..of them...it was was like being at game house you pay to get into..great tunes...I lasted longer then the young ones...Ive only had 2 hours sleep...just got home.....these new boots I was wearing....have given me a huge blister on my heel....size of a aussie 50 cent coin....so ive had pain killers...2 litres of water...long shower..........and ive just popped in to say a quick hi to all....got the air con on high....a pair of ear plugs....alice is being baby sittered:laugh:mummy needs to go to sleep...so happy new year....everyone.........I ve brought the new year in....big time........catch you all later..............big yawns....bye bye

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
oh my aching head:ohmy:...talk about party....I danced till 3am...:rickroll:...my friends house is a fun house he is into pin ball machines...has about 15..of them...it was was like being at game house you pay to get into..great tunes...I lasted longer then the young ones...Ive only had 2 hours sleep...just got home.....these new boots I was wearing....have given me a huge blister on my heel....size of a aussie 50 cent coin....so ive had pain killers...2 litres of water...long shower..........and ive just popped in to say a quick hi to all....got the air con on high....a pair of ear plugs....alice is being baby sittered:laugh:mummy needs to go to sleep...so happy new year....everyone.........I ve brought the new year in....big time........catch you all later..............big yawns....bye bye

It sounds like you had fun. I hope the blisters aren't too bad. Wear sandals that don't rub that spot till they heal. Good night Debra, and have a happy new year, which has probably passed for you, though it's still to come for me.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Ever seen the aurora borealis, aka, the northern lights? I have a couple of times. The first I remember is when I was very little, and my parents were driving home from visiting somewhere out in the country, and on a dark, lonely country road, they stopped and pulled over to see them. I was sleeping in the backseat of the car, and I woke up and saw them, too.

Then when I was about 12, I spent a summer on a dairy farm near Rochester, NY. The farmer milked the cows at 4 a.m. and 4 p.m. every day, and I decided to participate, so I got up at 4 in the morning. How I did this was to go to bed really early the night before, hear the farmer's alarm clock go off, wait till I heard him get out of the bathroom, then sneak down to the barn in the dark of night to help with milking. One evening (or should I say early morning) I went to the barn, and it seemed lighter than normal. Like a full moon, but it wasn't. Usually I stumbled over ruts in the driveway, but this morning, my way was clear. I was too busy watching my step to look up. When I got to the barn, the farmer was milking, and my job was to take the full buckets up to the milk house and pour them into the cooler. Between when the electric milkers were done, the farmer and I stood looking out the end of the barn where the manure conveyor belt took the manure to a manure spreader, and we looked up. The northern lights were amazing! I never saw them so clear and big. They were like white flames reaching from the horizon to the center of the sky. They wavered and flickered. I was entranced, and I think the farmer was, too. Between taking buckets of milk to the cooler, I kept going back to the end of the barn and checking on the northern lights. As dawn came, they faded, but you could still see them in the early light. I have never seen them so clear and beautiful as that night in the barn. I wish I could see them again.

Aurora Borealis timelapse HD on Vimeo and The aurora borealis and the coming Solar Maximum | Earth | EarthSky

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
More food for thought. I just finished reading a book by Temple Grandin. Ever hear of her? She's a high-functioning autistic person who has designed better facilities to slaughter cattle more humanely. She attributes her abilities to being autistic, thus seeing the world more like animals do than like humans do. I think this is interesting, since I'm also into seeing the world as horses do, and a lot of what she said about cattle pertains to horses, too. They are both prey animals, and they easily get startled by something unfamiliar in their environment, for instance. If you want to see an interview with her, go to Welcome to Temple Grandin's Official Autism Website

I think I may have some autistic characteristics, too. Or maybe everyone does? I think in pictures a lot. When I saw Kon's fireworks videos, I thought how so many of them mimicked natural things like flowers and sperm. I wondered if this design was conscious or not. I think of a lot of off-the-wall things like that. I like to think like horses do in order to better understand them and handle them. A lot of the communication horses use is nonverbal, so I stand at the edge of a pasture and watch them interact and how they communicate. I find this fascinating stuff, as good as watching a soap opera on TV. Better, even. And my education has never been even. I was really good at English, good at science, and really poor at math. History never inspired me, either, since so much of it was memorizing dates when something happened. I think my mental block about numbers came into play here. Dates were meaningless to me. As Temple Grandin says about many autistic people, I think I have more artistic talent than most. I probably could have been talented musically, too, if it hadn't been made boring to me. I think sometimes it's not so much the subject matter but how it's taught. I remember in 10th grade, after having failed math pretty consistently since 2nd grade, we suddenly got an experimental plane geometry class where there were no numbers involved, just relations of angles and lines with each other. We learned postulates and theorems and then applied them to solving problems. Suddenly, it was like puzzles, not like math, and I was getting A's!

Back in Calif., I volunteered at a therapeutic riding program. This particular place let the volunteers participate a lot with the kids, not like another place I volunteered, where I just led the horse. There was one small child I worked with, an autistic boy. He seemed to be about 2, and he was physically adept, though he was terribly distracted and unfocused. His mother told me he ran wild around the house and climbed on all sorts of furniture, willy-nilly. She had trouble controlling him. We put him on a horse and I was a sidewalker, which meant I was right next to him while he rode, holding him on the horse. After he got used to being on the horse, we tried trotting a little, a slow, easy trot. I decided to teach him to post, so I grabbed his belt in back of him and lifted him up and said, "Up," and when I let him back down, I said, "Down." He seemed to like this, so week after week we did it. Soon, he decided he liked trotting, and if we were walking, he's say, sort of slurred, "Up, down, up, down," which meant he wanted to trot and post. As I read Temple Grandin's book and thought about him, I think that grasping his belt might have provided comfort, like the squeezing autistics seem to like. And the rhythmic up and down probably was a lot like rocking in a chair, which comforts autistics, too. This boy was nonverbal, but he learned to say, "Up, down." I wonder what has become of him now. Did those riding lessons help him integrate into the world?

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Well, I'm not sure I can make it till midnight to wish you all a happy new year. Besides, my 12:00 won't be most people's anyway. So I think I'll do my physical therapy exercises (sigh!) and go to bed. Those who are still up, enjoy your evening. Best wishes for a new year. Here's hoping especially that Blues gets out of the hospital soon and he and Rave can be reunited. Also vibes going out to Holly and anyone else who's feeling under the weather. Happy new year, folks!

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
NewYearTom.jpg

I know. I know. Those who've been around awhile know that I used this one last year. I've had my hands full lately. This is Tom (clever name for a turkey, huh? :rolleyes: He's a wild turkey that thought that our front deck was his exclusive domain for awhile.

Rave, glad to hear the Blues is holding his own. If he's not getting worse, and he's resting, he's bound to be getting better, no? When he was perking up (before the infection), what was the reason you guys couldn't have even a brief phone conversation?

Well, as of today - He's still on oxygen and the IV drip. He's talking, but not much. It's going to take some time. This man has a will of iron, and he'll make it back; but he needs time to heal.

CatLady - we didn't talk on the phone because we both really hate to talk on the phone. With us - it seems like we are freer and more open conversing in text.

Isn't it something how the end of the year comes around and we stop to remember people and things, some long ago, some more recent? I suppose the year's end is like a chapter closing and we get a fresh start.

Well I'm in that frame of mind today and makes me want to share a poem that I find especially inspiring and helpful. I have this printed out and also have a little card I keep in my wallet to pull out and read when I find myself getting too wound up. Anyway here it is, hope you like it.

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

© Max Ehrmann 1927

Thanks QRXT. Always good to read that again. It gets better each time, and improves with age.

Ah, the close of the year. I love this picture! Happy New Years a little early everyone!

View attachment 164989

I stole the pic, and now it's on my desktop. Thanks!! :)

So I feel like I've stumbled upon a secret family meeting when I enter this forum. I'm sorry that I don't share a wealth of info about my daily life. It is actually quite boring. But, I'll tell you a bit about me if that will help to break the ice. I'm originally from West Virginia and yes, I did have a southern drawl about my voice. I spent 11 years in the US Navy. I've been around the world - via plane of course. Being a woman, when I joined, we weren't allowed on ships. That changed later on in my career, but my specialty kept me at large Naval stations so I never saw sea time.

I live in the central valley of Northern California with my Min Pin - Whisper. We ride on my Harley-Davidson together whenever we get a chance. Whisper is my kid. I don't have human kids or spouse. She is my life line and my best friend.

Back to the Harley - which is my real passion. I have a 2012 Road Glide Custom. I have a special dog carrier for Whisper who rides on the back seat behind me. We are planning a trip to New Mexico next year. Whisper has been riding with me since she was a pup, and doesn't get scared. She loves motorcycling and if she hears a bike, she always looks. She's very smart around the bikes and always avoids the hot parts. She's been to Arizona - Grand Canyon with me and she's itching to go on another vacation!

I am a vegan. I've heard all of the jokes, but you can amuse me if you want. I chose to do this because I saw my father die of Alzheimer's disease. From what I've read, going strict vegan greatly reduces your chances of getting this horrible disease.

I have run marathons and completed a full Ironman triathlon in 2003. I had quit smoking a few years before all of this happened. I started smoking again when my mother went into the hospital and I had to fly back to WV to move my parents out of their home in 5 days by myself. It was stressful enough to bring me back to smoking, dealing with my father in his early stages of dementia and packing up their belongings.

I'm a little old fashioned and bohemian of sorts. My house is decorated in southwestern. I adore Native American pottery and used to collect it when I had a good paying job.

I work in the solid waste and recycling division for my city. Please make sure your old batteries go to a recycling center, the landfills aren't a great place for them. OK, I did my part for the environment, I'll get off my soap box now.

I have a wicked sense of humor and it can be dry at times. I try to remember proper e-etiquette, but if I slip, please don't jump to conclusions that I'm being mean or spiteful.

I love SI's products and service. That is what brought me here. I really don't want to get deep into the mods and like the kiss approach. I may end up buying more sophisticated goodies, but for now I'm happy with my X2's and T3's.

I hope you have learned a bit about me. I'm not trying to intrude, just trying to fit in. If that's not your bag, then that's ok. No hard feelings. Sorry for the long post. I'll digress into the shadows again...

Rock on vaper Volties!

Nice getting to know you better, Tail. First - thank you for your service. And yes, you did stumble into a family meeting. But, this is the kind of family where you can join in whenever you feel like it, or stand back and lurk when you don't. Either way is perfectly acceptable. I will say that I believe I can speak for the others and say that you are a welcome addition to our little family. Don't ever feel like you're intruding. We have an open door policy here. grouphugg.gif

Tail, don't feel funny posting, you won't find a nicer group of people than the people here! (Notice I didn't say normal, :p hehe) I have been lurking around for months and haven't posted very much about myself, or about anything really. Still, I pop in, more often lately, and say a few things then back to the lurker corner I go. I actually feel guilty sometimes that I am getting the benefit of all the posts everyone has taken the time to share and not contributing in return. I think it's a "whatever you are comfortable with" policy around here. Welcome to SI!

Hoping everyone enjoys New Years Eve and wakes up safe, sound, happy, healthy and whole on New Years Day!

Absolutely couldn't agree more. Talk when ya want. Read when ya don't wanna talk. It's all good here. But, I do like it when you talk QRXT. :)

I decided to take a break and check in with Voltville to see how everyone is doing and to get the latest news. The break was needed after bathing and clipping my dog, Emma. She's pretty small but it takes me forever to cut down her coat. But now I can see her eyes again, she looks nice and clean, and smells a lot better too!

All of the posts were so enjoyable to read. I too feel like I'm visiting family when I come here. This sub-forum has become a second home to me, particularly this Chit Chat thread.

This old gal is staying home tonight, but in honor of the new year I'll have 2 drinks instead of my usual limit of 1. I have a very low alcohol tolerance and don't like to get wasted. It's the loss of control thing. lol Before I get off here to finish up my chores and fix supper, I want to wish everyone a very......

very......

Happy New Year!

I hope you younguns (and not so younguns too) have a real good time tonight. Later I may check back in to see if anyone's around here tonight.

Have a drink for me, Marlou. I'd really like to break into the Rumple Minze 100 proof peppermint schnapp's that I have in the cupboard, but I don't dare with all the meds I'm on these days. I'd be kissin' tile!

:party:

I'm either a really good gardener or a really lousy one! I was just in the back yard and had to share my lemons with you! I have a dwarf lemon tree that always produces huge fruit. This year it produced 3 lemons! I grabbed a store bought lemon to show the size difference. The one still attached to the tree is much larger.

View attachment 165199 View attachment 165200

The rind is very thick, so I'm getting about 3 mid size lemons out of one big one.

WHOA!!!! That's a lemon?!?!

Well, I'm not sure I can make it till midnight to wish you all a happy new year. Besides, my 12:00 won't be most people's anyway. So I think I'll do my physical therapy exercises (sigh!) and go to bed. Those who are still up, enjoy your evening. Best wishes for a new year. Here's hoping especially that Blues gets out of the hospital soon and he and Rave can be reunited. Also vibes going out to Holly and anyone else who's feeling under the weather. Happy new year, folks!

That's my first wish for the new year too, Sandy.

Have a

Happy New Year Volties!!

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Glad you had a great time Debra, but sorry your shoes got to you, better than too much to drink. As I post this, it is still not 2013, so I am still stuck in last year. Mrs. Wabbit and I are just watching some TV, I am enjoying my Jim Beam Devil's Cut (Not worth the extra $ it cost over regular Jim Beam), and awaiting midnight. We both had looooong naps in order to stay up, and since she is still not feeling 100%, I grilled a nice steak on the grill. Here is hoping 2013 will bring us all closer together, caring more, sharing more and welcoming new friends to Voltville. View attachment 165305

abracadebra

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
No need to digress into the shadows Tail11, you are definately not intruding. I felt the same way and within a couple of days I felt right at home here. Only one fox chasing this wabbit on the forum (you all know who that is :laugh:). You fit in rightalong with old wabbit. I was in the Navy during Vietnam and never saw sea time. I was stationed in Norfolk Va. on the Admiral's staff of Carrier Division 5. I also have a wicked dry wit as you have seen. As for a Harley, well I wish. I have always been a custom car fan and have rebuilt several from junk in years past. Just too old and creaky to do that anymore.

Have a good New Years Eve everyone. Hope for no hangovers tomorrow.

who is this fox you speak of wabbit....:confused:

abracadebra

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
Glad you had a great time Debra, but sorry your shoes got to you, better than too much to drink. As I post this, it is still not 2013, so I am still stuck in last year. Mrs. Wabbit and I are just watching some TV, I am enjoying my Jim Beam Devil's Cut (Not worth the extra $ it cost over regular Jim Beam), and awaiting midnight. We both had looooong naps in order to stay up, and since she is still not feeling 100%, I grilled a nice steak on the grill. Here is hoping 2013 will bring us all closer together, caring more, sharing more and welcoming new friends to Voltville. View attachment 165305
there was to much of everything....it will take me days to get over this...:offtopic::offtopic::danger::danger::danger::shock::shock: but it was fun at the time:laugh:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
It amuses me that we talk a lot about sucking on the positive end of a battery !:facepalm: , but, it appears we are actually concerned about each other, our pets, and life in general. I saw where a lot of you have tried the T3s. I have been waiting for "opinions" because at first I avoided the Nano's, then the 2nd gen came out and when I tried them I find they are quite acceptable. I still prefer cartos for full flavor and vapor. I am thinking I will either build a box mod, or try the new VAMO, but I really don't think I need VW only VV. Do any of you have a VAMO? (Bamboo etc.). I would like an opinion from our little group.

I have two Vamos. I have been enjoying the Vamo a lot. Actually quite easy to use. You would need IMR batteries - AW, Efest or Panasonic. It takes 18650s or you can use it in shorty mode with an 18350. You can use 2x 18350 - but I'm not into battery stacking myself. Also a charger. The TR-001 chargers are ok, XStar and Pila are considered the best. A lot of people getting Vamos as their first mod or VW APV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread