Konstantine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2012
Greece
www.niquidtest.com
ACK!! Bad Konstantine! Bad! View attachment 166148

Well that isn't something new is it? :D :D :D

How's everyone going? Alive and well? Hope you guys are well and have fun.
For some reason i can't keep my .... down, i started playing with software defined radios (cheap) and trying to do some projects, right now i am trying to decode NATO signals and various scrambled ones. Also aviation signals.

Did some food and almost killed myself by eating.

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thought for the day :laugh: Wabbits don't do a lot of heavy thinking!

For Men, detailed conversations are seldom necessary.

There is nothing that happens to a man that can't be summed up with either "Cool" or "Sucks"

Not really, but it is funny!

I have been cleaning up my computer desk area, what a mess it was. Dust, loads of saved "junk", coffee stains, more dust, etc.
Mrs. Wabbit got so frustrated she started cleaning her desk out. LOL.

Have a great day everyone, it is 53 warm degrees here on the Central East Coast of the USA, very nice sunny day.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Hey Konstantine, glad to see you on here again. I didn't think you were bad by the way.

What kind of software radio are you using? I keep looking at Ten-Tec over here. It looks nice, but I always worry about digital images and noise getting in the mix. I used to have a Hammarlund HQ-180, HQ-105TR and a bunch of other ham equipment, but that all went before I got divorced a number if years ago. My favorite piece was an Icom 745, great receiver besides a nice 100 watt transmitter all in one relatively small box that could run on 12 volts or internal power. It didn't seem to have much problem with images, digital noise or anything else. Maybe one day I'll try to pick a used one up on eBay.

Konstantine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2012
Greece
www.niquidtest.com
Hey R

I have a yaesu VX-8R, first in the world to mod the lights. leosedf's blog: VX-8R led modification

I am using a DVB-T Dongle as interface and HDSDR and SDRsharp HDSDR Homepage SDR# | A Software Defined Radio in C# and also sigmira Sigmira
and CODE300-32 for decoding. http://hoka.net/
But i am experimenting with various software. Not much noise, it performs very well i must say. Now i need to search for satellite reception and get some weather imaging or try to catch up the international space station.
All this without the yaesu and only with a 16$ usb TV dongle. I am preparing a serial and audio interface to control my VX from the pc.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Hey R

I have a yaesu VX-8R, first in the world to mod the lights. leosedf's blog: VX-8R led modification

I am using a DVB-T Dongle as interface and HDSDR and SDRsharp HDSDR Homepage SDR# | A Software Defined Radio in C# and also sigmira Sigmira
But i am experimenting with various software. Not much noise, it performs very well i must say. Now i need to search for satellite reception and get some weather imaging or try to catch up the international space station.
All this without the yaesu and only with a 16$ usb TV dongle. I am preparing a serial and audio interface to control my VX from the pc.

Awsum and Kon, that's all Greek to me! ;)

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
Well that isn't something new is it? :D :D :D

How's everyone going? Alive and well? Hope you guys are well and have fun.
For some reason i can't keep my .... down, i started playing with software defined radios (cheap) and trying to do some projects, right now i am trying to decode NATO signals and various scrambled ones. Also aviation signals.

Did some food and almost killed myself by eating.

Kon... you ARE bad!!! FUNNY and lovable too! (LOL) :lol: Too much! :laugh:

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
One interesting thing about the area I live in is that it's got lots of fossils. You can find them fairly easily, too. At a place we used to live, out back was a field with a gorge off to one side, and down in that gorge, there were lots of fossils. My daughter visited us there, and she went fossil hunting and found this trilobite for me. Even more common you could find rocks with the impressions of tiny shells that looked like miniature scallop shells. But I think the trilobite is very, very cool.

IMG_0499_zpse46ee00b.jpeg

Tail11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2012
nor cal
It was funny on so many levels. Like knowing they couldn't really see what was going on, the looks on the dogs' faces, the way they handled the forks, the wiping of the napkins, the whole package was really very clever. I think they must have trained the dogs ahead of time to wait till the food was offered on a fork, not just chow down, as most dogs would. Every once in a while, one of the dogs would make a halfhearted feint at the dish, as if he/she knew that wasn't really in the program, but it was just sooo tempting. Even that was funny, and how the person used the hands to restrain the dog's head, meanwhile making it look like something else. I was impressed and in hysterics. I consider the video to be art!

The video of the dogs eating was so funny, I posted it on my Facebook page, and one of my friends already sent me a reply:

Cats Playing Patty-cake, what they were saying... - YouTube

The cats were terrific. The minds that can come up with that to make it out like the cats were actually saying that! Thanks for sharing, I'm going to post it on my FB page too!

I used to think they were cute, too, till when I lived in California and they got into the space under our roof. They were awful, like being infested with rats. They lost their cuteness then, and stopping up the holes where they were getting in didn't keep them out at all.

I've had roof rats on my roof. They would run over my bedroom aluminum patio cover all night long. One night it got so loud, I thought it was lightening and thundering out which is a rarity in northern California.

I live near a slough, which brings them up to the homes. They love to eat my oranges. I used to set traps out but it was costing me a small fortune. I just couldn't reuse the traps and would just throw it away after capturing one.

I finally figured out that they were using the rain gutter to gain entry to the roof. Once I got those sealed off with some chicken wire, they have left the roof for good.

I have been cleaning up my computer desk area, what a mess it was. Dust, loads of saved "junk", coffee stains, more dust, etc.
Mrs. Wabbit got so frustrated she started cleaning her desk out. LOL.

I cleaned out my desk last week. I found paperwork from 2006! I put my vaping supplies there so I could centralize everything. My dining room table looked like some sort of factory with all the supplies and the cartos rubber condoms everywhere. I was worried my friends would think I was doing something illegal if they happened by!

-----------

Well, I must be getting off soon. I slept in a bit and I'm behind schedule. It's going to start raining this afternoon and I must take Whisper to the dog park. I feel bad because she has to stay at home by herself all week while I work. I thought about getting another dog, but if I do, then her riding days are over. I don't think I can find a box big enough <and safe enough> to carry two Min Pins!

Hope everyone has a great day/night!

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
Hey Rave, what CAD program are you using? I used to do support for both AutoCAD and Microstation, but that was ten years ago now. It was really handy having access to CAD, either one of those. I want to do a porch with a gable pulled off the front of the house and hate the idea of doing it by hand, on paper, with a scale ruler, pencil and eraser (maybe lots of erasers).

Well, I don't have a copy of AutoCAD, and my 3DArchitect got "virused", so I'm just using Sketchup. It's really clubby, but I'm able to bend it to my will somehow.

View attachment 166451

Found a photo [of the breezeway]. So much easier than a description:)

You can just see the 70' wind fence coming off the back corner to protect the west side of the backyard from the wind and keep the wind from curling around the structure and making the backyard even windier! That is the only wooden fence we put up since the wind out here knocks a wooden fence over. We had to add stabilizers on the back side to keep the wind fence from rocking back and forth and eventually coming down.!

That's gorgeous!! :ohmy:

One interesting thing about the area I live in is that it's got lots of fossils. You can find them fairly easily, too. At a place we used to live, out back was a field with a gorge off to one side, and down in that gorge, there were lots of fossils. My daughter visited us there, and she went fossil hunting and found this trilobite for me. Even more common you could find rocks with the impressions of tiny shells that looked like miniature scallop shells. But I think the trilobite is very, very cool.

Very, VERY cool! We have a lot of bivalves and crinoids; but I've never found anything as awesome as a trilobite. We do have geodes that are fun to crack open. They are just white quartz. Nothing to write home about.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail

The tribolite is very cool.

We have a few rocks with some shells in them and something called dendrites.

My favorite desert find is still the musket ball that was probably fired by a settler crossing through Rabbit Springs out in what is still the middle of nowhere.

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD

Ok... I guess I'm the dummy here :unsure: Had to do a google search to clarify for me... That's the thing that if you turn it over has a billion zillion legs wriggling around... squirmy.. yucky... am I right?? :confused:

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Ok... I guess I'm the dummy here :unsure: Had to do a google search to clarify for me... That's the thing that if you turn it over has a billion zillion legs wriggling around... squirmy.. yucky... am I right?? :confused:

Here's all you wanted to know about trilobites and more. Trilobite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia They are extinct now, though I think horseshoe crabs -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_crab -- which are prehistoric but still exist today, might be relatives. Don't they look sort of similar? Trilobites lived in the oceans, and though we're not now near the ocean, at one time, the land I sit on was under the sea.

Last edited:

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
Here's all you wanted to know about trilobites and more. Trilobite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia They are extinct now, though I think horseshoe crabs -- see Horseshoe crab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- which are prehistoric but still exist today, might be relatives. Don't they look sort of similar? Trilobites lived in the oceans, and though we're not now near the ocean, at one time, the land I sit on was under the sea.

I watched some archeological documentaries about this type as well as other fossils of prehistoric sea creatures that have been found in unlikely places.. even on mountaintops, away from the ocean. Thanks for the info Sandy.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
I watched some archeological documentaries about this type as well as other fossils of prehistoric sea creatures that have been found in unlikely places.. even on mountaintops, away from the ocean. Thanks for the info Sandy.

Here's a very short summary of the geology of the area where I live. New York State Geology - Page 1 It truly is a very special place, with the gorges cut out of the land by glaciers with numerous waterfalls, the fossils, the 2nd largest wine-growing area (California is the largest) in the US, the Amish farms, 2 colleges (Ithaca College & Cornell Univ.) in Ithaca, and numerous other features like the lakes, of course. Quite close to my house -- just a few miles, hiking distance -- is the tallest waterfall east of the Mississippi. In fact, it's taller than Niagara Falls, though not as huge, of course. Here's a winter photo I took, just because it's winter now, and seeing the falls all frozen is something a lot of tourists don't get to experience, since they often visit in summer.

IMG_0136_zpsf2434cc6.jpeg

And here is Taughannock Falls in fall, when the water was full and the leaves made the scenery spectacular.

IMG_0073_zpse6b90dcb.jpeg

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
.......Quite close to my house -- just a few miles, hiking distance -- is the tallest waterfall east of the Mississippi. In fact, it's taller than Niagara Falls, though not as huge, of course.QUOTE]

I am quite tempted to put a picture of myself diving off of those falls (in the buff of course), but I don't want to ruin your beautiful scene like I did before. :laugh:

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
.......Quite close to my house -- just a few miles, hiking distance -- is the tallest waterfall east of the Mississippi. In fact, it's taller than Niagara Falls, though not as huge, of course.QUOTE]

I am quite tempted to put a picture of myself diving off of those falls (in the buff of course), but I don't want to ruin your beautiful scene like I did before. :laugh:

Go ahead. The original is there if anyone wants to see it w/o your dive. However, to be in perspective, you'd have to make yourself pretty small. Look at the people in the observation area, and they are closer to the camera than the top of the falls. The falls are actually pretty large. I know, if you want to hide your nudity, you could be going over the falls in a barrel. Didn't someone try that at Niagara Falls? :)

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD

Wabbit! Why so quite lately?? PLEASE don't be afraid to be yourself! Post it... come on widdle bunny... I guess it would be small though.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Hey R

Awsum and Kon, that's all Greek to me! ;)

That was all "Greek" to me as well until I looked it up. Are you just looking at VHF/UHF or down into HF? Better yet, what the heck kind of USB/TV dongle are you using? The Ten-Tec I mentioned is HF only but I've always been a bigger fan of HF for the ability to listen Internationally. I've already got a few scanners hanging around, albeit Albatrosses based on current technology. I really need to update them as well just to be able to follow trunked systems. I had no idea anyone was out there writing basically free code like that, amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread