Chocolate... I gotta ask this question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
I've read a lot about how people use chocolate in their DIY. Anywhere from 2.5% to 30%! I've tried 5, 10, and even 15 percent, but I just can't hit the right chocolate flavor. I've also noticed that store bought chocolate juices appear darker in color than my DIY mixes even at 15 percent. I'm not getting it!

I've been trying to do this with Loranns Chocolate, 70/30 PG/VG, some Sucralose sweetener, and 0 nicotine. All I want is just a straight chocolate ejuice.

Anyone who works with Loranns know how to accomplish this? Do you have a recipe?

TIA!

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
Chocolate is terribly hard to master. I personally don't care too much for the LorAnn Chocolate, nor the TFA Milk Chocolate. As far as a straight chocolate goes, double dutch seems to be decent, but I have difficulty increasing the flavor without it tasting burnt.

Capella makes some great chocolate-esque type flavors, like Chocolate glazed doughnut (delicious), and Chocolate fudge brownie (also great), but they're not what I too am looking for, a good, solid, plain milk chocolate (Hershey's).

If anyone has the chocolate answer, I too am listening.

tdtyler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
Omaha, NE
10th try here.... Still no luck making a chocolate flavor. I have now subscribed to this thread. THANK YOU!

Comment: TFA Double Dark Chocolate smells the most like the chocolate I'm looking for. DIY Flavorshack has a delicious smelling "Expert Chocolate" flavor. However, all attempts at making something vapable have failed. I came the closest with the Flavorshack Expert Chocolate.

Here's what happens. If I get the flavor strong enough to taste it, after a few vapes I can't taste it anymore. This is a sign the flavoring amount is too high. I also get a gummy, burned taste on almost every try.

In another thread, an expert recommended always using a vanilla flavoring with any chocolate recipe. Guess what? In every recipe for anything chocolate (cake, brownies, fudge) there's ALWAYS vanilla added. My friend in the TFA recipe forum MUST be correct. However, still no success.

Okay... That's my "gloom, despair, and agony on me" input. I'll be watching!

eric1973

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2013
Dayton
10th try here.... Still no luck making a chocolate flavor. I have now subscribed to this thread. THANK YOU!

Comment: TFA Double Dark Chocolate smells the most like the chocolate I'm looking for. DIY Flavorshack has a delicious smelling "Expert Chocolate" flavor. However, all attempts at making something vapable have failed. I came the closest with the Flavorshack Expert Chocolate.

Here's what happens. If I get the flavor strong enough to taste it, after a few vapes I can't taste it anymore. This is a sign the flavoring amount is too high. I also get a gummy, burned taste on almost every try.

In another thread, an expert recommended always using a vanilla flavoring with any chocolate recipe. Guess what? In every recipe for anything chocolate (cake, brownies, fudge) there's ALWAYS vanilla added. My friend in the TFA recipe forum MUST be correct. However, still no success.

Okay... That's my "gloom, despair, and agony on me" input. I'll be watching!

And I thought it was just me with the expert chocolate; very concentrated. I'll keep trying...

JBL-37

Banana's
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Washington State
I'm finding it hard as well, I have a chocolate strawberry and banana recipe I'm trying to perfect. Every puff gets me a different flavor and on occasion do I get a hint of chocolate. Well a chocolate like flavor anyway. I was thinking of getting several chocolate flavors and try to blend them together for a good chocolate. Each seem to focus on certain notes to get the chocolate experience, maybe a mix would work out. My wife stole two of my chocolates flavors for her coffee so i need to order more before I try it out lol...

sedna

Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
Oregon
I too will keep an eye on this thread. Chocolate seems to be a tough one. I have been using capella chocolate fudge brownie, which is good, but still not right. I read the tfa vanilla swirl is a good thing to add to chocolate, so i am getting some in, along with some more chocolates to start blending. After that...the coffees... in search of the perfect mocha. It never ends. Sigh...

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There
I agree that Chocolate is the kind of flavor that makes you want to pull your hair out and I have tried almost all of them out there. They can smell great and taste not so great to downright horrible. Almost burnt as mentioned previously. My resolution to this has taken me down to 4 chocolates only for varying purposes and the last two being from the Gourmet line at Vaping Zone--- Chocolate and Chocolate Truffle both very good IMO. I also like Chocolate flavor in the alcohol based super concentrated flavors for those recipes that I use SC's in. And lastly I like Chocolate Fudge Brownie by Capella's--- actually its love hate with that one because sometimes I get a weird aftertaste with Capella's-- but those are the ones I use.

Edited to add--- The Gourmet Vanilla Spongecake vapes beautifully with any chocolate I have so there may be something to the vanilla or cream thing that brings the chocolate out in more balance. Marshamallow in small amounts or any cream is also helpful.

Last edited:

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
I hear all you guys! Chocolate is so tough! I currently have one steeping (3 days open container so far), but I'm confident it's not going to taste right. A lot of time I get this bitter taste no matter what the percentage. There's always this sort of sharp edge to it. Maybe adding some vanilla as some say will work better, but I don't have any. All I have is some Bavarian Creme. I did try that too, but it didn't come out well. Perhaps another go at it is in order.

Thanks for your comments!

DeeDee1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Texas
Are you using enough sweetners? chocolate by itself in the baking world is bitter and nasty. It needs to be mixed with vannilla, sweetners and butter. I am still waiting on my dyi stuff, so I am speaking only from a baking and candy making perspective. Does cooking relate directly to mixing juices? maybe a cake or cookie flavoring to balance the flavors?

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
DeeDee - I too think that the right chocolate mixed with the right vanilla will equal supreme deliciousness. However, it's finding those two that go together that makes this endeavor trying.

Honestly, I am very surprised that no Master has cometh into the thread to offer their personal experiences. Surely someone in the DIY community has perfected, or nearly so, chocolate. There are so many mysteries to this hobby we've chosen, and I really believe that many of which have been uncovered. The problem being secrecy, or lack of public sharing. Whether be due to not realizing the community exists, or due to selfish intentions, I believe we need to rectify the situation, and share with one another our successes!

With all of that jibber jabber being said, who's got the chocolate mastered?!

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
Are you using enough sweetners? chocolate by itself in the baking world is bitter and nasty. It needs to be mixed with vannilla, sweetners and butter. I am still waiting on my dyi stuff, so I am speaking only from a baking and candy making perspective. Does cooking relate directly to mixing juices? maybe a cake or cookie flavoring to balance the flavors?

You know, Tasty Vapor juices are made from recipes. According to TV's site, a lot of them have cooking/baking background. What you're stating about cooking may not be far off at all.

I'm not sure I'm adding enough sweetner. Since I'm only learning myself, I tend to go with what others have posted. I actually have no idea how much sweetner to add, but I don't want to overdo it either. I don't bake much, but is there a ratio of sweetner to chocolate in baking?

I hope you get your DIY stuff soon! I'm hoping to see a grand chocolate from you! :)

echofinder

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Damascus, MD
www.reddit.com
Has anyone tried any NF chocolates?? Or any from other organic/natural flavor producers? I only ask because I love choco bars & such, but cannot stand 'artificial' chocolate flavor like that found in chocolate syrups, chocolate liqueurs, hard candy ...etc. I would guess that most of our flavorings are using the same or similar agents as those flavored products, and not 'authentic' chocolate.

I never gave any thought to vaping chocolate, assuming it would be 'chocolate syrup' flavor, until a friend gave me a sample of juice from some obscure vendor - Belgian Chocolate I think the juice was called - and it tastes just like I am inhaling a Lindt bar! Very rich & authentic! It is possible, to make such a juice... SOMEONE knows...

DeeDee1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Texas
You know, Tasty Vapor juices are made from recipes. According to TV's site, a lot of them have cooking/baking background. What you're stating about cooking may not be far off at all.

I'm not sure I'm adding enough sweetner. Since I'm only learning myself, I tend to go with what others have posted. I actually have no idea how much sweetner to add, but I don't want to overdo it either. I don't bake much, but is there a ratio of sweetner to chocolate in baking?

I hope you get your DIY stuff soon! I'm hoping to see a grand chocolate from you! :)

The sugar to real chocolate in baking is very high. If I were to make a cake and using coco powder, unsweeten with no coco butter. It would be 2-3 tlbs coco to 1 to 1 1/2 cup sugar. and 1/2 pound of butter.

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
The sugar to real chocolate in baking is very high. If I were to make a cake and using coco powder, unsweeten with no coco butter. It would be 2-3 tlbs coco to 1 to 1 1/2 cup sugar. and 1/2 pound of butter.

Wow, going by that "ratio" I'd be vaping sweetner! LOL!

Well, I hope you're going to make some chocolate ejuice, DeeDee! At least we seem to have baker on the team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread