Cigarettes taste so bad now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I don't know how many times I hear this type of comment from ex-smoking vapers. That cigarettes taste god awful now that vaping has taken over. Hey guess what? I too prefer the taste of vaping. But, what I don't get is how ex-smokers don't fully remember that smoking was an acquired taste and that flavor of your chosen smoke was highly desired at one point.

And was thinking about this yesterday for the umpteenth time. Coming at it from angle I've used before. Comparing vaping to smoking (in terms of taste) is like comparing soda to pretty much any type of (unflavored or low flavored) alcohol. Like, show me the day that brandy taste better than a coke. Or that gin tastes better than a orange soda. Or that whiskey tastes better than cream soda. I imagine that day will NEVER exist. Ever. If I were to meet a person that suggested some type of alcohol tastes inherently better than soda, I would think they are crazy. Like objectively crazy even while taste is subjective.

I'm yet to see an eLiquid flavor that matches a smoke. If you hate on smoking, that's a good thing (right?). But if you don't, and are either neutral or positive towards idea of smoking, then I think it is worthy of pointing out, as apparently there are lots of people (millions) that understand smoking is partially done for flavor. And that flavor very much matters.

When comparing the two heads up as if one is to be viewed as winner and the other completely discarded as not worthy of every doing again, then it does make me wonder why anyone would ever drink alcohol (for flavor) when there are many other beverages that taste infinitely better than alcohol. Heck, I'd throw coffee into the mix as well. Soda tastes better than coffee. I'd say that's more subjective of an opinion than alcohol vs. soda, but not by much.

Anyway, I end this rant now. Thanks for reading. And yes, I get that people need to have claim that smoking tastes bad so they can be rest assured that their decision to cease smoking is solidified.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I haven't touched a cigarette in nearly 4 years, not since my last one. Never wanted one, either.

Funny how I don't have an all day vape. I love several different flavors, and change a few times a day.

Also funny that I was loyal to one particular brand of cigarettes for nearly 30 years.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I never really found the taste of a cigarette pleasing. The sensation of smoke hitting the back of my throat, yes, the feeling it gave me, yes, but the taste, not really. A good cigar though ....

I find the flavor pleasing in the same way I find coffee flavor pleasing. The first time I had either, I thought they were highly overrated, and for sure borderline disgusting. It surely is an acquired taste. Most adult things are. Soda was something I liked the first time I had it, and every time since then.

A taste for alcohol (excluding beer or heavily flavored drinks) is not something I've ever acquired, but know many people who have.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I haven't touched a cigarette in nearly 4 years, not since my last one. Never wanted one, either.

Funny how I don't have an all day vape. I love several different flavors, and change a few times a day.

Also funny that I was loyal to one particular brand of cigarettes for nearly 30 years.

I change flavors often as well. My current favorite, Black Pepper, is an ADV for me, and comes closest to flavor of a smoke. I liked it a lot the first time I had it. But I like having great variety in flavor even more.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I'm the same way, never developed a taste for alcohol unless it was in a foofy drink like a pina colada. Even then I could live without the alcohol. Cigarettes taste awful to me now. They were a convenience compared to a pipe, which I did enjoy the taste of. Pipe tobacco is odd in that the English mixes which smell bad to most, taste excellent. No one makes a pipe tobacco blend for ecigs and at this point, I don't care because I love my Red Bull juices.

Jman, as a Wisconsin man, you must enjoy Sprechers. Their Cream Soda is awesome.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I change flavors often as well. My current favorite, Black Pepper, is an ADV for me, and comes closest to flavor of a smoke. I liked it a lot the first time I had it. But I like having great variety in flavor even more.
I actually want nothing to do with coming close to the flavor of a smoke.

Within a couple of weeks of completely quitting cigarettes, I developed a strong distaste for taste or smell of tobacco. Walking through the entrance of the grocery store where the ash tray bin is, is nearly nauseating to me. I can smell the smoke on smoker's clothes and hair.

Now, when I smoked I never thought that I'd be able to quit. I had failed using the patch and the gum. I really enjoyed smoking...the holding it in my hand, drawing it up to my mouth, taking in the smoke, and releasing it from my lungs. The taste, not so much. It was more the behavior component that I was hooked on I think. Vaping replicates that behavior. I smoked menthol cigarettes so I never sought out a tobacco flavor.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY

Within a couple of weeks of completely quitting cigarettes, I developed a strong distaste for taste or smell of tobacco. Walking through the entrance of the grocery store where the ash tray bin is, is nearly nauseating to me. I can smell the smoke on smoker's clothes and hair.

Now, when I smoked I never thought that I'd be able to quit. I had failed using the patch and the gum. I really enjoyed smoking...the holding it in my hand, drawing it up to my mouth, taking in the smoke, and releasing it from my lungs. The taste, not so much. It was more the behavior component that I was hooked on I think. Vaping replicates that behavior. I smoked menthol cigarettes so I never sought out a tobacco flavor.

This is me to a T.

I hated the taste. Liked the menthol part but tobacco was a drug to me. I hated the smell on me and everyone else.

Smoking was always banned in the house so no changes there. I did smoke in my truck and the smell of my truck used to about make me barf.

The smell of smokers was always disgusting. And it still is. Some people I think marinate in it. A couple of my kids I'd like to dip in Fabreeze when they come over.

However take away my tastey vape and I'd smoke again. I'll do what it takes to get nicotine.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin

Perhaps it is a tobacco flavor thing then. As a smoker only, I actively hated on menthol cigs. When I first came to vaping, menthol was in the first 3 flavors I had, and it was around the time I tried that flavor that I knew vaping would stick for me. I love a good menthol for vaping.

When I have been ex-smoker in my life, the smell of SHS was nauseating to me as well, at times. I don't think that is fair comparison to what the flavor of smoking is like when you are wanting to inhale it directly.

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Alcohol beverages make me drunk... Sodas don't. I like the taste of some wines but cannot stand the taste of hard liquors, even mixed or beer. Maybe an aged single malt whiskey, straight without ice, please. So far, cigarettes don't provide me anything over vaping, including the taste and the last time I tried one, I didn't find anything special about it, except the pain in my lungs. I may enjoy a good cigar someday...

Last edited:

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Alcohol beverages make me drunk... Sodas don't.

If alcohol (like say gin) didn't make people drunk, I'd be very interested in the person who thinks it still taste better than soda. I would think the entire world's population would think it taste absolutely disgusting, but tolerate it because of the buzz factor. Alcoholics excluded, of course.

What I find a little more odd is that I would think everyone who first tries a smoke would think it tastes absolutely disgusting. It's weird that anyone would then go from that to wanting 20, or more, of them a day. Or would be fascinating to see a documentary on many people's journey from, first one disgusting, second one disgusting, third-fourth-fifth-sixth all disgusting, but that seventh one, not quite so bad. And that 15th one, kinda pleasant really.

This is why to this day, I can't eat mushrooms. The first 4 that I've had in my life were in the absolutely disgusting territory. Who knows, maybe by the 20th one I'd see why fellow humans find them so enjoyable.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Apparently I'm the only smoker on the planet (okay, just this thread) that enjoys, or enjoyed, the taste of smokes. Though I'm pretty confident that I'm one of tens of millions and not one of perhaps 5 to 20 people.
I enjoyed the taste of smoking when I smoked. I still enjoy the smell of unlit tobacco. What has changed for me since vaping is the underlying ash note to actual smoke. I taste it when I kiss my wife, who still smokes, and that flavor is not something that appeals to me anymore. The tobacco flavor I still like.

Have you ever tried naturallyextractedtobacco.com? When I tried it, awhile ago, Spirit was the closest thing to actual cigarette smoke I had tried other than an Njoy King disposable. I just checked and they have a few varieties of Spirit now, so I'm not sure which one would be what I remember.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Soda was something I liked the first time I had it, and every time since then.

I blame sugar. That stuff is oh so great!

While soda may be highly quaffable, it can't (for me) replace beer for certain foods - or coffee after any food. Or a decent hard liquor to go with the coffee. So, I can't fully agree to a blanket statement of "soda being better than" any of the above.

I rather enjoyed the flavor of tobacco. Don't miss it much, tho. I haven't vaped anything that tastes very similar to tobacco smoke - but I have vaped stuff that made the place smell like a combination of old ashtrays, bar-worn clothing and chain smoking. Puzzling, IMHO.

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
Definitely an acquired taste for me. I smoked because I tended to be miserable whenever I wasn't smoking. Vaping worked for me because it does a good job of removing that miserableness and it allows me to carry on with smoking-like behavior. Vaping has not turned cigarettes disgusting for me--the tastes are just different. But the cigarette taste has the power of 30 years of addiction behind it, and therefore, smoking one always leads to another, and another, and another ...

YMMV

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
I hated the taste of smoking ... however, after a while, the smoke dulled my senses and smoking became bearable.

I never enjoyed smoking outside of my teens ... however, by then, I was addicted.

sometimes, just the smell of smoking reminds me how horrible they tasted to me.

as they say, taste is subjective ... I find it strange how people think onions taste good ... for me, onions taste awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread