The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Cleaning Coils with Surgical Spirit - How do you reuse your coils?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Yodara, Mar 11, 2021.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    SO, my question is, what are you gonna do in five years if you are worrying about how to clean a coil at this stage of the game?!?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  2. DPLongo22

DPLongo22 "Thankee sai." Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I use some RTAs and some blister-pack coils/tanks. I do prefer the ease of the blister-packs, and the consistency, but cost-wise, rebuilding/rewicking is the way to go.

For my Aspire coils (orig. Nauti and old BVCs), I use them until they're shot, then discard them. Yes, they can be rebuilt but I'm not interested (too much work).

The Joyetech CLR coils are irreplaceable for me (as @rosesense hinted earlier). They're right in my wheelhouse, vapewise, and are stupid-easy to re-wick. Rebuilding them isn't terrible either, but I don't know that I'll ever need to do that again (did it a coupla times). I save them, removing the shot coils, but I expect they'll just sit in a bucket...

• Like Like x 7
  3. Opinionated

Opinionated ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    my preference has always been a lot of flavor, and sweet sweet juices.

If you use commercial juices some of them can destroy a coil in no time flat.

After surgery for a few months I was using commercial juice and was having to clean my coil and rewick literally every day. And it was seriously built up.

I couldn't afford to use a new drop-in every day.. for real.

but I like sweet juice and now that I'm back to DIY I still have to clean my coil and rewick a little more than once a week. The most I've ever been able to push a commerical coil was 2 weeks, and that was using my own juice that was clear and lightly flavored (MF)... usually it's weekly and that's pushing the coil past its limit, 5 days is average.

That gets pricy... not only that but like another poster mentioned, coils aren't always easy to find, and you sit at the whim of the manufacturer for the longevity of your tank - they're only good so long as you can get coils.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    That's a great idea!! When I get old, and can't carry that lobster pot anymore. I'll just have Dp wrap them for me.:banana::banana:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky Highly Esteemed Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Less than a pack of cigarettes a week, don't sound bad.

• Like Like x 4
  6. CMD-Ky

Supporting member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    It all depends, for some $3 is a bargain, for others an extravagance.

I drink cheap vodka and relatively costly genuine Kentucky Bourbon. It all depends upon the mood I'm in.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  7. CMD-Ky

Supporting member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    I never found a drop in that I liked and I really like quality on the cheap. I started consistently re-building with my first REO and have never stopped. Another reason for the re-build idea was alluded to by @zoiDman - the ability and opportunity to avoid governmental control over my, obviously, recalcitrant behavior.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. CMD-Ky

Supporting member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    I agree, I am preparing my bulk rate USPS box for shipment to DP land.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Ed Brown

Ed Brown Super Member ECF Veteran

I still have a stash of drop-in coils for a GS Air, Melo, I-Sub, Kanger Sub Tank and, Nautilus/mini tanks. These were never completely satisfying and I found myself changing coils way too often. I stopped using them when I got into rebuildables, but now that I've learned some of the nuances of vaping, and can DIY lighter juices, I may go back and try them out again to see if I want to keep them. I'm stocked up for a long time for rebuildables and may decide to unload the drop-in systems.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  10. Opinionated

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    you might want to keep them though... drop-ins do have their place, and now with a shipping ban in place it may be more difficult in the future to get your hands on stuff like that.

I use drop in's for car trips - which for me means some of my doctors appointments that are a long drive away - they are light, easy to recharge in the car and take a minimum of extras to keep them going...

I don't have lots of spare coils, but I do have some.

plus, lots of our older vapers talk about shaky hands and difficulties building, got to think of those days too.

• Like Like x 4
  11. YoursTruli

YoursTruli Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    While rebuildables are the way to go for cost and longevity not everyone has the desire or ability to do so. I tried a few different methods of cleaning used drop in coils years past without any success. Because of the various drawbacks mentioned with drop in coils having a serious stock of your favorite was my answer. Bumping down the % flavor in your eliquid will give you longer drop in coil life, even commercial eliquid can be successfully cut down and save you money. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Opinionated

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ed Brown

not as far off as I'd like to think. :|

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Ed Brown

The commercial juices are way strong. I cut them down with VG sometimes for use in cloud machines.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  15. DeloresRose

DeloresRose Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio

I learned to build because of the possibility of coils being discontinued, and vape bans. But it was easier than I thought, and I like the vape.

I do have a lot of drop ins, and they come in really handy when I’m super busy and cannot get around to taking care of RBAs - like when my mom was sick.

The right tank with the right build cannot he matched by any drop in I’ve tried, but they do suffice if need be. And they do hold up longer, sort of. I have to change the cotton and clean the coil every couple of days. The coils themselves last for months and months though.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Ed Brown

That'll be me next August when I retire. As the farmers say, Make Hay while the sun shines.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. YoursTruli

YoursTruli Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    The commercial juice I buy at 18mg/ml and cut it down to 3mg/ml with PG and VG, so 30 ml = 180 ml. A lot bigger savings than a few coils especially considering the cost of commercial juice. DIY juice, even cheaper, but I understand not everyone has the desire or ability to do it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Territoo

Territoo Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I have a lot of drop ins, at least a few for every tank type I own. I'm saving them for when I'm too old to physically build. My eyesight isn't good and it will get worse in the future.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Ed Brown

I've always thought that the manufacturer's of drop in tanks would sell their tanks cheap, and lock you in to buying their coils. The coils probably cost 25 cents each to mass produce, and then they sell them for $2.00. They'll keep selling them as long as they are profitable.

Kind of like printers and ink.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. CMD-Ky

Supporting member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Too true, Ed, too true.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1