Cleaning Labware

Status
Not open for further replies.

lefstep

Feb 18, 2012
Asheville
I'm getting ready to start mixing my own liquids soon and have some questions about cleaning and storage. How do you all clean your glassware after mixing? I will be using glassware such as beakers,graduated cylinders, and even glass syringes, etc. to mix. I would imagine there are some safety precautions to take but have not seen this discussed besides transferring nic bottles to glass. And what about disposing of materials used such as empty bottles of nic? Just want to be careful not to get anyone else sick and think this too is an important part of DIY. My main concern in the kitchen where I'll be mixing at and was thinking what was the best way to go when cleaning up after. Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated, thank you!

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I clean lab ware with antibacterial dishwashing soap (at recommended concentration and soak time) in hot water. That is followed with an air dry or clean towel dry. I store them clean in Tupperware or a large Ziplock bag. My graduated cylinders are polypropylene. Pipettes, syringes, etc are all plastic. Glass bottles get the same treatment. Empty nicotine jugs get rinsed and recycled. Paper towels used for clean-up go to the trash.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
All of my DIY supplies are recycled and sterilized,empty used flavor bottles get sterilized and reused either as test batch bottles or storage.Same with everything else I use for my DIY,i try and sterilize,recycle and use anything that can be.All of my plastics get a quick dip in alcohol and then set in warm water.All glass is sterilized in a hot water soak for five minutes.

If you have any empty nic. bottles,PG/VG bottles,you can sterilize and recycle them for use too(I save where I can for my DIY).

lefstep

Feb 18, 2012
Asheville
Thanks, that's a good idea storing them in zip-locks and or tupperware. Ha, gotta keep e'm fresh. I hadn't really thought about using bags. I would probably go outside and mix if I did not live in an apt. Even though I have all the proper gear maybe I'm just feeling a bit over pre cautious. My only other concern was the thought of any nic residue somehow getting left behind and if it was a good idea to use my kitchen sink. This will all have to be cleaned some way or another and guess as long as I'm careful to make sure and rinse everything extra well I should be fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread