Cleaning the Saphire and Dry Burn - Official Sapphire Cleaning Thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah
Have you seen the video I posted on replacing the wick?

I have noticed it doesn't wick well automatically, but if you BLOW into the mouthpiece you will see bubbles come into the tank. This indicates juice is flowing down. It then hits like a champ. Just blow every couple of hits.

Just be careful when you blow into it. When you feel it start to resist(harder to blow into) it's about to come out of the bottom.

I recieved my "starter kit" with the eGo sized batteries and 3 saphires yesterday.

Pretty much have dry hits every other puff, I found that giving it sharp inhales without the button pressed, did very little if anything at all to help.

This advice however, of giving it a little reverse puff, blowing slightly through it, absolutely works, and works well!

I still find it annoying that it can't keep up wicking by itself, but at least this does in fact work, and work well, just have to do it every 3 puffs or so...

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
I get the same thing with my dark thick juice, although its like once every hit or 2 hits, I was hoping it would eventually stay wet and flow, but maybe after a couple of tanks through.

I recieved my "starter kit" with the eGo sized batteries and 3 saphires yesterday.

Pretty much have dry hits every other puff, I found that giving it sharp inhales without the button pressed, did very little if anything at all to help.

This advice however, of giving it a little reverse puff, blowing slightly through it, absolutely works, and works well!

I still find it annoying that it can't keep up wicking by itself, but at least this does in fact work, and work well, just have to do it every 3 puffs or so...

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
what i think oyu guys are experiencing is not enough airflow getting to the sapphire, that would be by the connector, screw on the sapphire all the way, then unscrew it just a tad, see if you can align the hole on the sapphire connection with one of your slots on the 510 connection. This will allow full airflow. I had them reposition that hole for the ones coming so this way they are more universal in this day and age with so many batteries and different 510 connectors.

Jameth, you shouldnt be experiencing that though as that battery and the sapphire are a perfect match. so not sure what your issue could be but would you guys mind telling me what kind of juice your using and not just the % of pg vg ratio. Ill see if i have the same juice here to test.

Last edited:

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah
Jameth, you shouldnt be experiencing that though as that battery and the sapphire are a perfect match. so not sure what your issue could be but would you guys mind telling me what kind of juice your using and not just the % of pg vg ratio. Ill see if i have the same juice here to test.

My first one I filled with a mostly PG Dekang USA, it has a slight amount of VG added, I would say its about 80/20 pg/vg, and almost totally clear, its the Top Vapor line from Madvapes.

The second one, is a little bit darker but is also mostly PG, its a 70/30 pg/vg, RY4 mixed about 50/50 with the Dekang USA PG liquid, this one is from FSUSA.

Now I just now filled the third one in my kit, which was the one by itself, not pre screwed into one of the batteries in the kit. I noticed right away just looking at it that the wick protruded further into the tank, probably by at least 2 mm. The other two had just a tiny bit of wick showing through the metal spike thing.

Anyhow this third one seems to be working perfect, I have yet to get a dry hit on it, and I am running slightly thicker juice in it compared to my other two.

I think the additional wick exposed in the tank part is making a difference but I can't really be sure.

It also seemed that the rubber gasket at the bottom of the tank (where the metal plate is) was in a little bit different position, but again can't really be sure, it just looked different.

I will say this, if they all worked as good as this third one, I would probably never buy another type of carto!

Last edited:

zer0ith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Burlington, Ontario
I think air flow is definitely the key here. When I am using a thin liquid and taking a draw I can see a decent amount of bubbles flowing into the juice area. With thicker liquids its not as much but they are still visible.
My one has gone through about 10 fills and not a single issue, made sure the air hole was lined up decently and nothing but good :vapor:

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah
I think air flow is definitely the key here. When I am using a thin liquid and taking a draw I can see a decent amount of bubbles flowing into the juice area. With thicker liquids its not as much but they are still visible.
My one has gone through about 10 fills and not a single issue, made sure the air hole was lined up decently and nothing but good :vapor:

On my one that works awesome, almost every drag I take I can see a bubble or two come up after I stop sucking.

On my two that don't work so well, I almost never see a bubble come through the tank unless I give it a little blow into the mouthpiece, then it bubbles and hits well for about three drags, then repeat.

I am surprised how nice the the one that works right is, I am really digging it.

Hopefully I can make the other two work as well somehow.

Last edited:

zer0ith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Burlington, Ontario
On my two that don't work so well, I almost never see a bubble come through the tank unless I give it a little blow into the mouthpiece, then it bubbles and hits well for about three drags, then repeat.

I had that same issue with my other one. What I ended up doing was taking it apart and cleaning. Once the atty was exposed I saw that the bottom of the little wick piece was burnt. After a 24hr soak in vodka, 24hr air dry, 2 second dry burn, lighter (torch) to the "burnt" wick, reassembled, filled, sit for 5 minutes.
Vapes like a champ now!

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
i get the bubbles too with the thin liquid, problem is it eventually floods. I definately get more bubbles with the thin liquid than the thicker stuff for sure.

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah
It's still to early to tell, but I think I may have found part of the issue that is keeping two of my three saphires from wicking well.

It seems that the ones that consistently give me dry hits and lack of good wicking/flow, have the center pin of the atty connector pushed a little further up into the carto then the one that works well. So I pried the center pin out a little bit on one that wasn't working so well, and while I am still testing it, it seems like it may be working better, I actually see bubbles flowing after my hits now!

Maybe the pin itself, or the rubber thing around it was interfering with airflow and therefore juice flow, and tweaking it a bit cleared it up?

Still testing, and this may all be wrong, but I had to throw it out there, see if anyone else has any similar scenarios!

I hope this is all it is, because its super easy to fix.

Ultimately this is a problem of a vacuum building up in the tank I belive, and preventing the liquid from flowing as easily as it should, a release of the plug on top of the tank always results in a couple large bubbles flowing up from the bottom, and increased performance until it builds up again.

Without the plug in at all, I never get a dry hit.

Last edited:

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah
I read somewhere in this thread about blowing into the mouthpiece instead of sucking on it to encourage juice to flow and it does work very well. I'm using 80%VG in my sapphires and if it starts to get dry a quick blow into the mouthpiece yields a couple giant bubbles from the wick into the tank

Yea this does work well, and really isn't that big of a deal to do, but I don't like having to think about it, I like it to just work.

I can handle blowing into it every few puffs, but when I hand it to a buddy to check out for a bit, I don't like that I have to give them the disclaimer that if it starts tasting bad, blow in it just a little bit, not to much, not to little, blah blah.

I like to just say "here hang onto this for a bit and check it out" but if I did that they would be unhappy very fast.

Again, one of my three works great, still trying to get to the bottom of making the other two perform similarly.

harmonic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Desoto, Mo
hey! i just figured something out DUH the vertical wick isnt twined into the coil its wraped around it. somehow before the coil is inserted into the cup they take a strad of wick and fold it over the coil like a U ith the coil in the bottom. then the legs of the U are fed into the holder. i went to take one apart to clean it and when i tugged on the wick the whole atty came out and the wick was just like this and was gunked up and fell apart when i tried to peel it from the coil. no idea how to get one back in there like this yet...

Amy41996

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, United States
hey! i just figured something out DUH the vertical wick isnt twined into the coil its wraped around it. somehow before the coil is inserted into the cup they take a strad of wick and fold it over the coil like a U ith the coil in the bottom. then the legs of the U are fed into the holder. i went to take one apart to clean it and when i tugged on the wick the whole atty came out and the wick was just like this and was gunked up and fell apart when i tried to peel it from the coil. no idea how to get one back in there like this yet...

am happy you are havin fun ;) you and other modders are awsome!

Tom950

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2010
Bergen County, NJ
Well Tom if customs get their cranialrectal impaction taken care of Bad says they could be in tomorrow.

If only it were that simple for a few of us. Our crappy state decided we now have to pay co-pays on Rx out of our own pockets. Bites into already strapped budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread