Cleaning the Saphire and Dry Burn - Official Sapphire Cleaning Thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah
hey! i just figured something out DUH the vertical wick isnt twined into the coil its wraped around it. somehow before the coil is inserted into the cup they take a strad of wick and fold it over the coil like a U ith the coil in the bottom. then the legs of the U are fed into the holder. i went to take one apart to clean it and when i tugged on the wick the whole atty came out and the wick was just like this and was gunked up and fell apart when i tried to peel it from the coil. no idea how to get one back in there like this yet...

I took one of mine having troubles apart to start playing with the wick, what I found was that under the cap the wick goes through, the wick was kinda just all over the place, little bitty strands of it stuck in various places around the top of the coil. I don't believe it was wrapped under the coil at all, just kinda shoved wherever amongst it.

I cannot believe how easy these things are to take apart, tweak the wick, and put back together, I can literally take it apart and mess with the wick, with juice still in the upside down tank, slap it back together and test it, within a matter of a couple mins.

I am still playing with the one I took apart, but it seems removing some of the wick to improve flow helps quite a bit.

I think it is a fine line between flooding and dry hits, but really it seems to me that its pretty tough to totally flood these to a point that they leak anywhere, which to me is truly flooded.

It seems to me like there is more leeway in having extra juice flow and not flooding, then there is in making absolutely sure it doesn't flood, and still works, which is what I think the manufacturer is doing.

Does that last sentence make sense anywhere outside of my own head?

Harmonic, was that one you took apart and found the wick under the coil working well for you?

I wonder if thats the way it *should* be or not, but I don't want to take apart my one that works perfect just yet.

Last edited:

harmonic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Desoto, Mo
+1 on pinching the tube at the base. if you don't the only thing keeping the tube from spinning freely is the air passage and wick holder. neither of which are very solid to begin with.
i have had 3 of these to play with. one has not been apart and now has developed a burn taste so its next. the first one i took apart the wick 'seemed' attached to the coil and i had to pick it out with tweezers and i thought they were woven together.
the 2nd (discussed earlier) one when i took it apart it looked the same way but when i tugged on the standing wick it pulled the whole coil and everything out of the atty. as i tried to detach the crusted up wick i had to peel the strands off the coil as they were threaded under it as if it was in place before the atty was inserted into the shell. it had been working very well until it got that burned taste that wouldn't go away.
and i want to remind anybody reading that they didn't get that way until after many MANY refills and lots of very hard use. for an average vaper with maintenance these could last a long time...

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
thats different than my experience for sure. but I wanted to say that if you have the problem with the wick being stuck, what worked for me each time is to fire it up and then twist the strands around and they will come out, I tried pulling on them too and almost pulled the whole coil out.

and i want to remind anybody reading that they didn't get that way until after many MANY refills and lots of very hard use. for an average vaper with maintenance these could last a long time...

harmonic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Desoto, Mo
oh no sorry i meant the burnt taste not the condition of the wick lol
on the first one when i pulled the strands out they broke off at the coil and some were much longer than others which for me indicates the wick went under like the other one. perhaps there are differences in how some of them get put together due to different ppl doing it in the factory - its not like each one gets inspected to make sure they are identical.

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
can I get an opinion on the wicks everyone is using? I think its general consensus that most people are using the fat CE2 wick? are you using it whole or removing a strand or two? I made 2 up with the fat CE2 wick and they aren't wicking that well, I have to continuously blow through it to get it to work. I popped out my last new one and its wicking nicely so I'm thinking the wick is slightly too thick in the other two. I have another one to redo and want to get it right.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
can I get an opinion on the wicks everyone is using? I think its general consensus that most people are using the fat CE2 wick? are you using it whole or removing a strand or two? I made 2 up with the fat CE2 wick and they aren't wicking that well, I have to continuously blow through it to get it to work. I popped out my last new one and its wicking nicely so I'm thinking the wick is slightly too thick in the other two. I have another one to redo and want to get it right.

I use this in EVERYTHING NOW even my 510 Atty's the stuff is the best =
Nextel Braided Ceramic Very High Temperature Sleeving

Min order is 10 feet $23 shipped to your door ! And you only need a very very small strand of it in a Sapphire and it does NOT burn !

Amy41996

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, United States
I dont bother cleaning mine,,,i use mine for about a week and then set to the side...in the even I want to clean them. I figured I got my moneys worth. I also figured,,these are disposable :) Good job to those make an HONEST effort to figure cleaning and such out..I appreciate what you guys to do work it out

Randyrtx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Cedar Park, TX
I use this in EVERYTHING NOW even my 510 Atty's the stuff is the best =
Nextel Braided Ceramic Very High Temperature Sleeving

Min order is 10 feet $23 shipped to your door ! And you only need a very very small strand of it in a Sapphire and it does NOT burn !

What size do you buy, and is it the XC or XC4? Are the individual strands comparable in size to the original factory Sapphire wick?

I've had little success using CE2 fat wick.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
What size do you buy, and is it the XC or XC4? Are the individual strands comparable in size to the original factory Sapphire wick?

It is the XC-116 THE XC4 is to expensive and the only difference is the XC4 goes 200F higher in temp but we never get to 2800F with our Atty's so its not needed, though I bought a roll of it too. The Min order of the XC-116 or any of it is 10'. It comes in a rope like material about 1/4" or so, and you dont use the whole piece of it in the Sapphire like you do for other Mods. You just pull a little strand off of it and I mean little and slide it threw the hole in the metal piece of the Sapphire until a little bit comes out the bottom, Just so it touches the bridge when you put it back together, Done Deal !

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009

Also for the CE2 try using SS 400 Mesh, it is killer for the CE2 !

Slimcorn82

Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
New York
if you get juice in air flow chamber, make sure your filling it correctly becuase even now i still see on video people thinking they filled it properly yet fluid was getting intot he airflow chamber and wouldnt realize until they started vaping, not saying this is what is happening to you guys but just be aware of it, now if there is juice there for any other reason, simple blow out from the battery coonectro end and catch the juice with a napkin out the airflow end by the fill tip.

This has been happening to me on new and re-wicked ones. Weird part is it didn't happen on my first 3 sapphires. How could I been filling it wrong and getting juice in the air flow chamber. I don't understand what I am doing wrong to cause this, especially on a new one.

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
This has been happening to me on new and re-wicked ones. Weird part is it didn't happen on my first 3 sapphires. How could I been filling it wrong and getting juice in the air flow chamber. I don't understand what I am doing wrong to cause this, especially on a new one.

you aren't, I've had the same problem too, which is my main issue with these things. the juice is getting in there because its getting sucked through the atomizer and up into the airflow chamber. there is a very fine line between too much wick where you can barely get any vapor and too little where it works pretty well but keeps getting a little too much in and then it comes up the air chamber and then eventually you will see it flood down your battery.

Slimcorn82

Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
New York
you aren't, I've had the same problem too, which is my main issue with these things. the juice is getting in there because its getting sucked through the atomizer and up into the airflow chamber. there is a very fine line between too much wick where you can barely get any vapor and too little where it works pretty well but keeps getting a little too much in and then it comes up the air chamber and then eventually you will see it flood down your battery.
Thanks for the tip. I mean I see why this would happen to the ones I re-wicked. But this one in front of me is brand new. I have tried filling it all different ways, and it still gets in the air chamber. I mean even from a 130 degree position, that shouldn't even be possible!

Tendril

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
USA - Illinois
If when you are filling the Sapphire you have the fill-nozzle pressed against the plastic body it will form a seal, forcing fluid through the wick and into the air chamber. Air should have to be able to escape through the fill hole while you are filling for this not to happen (unless your wick is dirty). This might not be the issue you're having, just a FYI. I use it to my advantage to prime the coil after cleaning them

Slimcorn82

Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
New York
If when you are filling the Sapphire you have the fill-nozzle pressed against the plastic body it will form a seal, forcing fluid through the wick and into the air chamber. Air should have to be able to escape through the fill hole while you are filling for this not to happen (unless your wick is dirty). This might not be the issue you're having, just a FYI. I use it to my advantage to prime the coil after cleaning them
Thanks for this tip. I think is what is happening cause I used a syringe before and it did not fill up. Hopefully this solves the issue. Appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread