Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Good grief! This is getting as good as the Provari fights.

Well, lately the Provari thing seems to have died down a bit as did the non-smokers vaping thing and the VV vs VW thing before it. Ahh, those were some entertaining threads :thumb:. I knew something had to take its place though and this might be it ;)

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Well, lately the Provari thing seems to have died down a bit as did the non-smokers vaping thing and the VV vs VW thing before it. Ahh, those were some entertaining threads :thumb:. I knew something had to take its place though and this might be it ;)

Well...there's always the "I should be able to vape anywhere I want" argument.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Originally Posted by Richard75 View Post
If a scientist were to clone you... who would you believe is better? If your clone worked for less money, or was cheaper to feed, etc... who would your boss or spouse pick? Sometimes it's just about what was created first.

I always wondered...... if you have sex with your clone does that make you gay or in love with yourself?

Mike.S

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2013
Michigan
No, I am calling them immoral because they are benefiting from theft. Last I checked, you get caught buying stolen goods, you get charged with a felony. if you did not know they were stolen, you get the goods confiscated.
There's no theft involved. If I steal something from someone, I have it and they don't. If I copy something, they haven't lost anything. There's no such thing as intellectual "property." There are only ideas, which want to be free. The whole IP thing is driven by corporate greed, Hollywood and Disney. Disney got rich creating things based on the works of others - the brothers Grimm, Mark Twain, Hans Christian Anderson, etc. Now they'd have you think that others shouldn't be able to do the same with their works. Meh.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
This thread has been entertaining to say the least... I think Ryedan said it best so far as to all the other worthless arguments are on hiatus at the moment, something had to take its place...

I think it should be put simply, If someone invents something and "doesn't" patent it internationally, then its fair game to the rest of the world to do with it as they want to... Right now, with as hot as the APV market has been in the last 1.5yrs, a modder would be out of their mind to not patent their designs... If they don't, they have no one but themselves to blame!!!

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Should have gotten out the :pop: sooner.

PopCornEatingGirl.gif

Vape On
:vapor:

Last edited:

tartanraven

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If you want to spend over $200 on a stainless battery case with an on/off switch...so be it. If you want to buy a clone that costs what amounts to the material needed to make a stainless battery case with an on/off switch...you might just be accused of logic. I find it amazing how much is spent (I'm just as guilty) on something that replicates a cigarette...or have I lost the plot completely? Lets ask ourselves...what exactly does a $200+ mech do that a $25 mech doesnt? I have owned a P+, a Paps, a Dingo, a 69, and a Natural..................I still own the Natural.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I Can not disagree with the OP any more.

Here's my problem with "clones"

1. The manufacturer does not gain anything from clones. What possibly could a manufacturer like Innokin gain from cutting their own sales by selling the design to a knockoff? Especially when that knockoff may be made with inferior materials. There are a lot of reviews of the "authentic" Innokin iTastes being sold at Fasttech about poor battery life or bad batteries. The manufacturer sells their products to their resellers at a set price. They don't make any more money if it's sold at MSRP at a Beverly Hills boutique than they do if it's sold online on Ebay. They've made their money. It makes no sense to put your reputation with your customers and resellers at risk by encouraging knock offs to sell inferior versions of your product. They would rather sell more of their authentic product than someone elses knockoffs.

2. Clones hurt the original manufacturer. All a knock off company has to do is buy one, disassemble it, identify the parts and then make a copy. They don't have to recoup any R&D costs. Also they are free to use inferior products. It would not surprise me if the "authentic" itastes sold on Fasttech actually contained lower rated batteries. The battery is most likely the most expensive component in the AVP. Put in a 600 mAh hour and who is the wiser? When these lower quality knock offs have issues, who gets the blame. The original manufacturer, not the knock off company.

3. Knock offs end up being more expensive to the consumer. I purchased three "authentic" mini protanks from Fasttech. Two of which broke within 1 month of purchase. This equated to $22.00 and nothing to show for it. My third tank has not arrived yet, but I won't use it now even when it does arrive. Sun-Vapers was selling genuine Mini Protank 2's for only a dollar more. I initially shied away from the Mini Protank 2 because I thought the "glueless" construction would cause leakage. It ended up costing me. The "non-pyrex" glass used in the knockoff I feel cracked due to thermal expansion. During use, the mini protank heats unevenly. This is why low expansion glass such as pyrex glass is so important. The fact that I cleaned my tanks in hot water may have also caused my fake mini protanks to crack. So I ended up wasting 33 bucks to try and save 3 dollars. Imagine if I had bought an MVP with an inferior battery. Instead of only wasting 33 bucks, I could have lost a lot more due to a battery fire.

Last edited:

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Clones are Piracy Period I really hate the Wal Mart mentality of so many people. If you so love the Chinese products move there. I have a real problem with the country and try my very best not to buy anything from there, however I am also realistic and do purchase some stuff from there.

Since the current technology in e-cigs and APV's were born in china, I don't have problems from purchasing them from quality Chinese manufacturers. They do exist. Innokin and Kangertech have both shown themselves to be quality manufacturers.

Eventually I may buy a Provari. It is US made and has great voltage regulation throughout it's discharge profile. However, I would love Provari to make a variable wattage model so I can set and forget it. Also, 200 bucks for a provari is a bit steep. However I do acknowledge their quality and I plan to take some of my money I saved from switching to vaping to support the company. I hope that the FDA doesn't shut the whole thing down before I have the opportunity to do so

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
If you want to spend over $200 on a stainless battery case with an on/off switch...so be it. If you want to buy a clone that costs what amounts to the material needed to make a stainless battery case with an on/off switch...you might just be accused of logic. I find it amazing how much is spent (I'm just as guilty) on something that replicates a cigarette...or have I lost the plot completely? Lets ask ourselves...what exactly does a $200+ mech do that a $25 mech doesnt? I have owned a P+, a Paps, a Dingo, a 69, and a Natural..................I still own the Natural.
Well, let's see, without comparing specific products and while clones of different PVs differ in quality, let's just say that hopefully you are justifying the original $200+ mech because:
1. Solid construction quality, long lasting, high quality materials used.
2. Voltage drop (conductivity of contacts) which is arguably one of the most important aspects of a mechanical mod. Running a 0.6 ohm coil that drops your battery to 3.5V while fresh shortens the life of the battery while making you go lower on your ohms to achieve your desired wattage.
3. Versatile.
4. Good customer service.
5. And lastly, because it has to be included, how exclusive the mod is. A high quality mod that only gets short rounds of a couple hundred of units every couple of months will raise its price as opposed to an always available mod.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I guess I spoke too soon a few days ago when I said Its nice to see a friendly debate...and look what happens. Hahahaha. Maybe I jinxed it?

Yeah, pretty sure this thread jumped the shark about 10 pages ago. But don't worry, I'm sure it will be repeated in less than a month, lol.

Lets ask ourselves...what exactly does a $200+ mech do that a $25 mech doesnt?.

Pretty sure that was rhetorical, but to answer your question'

What does MY car do that a Yugo doesn't? It pleases me. And that's pretty much the bottom line, isn't it?

D1RGE.EXE

Nov 8, 2013
SoCal, baby!
So true, excuse me while I purchase a newborn baby on the blackmarket, because it's all I can afford.

I can't even come close to wrapping my head around what this means.

So......someone tell me this. Take away all the clones, and what is everyone going to vape on? Will it just be the few "cool kids" that have decent-working because they were able to stay up like zombies for days haunting a list?
I wasn't dropping the stinkies until I got my first mech, the ft Magneto clone. I absolutely guarantee I would not have made my first dabble into mechs with a $200-$500 initial mod purchase. My clone has also made me want a branded, hand made one.

The copies exist because there is a demand that needed to be met, and could never be met by the niche boutique designers that make 1,000. Take away these copies and you take away probably 90% of the people on this board and put smokes or crappy ego-pens and Blu's in people's hands. I guarantee you can't put the nice ones in them since there simply is not enough made.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
(Clones are Piracy Period)

I really hate the Wal Mart mentality of so many people. If you so love the Chinese products move there. I have a real problem with the country and try my very best not to buy anything from there, however I am also realistic and do purchase some stuff from there.

2highcal, I'm going to leave alone the comment "Clones are Piracy Period".

So, you really hate the Wall-mart mentality and you think people who buy Chinese products should just move to China and you have a real problem with China and try your best not to buy anything made there.

But you do anyway because you are "realistic".

I keep reading your words over again thinking that I've obviously missed something and I'll get it next time through.

But I don't.

So please tell me, how are you different from the people who have that Wall-mart mentality?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I just don't understand where you're coming from. I mean if you don't like something, don't do it. If you realize you are doing it anyway, at least don't diss on others who do the same thing. Or are you just ...... at yourself for doing it too?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I always wondered...... if you have sex with your clone does that make you gay or in love with yourself?

Thrasher, with the utmost respect, I must ask the somewhat obvious question; What other things have you always wondered about that we should know about :matrix:

Sorry, I couldn't resist :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread