Status
Not open for further replies.

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
Are they going to have a DNA75? And a squonker? I'd be on that if it isn't to exorbitant. My dream is still to have a regulated squonker but pricing has left me using tanks on regulated mods, which has been very delightful. Even on those, I am usually at 75W. I have a couple of top feed atties I use also and don't go much above 60W, so a 75W would work for me!

No details yet but hcigar let the cat out of the bag in Vegas this week. It's definitely a 75w chip, no idea on size but it would make sense to stick with the 200 size. I personally hope it's smaller so we see it in more mods but only time will tell.

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
Why would you say that ?
I simply quoted the "powers to be", and I said the website was still up and selling.
Yes, the forum is the only thing he is closing, but he stated that he was going to slow down, mod wise, and devote time to building a guitar.
I think what he meant was he's not going to be devoting all his time to creating a new line, since the resins fell through.
According to him, the freed up time is going to be for relaxing, making a guitar, keeping up with what he already has going, and creating a less stressful life for now.
I took it as, he's not going to spend time creating another new mod line, or keeping up with the forum.
Nothing else has changed.

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
I simply quoted the "powers to be", and I said the website was still up and selling.
Yes, the forum is the only thing he is closing, but he stated that he was going to slow down, mod wise, and devote time to building a guitar.
I think what he meant was he's not going to be devoting all his time to creating a new line, since the resins fell through.
According to him, the freed up time is going to be for relaxing, making a guitar, keeping up with what he already has going, and creating a less stressful life for now.
I took it as, he's not going to spend time creating another new mod line, or keeping up with the forum.
Nothing else has changed.
your wording made it sound like he wouldn't be making any more mods it could be rather misleading

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
your wording made it sound like he wouldn't be making any more mods it could be rather misleading
Yeah, sometimes it comes out muddled, sorry.
I glad to see him back off a little since his surgery, and get a chance to follow his dream.
Sorry catfish .. no more :offtopic:

Chowderhead1972

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
Clarksburg, Maryland, United States
My take on the DNA 75. What makes the dna200 so great isn't all about the board, it's the power source. Taking a higher voltage and stepping it down will always be more efficient than taking a low voltage and trying to step it up. The problem with a single 18650 and 75 watts (and the reason the dna200 was born in the first place) is the battery becomes the weak link, where previously it was the dna40. With a dual 18650 in parallel the dna75 will shine. As it stands the battery in the LBC is 25mm wide, a single 18650 is 18mm. So ultimately you can give up battery life and 125watts for 7mm of girth or give up 11mm of girth AND the same 125w.

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
All I want is the Ti/SS capabilities of the DNA200 and profiles all in a single battery configuration. Very rarely do I vape above 60 watts so the DNA75 is ideal, for me.

It would be nice if they kept the size the same as the DNA40 - retrofits would be super easy..

Last edited:

freedogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Erie,Pa
My take on the DNA 75. What makes the dna200 so great isn't all about the board, it's the power source. Taking a higher voltage and stepping it down will always be more efficient than taking a low voltage and trying to step it up. The problem with a single 18650 and 75 watts (and the reason the dna200 was born in the first place) is the battery becomes the weak link, where previously it was the dna40. With a dual 18650 in parallel the dna75 will shine. As it stands the battery in the LBC is 25mm wide, a single 18650 is 18mm. So ultimately you can give up battery life and 125watts for 7mm of girth or give up 11mm of girth AND the same 125w.

^^^^He said girth^^^

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
All I want is the Ti/SS capabilities of the DNA200 and profiles all in a single battery configuration. Very rarely do I vape above 60 watts so the DNA75 is ideal, for me.

I would be nice if they kept the size the same as the DNA40 - retrofits would be super easy..
Agreed. 75W covers my vaping needs. If it were the size of the DNA40 and had all the functionality of the DNA200 (minus the 200W), think of the squonking goodness we would have coming.

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
From what I've read about the DNA75 the chip will be the same size as the 200. Would've been nice to see a smaller chip for 75W to use in squonkers.

It needs to be, to work with eScribe and store profiles etc, the DNA200 adds a much larger chipset then the DNA40, hence the larger board

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
The battery life will be pathetic..... Just like the sxj at anything over 50watts

Not much worse than a 900mAh 3 cell battery which in mAh is like a 2700mAh 18650.

Granted a 3 cell configuration is more efficient, but anything less than 1500-1800mAh doesn't do a heck of a lot better than a quality pair of 18650's in DNA133 mode. This of course is what I experience running both at 60-65 watts.

I'm not knocking the DNA200 because this is the best chip IMHO, it would be nice to have some scale with the technology packed inside the board. It seems like a mistake if Evolve simply handicaps the DNA200 to run on 3.7 volts as that doesn't accomplish a lot from a mod size requirement - this is what is holding it back from being adopted with squonkers in general. You are the exception on this :)

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
It needs to be, to work with eScribe and store profiles etc, the DNA200 adds a much larger chipset then the DNA40, hence the larger board

I think the size is from the additional power regulation requirements for three cell and having the on board balance charging. The logic to store profiles and such is probably one of the smallest chip on the DNA200.

Most likely it will be the same board to keep their tooling cost low.....

Chowderhead1972

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
Clarksburg, Maryland, United States
Not much worse than a 900mAh 3 cell battery which in mAh is like a 2700mAh 18650.

Granted a 3 cell configuration is more efficient, but anything less than 1500-1800mAh doesn't do a heck of a lot better than a quality pair of 18650's in DNA133 mode. This of course is what I experience running both and running at 60-65 watts.

I'm not knocking the DNA200 because this is the best chip IMHO, it would be nice to have some scale with the technology packed inside the board. It seems like a mistake if Evolve simply handicaps the DNA200 to run on 3.7 volts as that doesn't accomplish a lot from a mod size requirement - this is what is holding it back from being adopted with squonkers in general. You are the exception on this :)

Just my 2 cents
Agreed. To an extent. The big difference is in the C rating. The lipo will fire full power all the way down to 3.1 volts where the 18650 will call it quits just south of 3.7. I agree the dual 18650 parallel is ideal but at that point why not go for the 200 derated to 133? But the point was to end up with a smaller device and with either board and dual 18650s it just doesn't happen.

Eta: yes the 18650 contains a similar amount of power, but once the first 20% is used the voltage/amperage sags to below useable levels, the lipo does not have this problem because you have 3 high "C" cells keeping that voltage above 9V vs one 18650 struggling to hold the line at three volts and 15-18 amps. The lipo will run 20-25 amps at 11.1v for a long time with no complaint.

Last edited:

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Agreed. To an extent. The big difference is in the C rating. The lipo will fire full power all the way down to 3.1 volts where the 18650 will call it quits just south of 3.7. I agree the dual 18650 parallel is ideal but at that point why not go for the 200 derated to 133? But the point was to end up with a smaller device and with either board and dual 18650s it just doesn't happen.

Eta: yes the 18650 contains a similar amount of power, but once the first 20% is used the voltage/amperage sags to below useable levels, the lipo does not have this problem because you have 3 high "C" cells keeping that voltage above 9V vs one 18650 struggling to hold the line at three volts and 15-18 amps. The lipo will run 20-25 amps at 11.1v for a long time with no complaint.

Yep, that power abilities of lipo is great it just came at the cost of either going with a very small lipo or make a HUGE enclosure for it - this is why nobody buys a vaporshark or any others with small lipos (excluding your amazing mod that will defy size constraints). The hard part is after having numerous DNA200 mods, nothing compares and all the Chinese knock off's don't come close in performance. It would be nice to get Evolves 75watts in a package the size of a DNA40.

Oh yeah, I was in Canada last week so didn't get to ship the Mikro out. It will get to it you this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slots

Kentastic

Not Batman
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Central Californication
No problem on the Mikro. Personally I find it ideal to have 2 LBCs so you can trade back and forth. And for the record at 50-60 watts it takes me 2 8.5ml bottles to drain one battery, compare that to what you wish.

Well I'll tell you that my experience with the Hobo-X dna200 with a 900mah battery was about 3 hours vaping at 50-60 watts, before it died. So it may be a wonderful vape while the battery lasts, I can't hang with a mod that I have to stop using in that small amount of timeframe. If you could just pop the battery out and stick a fully charged one in, then it wouldn't be a big deal at all, but it's very frustrating when you have to stop using a mod so you can recharge it. Someone needs to figure out a quick-change method so you can just bring a couple extra batteries and a bottle of juice when you leave for work in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread