Cloupor mini caught fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qttash

Jan 25, 2015
Thank you! You know what's weird? I can't charge it while it's turned off..both this device and the last one I had. If I turn it off, it doesn't charge at all...and I believe there is direct instruction to not charge it from a computer or car charger...so I'm trying to be as cautious as possible. I think I'm going to have to get a separate charger for the battery and nor take the chance with plugging the device itself into an outlet

Fergie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Toronto, Canada,
Thank you! You know what's weird? I can't charge it while it's turned off..both this device and the last one I had. If I turn it off, it doesn't charge at all...and I believe there is direct instruction to not charge it from a computer or car charger...so I'm trying to be as cautious as possible. I think I'm going to have to get a separate charger for the battery and nor take the chance with plugging the device itself into an outlet

On mine, if I turn it off and plug in the USB to my computer, it turns the unit on and starts to charge.

mfdj2

Jan 31, 2015
In the clouds
"I think he is confusing me with the original post i am replying too. My heating up and draining the battery occurred 2 weeks ago and I have been in contact with Cloupor since then. I didn't go public since my internet search did not show anyone with problems so I assumed it was an isolated case of one of their employees installing something wrong. Unlike others, mine did not burn up to remove the evidence since I removed the battery. Mine was in my pocket not being charged and turned off. What adds to the problem is that Cloupor fills behind the board with glue to hold the panel down which liquidizes when being overheated on its own that fuels the fire. So no the 15 second test should not be used since my unit worked fine until 2 weeks ago and never said Too Hot. And let us go into the ethics of the manufacture, if they knew there was a problem and made changes, why didn't they do a recall or inform the suppliers? It doesn't matter now since I am using another manufacture equipment for my vaping. Cloupor has requested me to do a video and I am getting the IR temperature gun to show the temperature increasing while the unit is off that drains the battery. I hope it doesn't catch on fire then."

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
So yours has not yet Failed........but may well be failing? Surprising but Good that you were able to catch it.

As long as you are Recording a test, let it go up if it will. Their problem not yours and I don't think you want it to happen later anyway.

It does seem to be a cascade failure.

As far as Changing parts in process - are we even sure Cloupor Makes the Boards? They could simply be passing along Data from Their batches and the Chip makers responses to questioning.

Joyetech did an eVic recall and a running part change in rapid order to get customers taken care of and Venders supplied with proper product when they had a component issue on the main board.
As to running changes. That is common in manufacturing thus rev1,2,etc. this is not an indication of a Defect/failure but simply an improvement in design/specification. This again could be at their supplier level and they may not have been aware.

Vapor Shark is a good example:
Many complaining customers - Display issues garbage/locking
Vapor shark makes the unit - the BOARD is DNA and out of their control. Corrections will be made, but it is taking time.

Last edited:

mattdarat

Jan 26, 2015
Posted by mattdarat

I recently bought the cloupor mini and am currently awaiting it's arrival. Just so everyone understands this is not every cloupor mini out there so there are environmental factors as well as manufacturing faults. The following point can be made from what I have read and saw.
Environmental? - Green House Gasses?
Environmental such as humidity, temperature, poor batteries anything that could be considered a variable in a testing environment.

1. On-board charging unit is not up to handling the charge and/or pass-through. Most of us who use mods with user serviceable batteries do not use on board charging so avoid this if you have a mini.
Many users report charging without any issues
This maybe true but I do not know anyone that actually uses on board charging in a user serviceable unit. I avoid it since I had an ego pop on me. it was simply a suggestion

2. The amp draw is causing a few boards to have catastrophic meltdown on the main board. This is usually due to a poor solder joint or a component failing and shorting out. Just because the device is idle at time of discovery does not mean that is when the device failed. Most electronics take awhile for this failure to reach such temperatures.
Max Amp Draw is designed NOT to exceed design parameters. You do not understand resistance increase or Short conditions. Sorry but in Electronics - Smoke is an EXCELLENT indicator of Failure NOW!
***as stated the amp draw was causing the failure. Hence the wrong ic was in and could not handle it. Smoke truly is a great sign something is wrong but it is NEVER immediate. I was simply trying to convey that the failure did not begin in sleep mode as some people have stated.

3. The likelihood of combustion of surrounding materials is slim. Most DC low voltage battery operated devices cannot reach temperature levels of combustion.
Melting/possible combustion is on the BOARD side, not the battery side.
*** wow please read what I said. This is a low voltage device it will drain the battery before combustion happens. I did not say where the product was failing simply stating that combustion is unlikely. This comes from years of firefighting experience were electronics melt down and smoke out a house but still can't reach combustion temperatures.

3. Not all vendors have had this issue and some will continue to carry the device. This leads to the thought that this maybe a batch issue.A plausible likelyhood
*** wow one thing you agreed with

Just a thought on this I believe that some of the hype over this issue is coming from people on the opposition. Although some maybe genuine problems we can't rule that user error or some other for of foul play was involved. Cloupor is looking into it and I trust they will do right by the customers when the come forward to cloupor.
I advocate wait and see what happens. I don't see reason to white wash with user error or Sabotage[/COLOR?
Also no reason for everyone to freak out like they did. Phil Busardo retracted his thumbs up and lots of people panicked.

:2cool:

let's have a vape

Qttash

Jan 25, 2015
Thank you Eric,
I appreciate and respect everyone's opinion and advice, I just wish people wouldn't belittle one another for difference of opinion/views.
Totally true that this could have completely changed my whole perception on vaping, and it would eventually affect the community. I still have a positive mind frame about it, so I'll continue to smoke mine!
I took all my precautions, my brother is an avid vaper. So I learned a lot from him. You are correct, it def wasn't user error (I don't think), and so far I'm pretty much ok with my new one!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Hope no-one feels I am belittling anyone. I do tend to get matter of fact. over 40yrs. in the Auto industry as a Technician and later Business owner has handed me a lot of hands on experience in DC electronics.
While I do not have the Degree and years of Classroom study, I have had my share of Tech school courses as well as a multitude of hours correcting real world problems Missed in Design.

I like to point out (My) thoughts on any given instance and do not mind being given the thoughts of someone with a different view. How else would we ever learn?

As always

Be Safe and Vape on :vapor:

gmoney$

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2013
California
I have to say my peace of mind from yesterday has evaporated in confusion. I can't follow who's talking to whom, who is eric, and the ability to keep the situations/serial numbers synced is eluding me. Probably inevitable product of the cross pollination I catalyzed... Can anyone tell/find out if there are documented melt downs outside of SN 0002xxx?

Qttash

Jan 25, 2015
I have to say my peace of mind from yesterday has evaporated in confusion. I can't follow who's talking to whom, who is eric, and the ability to keep the situations/serial numbers synced is eluding me. Probably inevitable product of the cross pollination I catalyzed... Can anyone tell/find out if there are documented melt downs outside of SN 0002xxx?

Sorry, I'm new, and I've just learned how to properly reply to threads....i think lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread