Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
E-cigarette poisonings in kids skyrocket, study finds - CNN.com

You can respond on Twitter or Facebook.
"This is not primarily a parenting problem," Smith said. "The best parent in the world cannot watch their child every second. Rather, this is another example of a highly dangerous product being introduced into the places where young children live and play without adequate regard for child safety."

I tweeted "e-liquid poisoning IS a parenting problem. Every bottle says "poison." Responsible parents keep it under lock & key."

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
There have been maybe a 1500% increase in calls to the poison control center.
There is a zero % increase in poisoning. No national reporting of actual poisonings.
No local reporting of actual poisonings. No real reporting's of actual poisonings
anywhere.
The actual increase in calls is mostly due to sabotage by the ANTZ.
I do not need any proof. No one i know nor no one here has reported
they have poisoned their child nor has known of any vaper having poisoned
their child. This subterfuge is as plain as the nose on my face.
Pictures or it didn't happen.
Regards
Mike

Last edited:

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
Where is the study? I'd like to see the selection criteria for events... Are they counting every poison control center call as an actual case of ingestion?
No idea. Ask them if it's available.

I'm really sick of reading percentage increase in vaping in the last X years. Why not say it's increased an infinite amount in the last decade?

Tufur

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2014
San Jose, Ca. usa
Reactions: Poeia

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
I am getting an outrage overload. This poison report BS, plus some stupid "study" "heart" report that vaping is worse than cigarettes on the heart or something like that, and then that ignorant nitwit from the AHA applauding the FDA for putting vaping firmly back in the hands of BT is DRIVING ME NUTS! Everywhere I look, it's like freaking Whack-a-Mole. I've been refuting the junk all day, where there's actually an opportunity to do so, and now I just want to go berserk and go out and kill all those ignorant criminal troglodytes.....blood and guts splattered everywhere! Yeah baby!....... ARRRRGGGGHHH

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
Study: E-cigarette poisonings up in young kids
Study: E-cigarette poisonings surge in young children.
The above article could answer some of your questions about numbers. What I want to know is how many kids died in smoking related fires during the same time period?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
THE NUMBERS

Monthly calls about young kids' swallowing, inhaling or touching e-cigarettes climbed from 14 early on to 223 by the study's end. Calls totaled 4,128 during the study. Most children were age 2 or younger.

The cases represent 14 percent of the nearly 30,000 calls about kids' exposure to nicotine and tobacco products during that time.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
THE NUMBERS

Monthly calls about young kids' swallowing, inhaling or touching e-cigarettes climbed from 14 early on to 223 by the study's end. Calls totaled 4,128 during the study. Most children were age 2 or younger.

The cases represent 14 percent of the nearly 30,000 calls about kids' exposure to nicotine and tobacco products during that time.

Any change in calls regarding cigarettes and other ordinary tobacco products? Seems like they should be going down since so many have quit in recent years.

Reactions: Lessifer

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Study: E-cigarette poisonings up in young kids
Study: E-cigarette poisonings surge in young children.
The above article could answer some of your questions about numbers. What I want to know is how many kids died in smoking related fires during the same time period?

The article claims there was one death and several children suffered complications.
The first quote by Dr. Smith is out of context. He was discussing the study not the
death or harm the article mentions. The study is a categorical break down of specific
concerns of calls related to e-liquid. Many of these calls are just informational
inquiries. Mistakes,ie, my child is behaving weird I think he swallowed some thing
or,if my child did swallow this what would happen. Most incidents involving actual
poisoning of a child never reach the call center. Most people would call there Doctor
or in the case the child is in obvious distress of some sort, 911.
Here is a quote from the article.
""Many emergency physicians are going, 'What the heck, this is really a problem, why aren't they doing anything about it?'" she said."
What is the context to this quote? Does this actually refer to specific cases that emergency
physicians are aware of or,the amount of calls to the call center?

Reread the article. This is a classic case of sensationalism. The article as a whole does not
mean children are being poisoned right and left. Some children may have been poisoned but,
the study doesn't indicate who,when or,where. These are just call logs from the poison center
not,admittance logs from a emergency room. The standard required responce to any call
where there is any doubt or ambiguty concerning an actual poisoning of a child or even
ingestion of something that probably isn't that harmful is to bring the child to the emergency room.
Regards
Mike

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
The article claims there was one death and several children suffered complications.
The first quote by Dr. Smith is out of context. He was discussing the study not the
death or harm the article mentions. The study is a categorical break down of specific
concerns of calls related to e-liquid. Many of these calls are just informational
inquiries. Mistakes,ie, my child is behaving weird I think he swallowed some thing
or,if my child did swallow this what would happen. Most incidents involving actual
poisoning of a child never reach the call center. Most people would call there Doctor
or in the case the child is in obvious distress of some sort, 911.
Here is a quote from the article.
""Many emergency physicians are going, 'What the heck, this is really a problem, why aren't they doing anything about it?'" she said."
What is the context to this quote? Does this actually refer to specific cases that emergency
physicians are aware of or,the amount of calls to the call center?

Reread the article. This is a classic case of sensationalism. The article as a whole does not
mean children are being poisoned right and left. Some children may have been poisoned but,
the study doesn't indicate who,when or,where. These are just call logs from the poison center
not,admittance logs from a emergency room. The standard required responce to any call
where there is any doubt or ambiguty concerning an actual poisoning of a child or even
ingestion of something that probably isn't that harmful is to bring the child to the emergency room.
Regards
Mike
Thank you! I suspected as much. Sadly what goes out first, as big a lie and fraud as it is, is what the uninformed will take away as fact. Western world reporting today is on a worse level than any "journalism" in the National Enquirer or Star magazines.

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
I found it interesting that it said that most affected kids had symptoms lasting two hours or less. Not to trivialize their distress during those two hours, but compare it to he "distress" of getting the common cold! That could last for a week or more!

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
With all the corruption going on at the FDA, there may have been a program to call the poison control center asking questions as part of the propaganda campaign against ecigs.

With the spurious replies that they give to some serious comments in the final deeming, it is unquestionable as to their dishonesty and absolute insistence to end ecigs as we know them.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
With all the corruption going on at the FDA, there may have been a program to call the poison control center asking questions as part of the propaganda campaign against ecigs.

With the spurious replies that they give to some serious comments in the final deeming, it is unquestionable as to their dishonesty and absolute insistence to end ecigs as we know them.
4,000 calls in a 3 year period. It's a blip in the data of poison control center calls.

There were over a million "exposures" of children ages 0-5 in 2014 alone. 223 of those calls were related to e-cigs.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
@Kent C I have stated unequivocally that a lot of these calls are spamming by
our opponents. In the almost three years I have been here and other related forums
I have never seen a post indicating that any poster has first hand knowledge or
even second hand knowledge of child ingesting nicotine. The only reports I am aware
of in the news is the child in NY and a child in Israel form further back in time unfortunately
both resulting in death. There were maybe 1 or 2 other incidents discussed on forums.
That's it. There are one and a half million people living in the seven county metro area
here and,never one report however benign has been reported locally.
Regards
Mike

NanW

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2012
Hawaii
Hello, this was my response to my local media reporting of this ridiculous, well nice words fail me, story.
By the way if this helps in any way please share far and wide.

So those were the number of calls to the poison control hotline, yes? And not the number of poison cases admitted to local emergency rooms, yes? When my daughter was 1-3 years old I must have called poison control 10-20 times because she was into everything when I turned away for exactly 2-5 seconds.Not one, not one time did she need to go to the hospital! My lovely daughter is now a healthy 10 year old! These statistics, in my opinion, are extremely misleading. Please, please educate yourselves before you judge and condemn a product that has the potential to save millions of smokers from death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread